LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 2 ]  33%

66%
  [ 4 ]  66%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 6
Glamdring
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:13 pm
--- description ---
This is a very short article, but it explains how every LOTR player should act when playing a game.
--- end description ---

Never give up. Never, never, never give up~ A famous man in history was once asked to give a speech, and everyone, who was their listening, did not forget his famous words because they were so short and straight to the point. So the same goes for LOTR playing. When I have played in the past (I must be honest with myself) I have been a bad example in the area of bad-sportsmanship. I would get angry, and be rude (especially with my brother) with people around me becuase of the lack of self-control. Now, many LOTR players probably have this problem (I know I do), so I decided to list some thoughts on how a LOTR player should act. This article is short, but hopefully straight to the point I would like to come across. So here they are:
1. Never give up, even when you feel like you have already lost, our going to lose. This idea has played an important part in LOTR games for me, simply because sometimes I have won, even in the worst situations. Don’t let your mind get carried away psychologically, think about the possibilities of just surviving, and never give up. If you do lose, think on how well you have fought, and remember that you never gave up, and you will do better next time. LOTR players stick in there! You haven’t lost until you have actually experienced it!
2. Remain calm: When playing a very strategical LOTR game, I tend to tense up and forget many options(like healing yourself at site 6 etc.) and sometimes I end up losing the game because of my tense emotions bubbling inside of me. Ever have that feeling? I think the best way to calm down, is to look at the positive side of your deck. Examine the strengths of your fellowship/shadow, and try to just hang in there, and do your best as I stated in number 1 about never giving up. Or, if you really need to, take a break and think about something else. I usually have a book right by me and I usually read it (this happens when I am playing my brother, don’t do this at a tournament) while my opponent is using the restroom, or taking long while deciding what cards to place down.
3. Don’t let pride control you: When playing games, whenever I would become a little prideful and think that I will beat him no matter what he does, I would usually lose, because I was thinking of myself. When you are so involved in pride, you mainly tend to think of yourself, and do not care about what the person is playing, because you are so indestructible! WRONG! An old Jappanese proverb states: "Always treat your opponent as though he is better than you. Fighting to survive is more deadly than fighting to defeat your opponent." That statement is so true in LOTR TCG. Psychologically, when fighting to survive, you tend to notice and observe more weaknesses in your opponents Fellowship/Shadow, and tend to take care on everything you do. Whereas, when fighting to destroy your opponent, (usually) all your mind is set towards his Fellowship. It can be a good thing, but sometimes it can become overboard with discarding important Free Peoples cards in the hope of getting an important Shadow card.
4. Have a Sportmanship attitude: If you have played your best, this will come more natural to you. Without playing your best, well that’s a different story. Having a sportsman attitude will bring honor to your opponent, and even accepting the thought of losing, without embarrassing yourself in front of the whole tournament. A Sportsmanship attitude is very important in LOTR tournaments, and games.
5. Patience: Patience is a very important virtue! Patience lets you build up a strong shadow/fellowship, without rushing throughout the game in a frantic hurry. I’ve seen so many LOTR players rush, trying to win the game, when patience seems much easier. In the end, some of them lose. I am not saying you should not rush, it is just when you have to be patient, and when you have to rush. You are not forced to rush anything in LOTR games, unless it comes to running out of time(like at a local tourney).
6. Self Control: Try to mantain your self-control. It helps prevent against the urge to rush through your deck, and it builds patience.
7. Don’t look around you, or pay attention to remarks made from the player! When playing Pipeweed one time, he bluffed, and I double moved into his super archery bomb. Guess what, I died! When playing a game, sometimes the opponent will pretend he is in ultimate shock about not having a single minion in his hand. Sometimes they tell the truth, others not, but just be careful in how you deal with the statements made by your opponent.

Well, that’s is all I had in mind. I just thought I would design this article to remind any LOTR player of how he should handle himself, and how to be careful of the Pyschology involving you mind. Anyway, I hope this helps in your games.

-Glamdring-
Great minds think alike.~CarpeGuitarrem
Rangers will rule the World!! (CC's Official Ranger Lover)
My Haves/Wants Please look!!

...much debate much hard feelings. ~SOP
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:27 pm
This article looks very similar to CG’s article Psych! written in December. Your paragraphs could use spacing, and the article was quite short. I will vote later.
I had to put something here.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:18 am
Not really like pych, cause it covered a wider variety of stuff.

The article was so-so, basically a rehash on what every decent player should already know. 2-3 currently, but I’ll wait to vote.

And is this your second article this month? Good going! GP for that!

EDIT: As soon as I can muster some up...
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:34 pm
Okay, I see you haven’t made any changes, and with the month winding down, I’m going to have to vote now. Try to get your articles in sooner. I was leaning towards a 2, but I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt and giving you a three.

Sorry, but it needed a lot of work. And it was short, and a rehash of what everyone should know.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:59 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I don’t have any particular problem with the article’s theme, since although it’s stuff most people should know, some of them don’t! However, I have a lot of problems with the article itself. It’s too short, too shallow, and needs too much improvement in writing style, it lacks a certain... formality? Not the word I’m quite looking for, but seriously, you’re writing, not speaking directly to another person, so the way you approach things tend sto be slightly different. Even if you use a relaxed writing style, it’s still a writing style. Also, as I said before, there’s SO MUCH you could add in, like for instance, examples! When did lack of self-control cost you a match? What happened exactly? I mean, if it was such a remarkable experience, you should remember it, otherwise, it just seems as you made it up. I would normally rate this article a 1 or 2, but since it won’t affect the results of the Contest in any way, I’ll refrain from voting (and taking away your gp), but leave my word of advice: it’s better to post a well-made, well-thought of article next month, than posting a hasted one this month.
I don't like YOU.
Glamdring
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:13 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
I don’t have any particular problem with the article’s theme, since although it’s stuff most people should know, some of them don’t! However, I have a lot of problems with the article itself. It’s too short, too shallow, and needs too much improvement in writing style, it lacks a certain... formality? Not the word I’m quite looking for, but seriously, you’re writing, not speaking directly to another person, so the way you approach things tend sto be slightly different. Even if you use a relaxed writing style, it’s still a writing style. Also, as I said before, there’s SO MUCH you could add in, like for instance, examples! When did lack of self-control cost you a match? What happened exactly? I mean, if it was such a remarkable experience, you should remember it, otherwise, it just seems as you made it up. I would normally rate this article a 1 or 2, but since it won’t affect the results of the Contest in any way, I’ll refrain from voting (and taking away your gp), but leave my word of advice: it’s better to post a well-made, well-thought of article next month, than posting a hasted one this month.

That’s the reason I decided to post this strategy article. I didn’t do it to win, all I wanted to do is remind the LOTR players that have forgotten about these things.

Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:21 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Oh... Think Well, then, SWEEEEEEEET!!!!! Homage
I don't like YOU.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:16 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
It was OK, but really not spectacular, it was positive though
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Glamdring
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:42 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
It was OK, but really not spectacular, it was positive though

I wasn’t trying to make it spetacular, I was trying to get a point across. Cool

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:19 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
yeah I know. I did give you a 4 Cool
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest