LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:06 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
hum, I like M64’s idea. But I don’t think I quite understand it still, but if that is what you are getting at CG please say so.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:48 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Yes, M64 has it. Basically, we’re starting from scratch and giving each culture new attributes. In addition, I’d like to keep cultural enforcement to a minimum here. Basically, if you want your deck to work, you either have to set up a good rainbow or have a culture or two that work together well.

Example: Dwarven might deal a lot with tokens, using tokens as resources in lieu of twilight. (e.g., a 0 twilight companion, but you have to remove 2 Dwarven tokens to play him) Maybe refer directly to Dwarven tokens, maybe just refer to tokens in general.

Or: cards like Stand to Arms would just read like this: "If you have initiative, discard two cards from hand to wound a roaming minion skirmishing a companion twice." Then, Gondor rangers would have ways to make minions roaming, thus maximum effectiveness for them, not as effective for others.

I’d also like to keep the number of unloaded keywords down, because unloaded keywords only mean that you’re creating enforced cultures.

Anyway, it’s a different idea, but I think it’s able to be pulled off, at least for FP. Shadow might be tricky, because there’s so many cultures.

Good stuff, M64! I like this organization!
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
NBarden
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:12 am
wha...? looks confused.

Wait....Think NVM, I don’t get what you’re saying. I’d like to help, but sorry...I don’t get it...
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
BattleWarg
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:44 pm
I think I do understand this. Are we wanting to go back over the real sets to put them more in line with the ’culture stats’, or make new ones (obviously, we could do both...)

It provides an interesting idea, and would allow for much more effective multi-culture decks, which means multi-culture hate is much more effective as well (as it will be more common).

As for the 0-cost companion (I realize just an example, but a thought), what about a 2 (or 4) cost, but have ’When you play this companion, you may remove any number of tokens to reduce his twilight cost by -1 for each token removed (or -2 for each Dwarven token you remove).
Making him playable in tokenless decks, useful in decks with tokens, and very strong in Dwarven decks.

I like the idea for Stand to Arms. On unloaded keywords, I think that it would work better if they have cards that are more powerful with that keyword, but not necessary. But, we’d have to make sure it can cross cultures (like Ranger - and keep it across).

I think, once the numbers are balanced, it will make the Shadow sides better.

As for the abilities themselves, I think it might work better to be somewhat general, and have the more exact be worked out by combinations.

For example, have each phase (fellowship, maneuver, archery, assignment, skirmish, regroup), effects (wounding, healing, twilight pool, threats, burdens, weakening)

Then combine two for the game effect:
Archery + Wound = Boost fellowship archery total
Skirmish + Wound = Damage bonus
Fellowship + Healing = Remove wounds
Archery + Healing (or damage prevention) = Reduce minion archery total
Skirmish + Healing (or damage prevention) = Cancel damage bonuses or ’takes no more than 1 wound during each skirmish phase’
Assignment + Twilight Pool = Assign to reduce twilight
Skirmish + Twilight Pool = When he wins a skirmish, removes twilight
Skirmish + Threat = Add a threat to boost strength
Regroup + Threat = Remove threats during regroup
Fellowship + Burden = Remove a burden when moving
etc.

Just some thoughts...
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:48 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
ditto NBarden, me no understandey.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:50 pm
BattleWarg, I love your idea for outlining things. That would make things really easy to set up, since it’s systematic.

BattleWarg wrote:
For example, have each phase (fellowship, maneuver, archery, assignment, skirmish, regroup), effects (wounding, healing, twilight pool, threats, burdens, weakening)

Good idea!! I’d just say change "weakening" to "strength modification".

So...

Fellowship: Logically, Elven, Gandalf, and maybe even Shire.
Maneuver: Elven, Gondor, Rohan (military tactics).
Archery: Elven, Gondor, possibly Shire.
Assignment: Gondor, Shire, Gollum, possibly Elven.
Skirmish: Gondor, Dwarven, Rohan.
Regroup: Elven, Gondor, Gandalf.

You like it? Although I wonder...Dwarven isn’t very present here.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
BattleWarg
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:47 am
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
BattleWarg, I love your idea for outlining things. That would make things really easy to set up, since it’s systematic.

That’s kind of what I was thinking.

CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
So...

Fellowship: Logically, Elven, Gandalf, and maybe even Shire.
Maneuver: Elven, Gondor, Rohan (military tactics).
Archery: Elven, Gondor, possibly Shire.
Assignment: Gondor, Shire, Gollum, possibly Elven.
Skirmish: Gondor, Dwarven, Rohan.
Regroup: Elven, Gondor, Gandalf.

You like it? Although I wonder...Dwarven isn’t very present here.

Well, it can work. Obviously, these would be the ones that are strong in that phase.

Which means that strength is:
Dwarven = Skirmish (definite)
Elven = Fellowship, Maneuver, Archery, Assignment, Regroup
Gandalf = Fellowship, Regroup
Gollum = Assignment
Gondor = Maneuver, Archery, Assignment, Skirmish, Regroup
Rohan = Maneuver, Skirmish
Shire = Fellowship, Archery (currently not, but they could be a strong middle - 4/5 or 6-7/10), Assignment (should be, but I’m not sure if they are now)

Which implies that Dwarves would have amazing effects in the skirmish phase (or good abilities for cheap), and rohan would be good at skirmishing.
Gollum would basically be in control of the assignment phase, although Shire could rival at a couple sites, and Elves and Gondor might steal control for a site or two.

Which, oddly enough, seems that a Dwarven/Gollum deck would (in theory) be a powerful deck - use Gollum to assign minions, and Dwarven to kill them off.

I do think a numeric value would also help (in theory, each section should be equivalent between the cultures - which should be the average possible, so that a deck that’s just as good in any part of it would be average at everything). So, with a 1-5 scale (higher better), and 18 being the total between all, I’ll present:

Dwarven
Fellowship 4, Maneuver 4, Archery 1, Assignment 1, Skirmish 5, Regroup 3
Elven
Fellowship 4, Maneuver 2, Archery 5, Assignment 1, Skirmish 2, Regroup 4
Gandalf
Fellowship 4, Maneuver 3, Archery 2, Assignment 3, Skirmish 3, Regroup 3
Gollum
Fellowship 3, Maneuver 4, Archery 1, Assignment 5, Skirmish 2, Regroup 3
Gondor
Fellowship 3, Maneuver 2, Archery 4, Assignment 2, Skirmish 4, Regroup 3
Rohan
Fellowship 3, Maneuver 5, Archery 2, Assignment 1, Skirmish 4, Regroup 3
Shire
Fellowship 5, Maneuver 2, Archery 3, Assignment 4, Skirmish 2, Regroup 2

Of course, you get a better picture with other types of definition, but gives you an example of what cultures are/should be good at, and how they compare to another.

And assuming multi-culture decks would average the abilities (although it should be slightly above the average, if you focus):
Dwarven/Gollum = Fellowship 3.5, Maneuver 4, Archery 1, Assignment 3, Skirmish 3.5, Regroup 3 - Gollum loses a fair amount of assignment abilities, but is improved in everything else, while the Dwarven sacrifices pure strength for a much better assignment.
Dwarven/Rohan = Fellowship 3.5, Maneuver 4.5, Archery 1.5, Assignment 1, Skirmish 4.5, Regroup 3 - These two share most of the same strengths, so they remain about the same, so if you focus, it should be much better than other combos.
Elven/Gondor = Fellowship 3.5, Maneuver 2, Archery 4.5, Assignment 1.5, Skirmish 3, Regroup 3.5 - Much like Dwarven/Rohan, they share the same strengths, so Gondor gets a few new early tricks, and a good archery backup, but provide the skirmish abilities.

And, the average overall?
Fellowship 3 5/7, Maneuver 3 1/7, Archery 2 4/7, Assignment 2 3/7, Skirmish 3 1/7, Regroup 3

Which indicates: Most cards will be used in the Fellowship, Maneuver and Skirmish phases. A fair amount will be used in the Regroup. The Archery phase gets less than most, and it’s mostly Elven cards, plus some Gondor and Shire and few others. The Assignment phase gets the lest attention, and mostly just by Gollum and Shire.
I think that’s fairly accurate. It may or may not be what we’re going for, but it seems to reflect the current cards.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:14 pm
I like the analysis-I think we can stick with that! I also think that Dwarven could get Fellowship stuff in the form of mining, etc. Which could be very cool.

And about the effects...we’ve got wounding (or damage bonuses), healing, twilight pool, threats, burdens, strength modifying. I think I’d add deck searching in there.

Dwarven-wounding (skirmish phase, of course), strength bonuses. And probably deck searching.
Elven-wounding, healing, twilight pool, burdens
Gandalf-threats, burdens, healing
Gondor-threats, wounding, twilight pool
Gollum-twilight pool, threats
Rohan-threats, strength modifying
Shire-twilight pool, burdens

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards