LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:22 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Well since finishing with Gandalf Men back on February 15th, we’ve gone through TWO cultures already: Gollum and Shire. Not bad for only two weeks!

However, it’s time for another big culture: Mirkwood!

Green is by far the biggest culture in Lasting Alliances, thanks to it being A.) a big part of The Hobbit, B.) the first major "split" culture (meaning one with both a FP and Shadow side) since Gollum, and C.) having no less than 3 FP subcultures and 2 Shadow subcultures. There’s lots of stuff in here.

The FP side is currently just five cards short of the biggest Lasting Alliances FP culture (Dwarven), and the Shadow side is bigger than even Moria and lags only behind Orc, which holds lots of Orcs, Trolls, and Dragons. Twisted Evil

All this to say: Green makes a big, big impact in Lasting Alliances, and while not nearly as large in my other sets, it never goes away. If you were to play a game with the cards in my sets, you’re more than likely going to have Green make an appearance in SOME player’s deck.

Thanks to a three-way tie in my What next for Dáin’s DC Duos? poll a few weeks back, the FP side of Mirkwood is what we’ll cover first.

But even there, it’s tough to know where to start. There are four FP races in Green, and each one has quite different, quite specialized cards around it. Radagast and his couple of support cards we have already covered, so that’s out. But that still leaves a very important Man, some important birds, and a whole bunch of non-Elven Elves. Very Happy

I think we’ll start with the Man, and then I’ll decide where to go from there.

Dáin’s DC Duos #63

Yes, it’s finally time for some actual cards! Very Happy

This particular Man I’m talking about almost ended up in the Gandalf culture. But then the Lakemen got bigger and bigger, and this guy didn’t seem to fit too well anymore. So I figured that, for several reasons, he fit much better with his own slice of the Green culture.

And here he is, with a possession thrown in for a Grand Opening bonus. Razz Enjoy!

5Beorn, Skin-changer Green
Companion • Man
Strength: 10
Vitility: 4
Signet: Gandalf
Beorn may not bear armor.
While skirmishing an Orc, Beorn is damage +1.
Beorn takes no more than one wound per phase (except during the archery phase).
“‘He changes his skin: sometimes he is a huge black bear, sometimes he is a great strong black-haired man with huge arms and a great beard.’”

5Beorn, Keeper of the Ford Green
Companion • Man
Signet: Elrond
While the fellowship is at any site 6 or higher, Beorn is damage +1.
Regroup: Exert Beorn twice (or once if the fellowship is at a forest or river) to heal a companion.
“Standing near was a huge man with a thick black beard and hair, and great bare arms and legs with knotted muscles.”

2Beorn’s Axe Green
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3
Bearer must be Beorn.
When played at site 6 [LA], this possession’s twilight cost is -1.
Skirmish events may not be played and skirmish special abilities may not be used in skirmishes involving Beorn.
“He was clothed in a tunic of wool down to his knees, and was leaning on a large axe.”

Needless to say, Beorn is a pure, unabashed beat-stick. (The four support cards we’ll get to in following Duos only emphasize this.) His stats are huge, putting even Aragorn, Boromir, and Gandalf to shame, especially when he’s got his axe in hand. You pay a hefty price for it, though: 5 twilight means he will never start in your fellowship, and once you DO get him out, gives the Shadow players a lot of twilight to do something nasty of their own. But for pure brute force, it’s hard to top him.

Both versions are tough, but Skin-changer is particularly hard to take down thanks to his wound-limiting text. He’s even nastier against Orcs.

Keeper of the Ford is no chump either, though. He gets a damage bonus against ALL enemies later in the sitepath, and he’s got some really nice healing too, which can come in especially useful on the Lasting Alliances sitepath from sites 6-8, which are virtually all forests or rivers as the fellowship moves through Mirkwood and Laketown.

Give him Beorn’s Axe and the beatdowns really get ugly. Not only can enemies in Beorn’s skirmish not fight back effectively, but ALL Shadow skirmish abilities from ANY minion or event are useless against him. You better hope your minions have some big-time weapons of their own, or they’re in big-time trouble! Twisted Evil

Like I said, there’s four more Beorn-related cards, meaning two Duos’ worth. Fast reviews means you get more Duos today, so we might be able to get through ALL of his cards and be ready to dive into another race tomorrow. And remember, with this being a new thread, the GPs are ready to fly again. Your first review nets you a GP! Very Happy
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:52 am; edited 30 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
NBarden
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:28 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Companion • Man
Beorn may not take more than one wound each phase (except during the skirmish phase).
“‘He changes his skin: sometimes he is a huge black bear, sometimes he is a great strong black-haired man with huge arms and a great beard.’”

Nice card, but why not one wound in the skirmish phase?

Companion • Man
Regroup: Exert Beorn twice (or once if the fellowship is at a forest or river) to heal a companion.
“Standing near was a huge man with a thick black beard and hair, and great bare arms and legs with knotted muscles.”

Again, nice, but I think he needs a self-healing ability like Grimbeorn.

2Beorn’s Axe Green
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3
Bearer must be Beorn.
Skirmish events and skirmish special abilities may not target Beorn.
“He was clothed in a tunic of wool down to his knees, and was leaning on a large axe.”

Skirmish events may not be played and skirmish special abilities may not be used in skirmishes involving Beorn. Nice card.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:44 am
NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Beorn may not take more than one wound each phase (except during the skirmish phase).

Nice card, but why not one wound in the skirmish phase?

Eh, I didn’t want him to be TOO hard to kill in skirmishes. You think I should change it?

NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man

Again, nice, but I think he needs a self-healing ability like Grimbeorn.

The only problem is that his healing would be too good then, I think. With four vitality, he can spread out 3 healings in one pop at a forest or river. With him healing on top of that...seemed like too much.

NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Beorn’s Axe Green
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3
Bearer must be Beorn.
Skirmish events and skirmish special abilities may not target Beorn.

Skirmish events may not be played and skirmish special abilities may not be used in skirmishes involving Beorn. Nice card.

I’ll change it, but the reason I worded it like I did was that I didn’t want cards that wound or exert companions in ANY skirmish to work on him either. Know what I mean? But I guess there’s not too many of those, so like I said, I’ll change it to that.

As promised, GP for the review. Thanks!
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:55 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man

This is one of those cases where his last ability hurts more than helps. If you run up against archery, your Ring-bearer is the one who will be hurt instead of Beorn, which is not a good thing.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man

Cool.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Beorn’s Axe Green
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3
Bearer must be Beorn.
Skirmish events may not be played and skirmish special abilities may not be used in skirmishes involving Beorn.

This is interesting. Keep in mind that it’ll prevent you from using skirmish events and/or skirmish special abilities, so Beorn will only be able to beat minions with strength 12 or less.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:08 pm
AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man

This is one of those cases where his last ability hurts more than helps. If you run up against archery, your Ring-bearer is the one who will be hurt instead of Beorn, which is not a good thing.

Hmmm. Good point.

Okay, how about if I say "except during archery and skirmish phases"? Or should I just do "except during the archery phase"?

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Beorn’s Axe Green
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3
Bearer must be Beorn.

This is interesting. Keep in mind that it’ll prevent you from using skirmish events and/or skirmish special abilities, so Beorn will only be able to beat minions with strength 12 or less.

Understood. It’s designed that way intentionally. It basically turns the battle into a slugfest; can a minion pump up to 13 or more with only cards they bear? That can be tough, especially for most Uruks and Orcs and even for Nazgul. The only Nazgul that could beat a 13-strength companion without any pumps is the Witch-king!

It’s a gamble for sure, especially once you see the cards this precludes Beorn from using. But it’s one that can often pay off.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:12 pm
Okay, I think that’s enough reviewing for now. Let’s get to a couple more Beorn cards.

Dáin’s DC Duos #64

Beorn’s Axe from the last Duo makes him strength 13, meaning any minion with strength of 12 or less is in trouble when facing him, especially since they ALSO can’t use skirmish abilities or skirmish events and gain additional pumps or wounding ability that way. However, as AC noticed, that also means that Beorn can’t use any skirmish abilities/events either.

"Big deal!", you say. "At 13 strength, who needs any skirmish events?" If this sounds like you, then the following cards may change your mind a bit. Enjoy!

1 His Wrath Was Redoubled Green
Event • Skirmish
Make each minion skirmishing Beorn lose all strength and damage bonuses from possessions and artifacts.
“...nothing could withstand him, and no weapon seemed to bite upon him. He scattered the bodyguard, and pulled down Bolg himself and crushed him.”

3 In Bear’s Shape Green
Event • Skirmish
Make Beorn damage +1 until the regroup phase. Then you may add up to 3 threats to make Beorn strength +2 for each threat you add in this way until the regroup phase.
“The roar of his voice was like drums and guns; and he tossed wolves and goblins from his path like straws and feathers. He fell upon their rear, and broke like a clap of thunder through the ring.”
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:04 am; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:14 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 His Wrath Was Redoubled [Mirkwood]
Event • Skirmish
Make each minion skirmishing Beorn lose all strength and damage bonuses from possessions and artifacts.
“...nothing could withstand him, and no weapon seemed to bite upon him. He scattered the bodyguard, and pulled down Bolg himself and crushed him.”

Sweet card!

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 In Bear’s Shape [Mirkwood]
Event • Skirmish
Make Beorn damage +1 until the regroup phase. Then you may add up to 3 threats. Until the regroup phase, make Beorn strength +2 for each threat you add.
“The roar of his voice was like drums and guns; and he tossed wolves and goblins from his path like straws and feathers. He fell upon their rear, and broke like a clap of thunder through the ring.”

Great card! GP
I had to put something here.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:51 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Companion • Man
Beorn may not take more than one wound each phase (except during archery and skirmish phases).
hum. the second ability seems worthless, make it either archery or skirmish but not both.

Companion • Man
how about to heal a companion with the gandalf or elrond signet? something like that?

2Beorn’s Axe Green
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3
Bearer must be Beorn.

boy it just seems so good. 3 cost maybe?
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:53 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Okay, I think that’s enough reviewing for now. Let’s get to a couple more Beorn cards.
my bad, I didn’t see this

Event • Skirmish
make all minions... might be the correct wording.

2 In Bear’s Shape Green
Event • Skirmish
Make Beorn damage +1 until the regroup phase. Then you may add up to 3 threats. Until the regroup phase, make Beorn strength +2 for each threat you add.

make it only +1 IMO.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
raptor22
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:48 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Dáin’s DC Duos #64

Beorn’s Axe from the last Duo makes him strength 13, meaning any minion with strength of 12 or less is in trouble when facing him, especially since they ALSO can’t use skirmish abilities or skirmish events and gain additional pumps or wounding ability that way. However, as AC noticed, that also means that Beorn can’t use any skirmish abilities/events either.

"Big deal!", you say. "At 13 strength, who needs any skirmish events?" If this sounds like you, then the following cards may change your mind a bit. Enjoy!

Event • Skirmish

I like!

2 In Bear’s Shape Green
Event • Skirmish

So, this is supposed to work around the axe right? You play this in a someone else’s skirmish and Beorn gets the bounus "until the regroup phase" so the axe won’t block it. Is that how it’s supposed to be?

Nice though!

Also, both your Beorns say "Beorn may not bear Armor." I think this is a little specific. Maybe "Beorn may not bear armor possessions." instead?

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards