LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
25%
  [ 2 ]  25%

50%
  [ 4 ]  50%

25%
  [ 2 ]  25%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 8
Theoden_Horse-master
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:59 pm
--- description ---
This strategy combines the new Bloodlines cards with older token and Royal Rohan based cards to trample anything in their path.
--- end description ---

Do you remember when at the start of every regroup phase your opponent was left with little to no minions and the ones that did survive were exhausted? Do you remember the feeling of invulnerability as you moved on, and nothing could stop you? Now it all returns when Decipher releases the new Lord of the Rings TCG set Bloodlines.
With the following new cards, we can return to the Royal Rohan decks with all royal characters.

Eowyn, Restless Warrior
Theoden, The Renowned
King’s Board

If we add Eomer, we can boost any one of them to easily defeat any minion. Since we are playing with Tower block, it’s hard to resist the pressure to use Third Marshal, with the +2 for each wound, so I’ll just give in and use him. Then, to make sure we get the most from the tokens, we’ll use Aragorn, Defender of Free Peoples.
I’d choose to start with a Gamling, DotH and Eomer, TMoR. The point is to pull possessions with Gamling, kill him off by site 4-5 and then bring Aragorn out.

Let’s set up the token-based game.

The following are new cards that play with tokens:
Freely Across Our Land
Wind-Swept Homestead
Snowmane, Noble Mearas
Firefoot, Mearas of the Mark

Because of the nature of Snowmane and Firefoot, they must be played while you have conditions out. To get full usage of these, let’s add Charged Headlong, Unyielding, and Merry, Swordthain to discard/retrieve (and to liberate sites and wound minions with Unyielding) the possessions and reinforce additional tokens. Merry can also double as an archery pincushion to absorb wounds, then to return him to hand. (You might consider using a muster to discard him and then Knocked on the Head to bring him back for a double move.)

Now to bring back some old goodies: Doom Drove them and We Left None Alive. With these out, Theoden can easily exhaust a minion by pulling 2 tokens (all others can exhaust by pulling tokens off of Doom Drove them), and boost strength with We Left None Alive.

I’ll add Simbelmyne to help bring things out.

Possessions:
Herugrim, SotM
Eomer’s Spear
Eowyn’s Sword, DB
Rider’s Spear
Ranger’s Sword, BoA

Some basic strength boosters can never hurt

Riddermark Javelin x4
I use these instead of Rider’s Bow because I like to be able to get out of trouble and wound minions without having to win skirmishes (which allows me to win more skirmishes.) After discarding, I can throw tokens off of Freely Across Our Land, use Charged Headlong or Merry’s effect to get them back and set up for a double move.

Windfola
Brego
Rider’s Mount

With Brego, I can use Aragorn to pull tokens off in the regroup phase to wound minions to set up for a double move. The healing helps too.

Rohirrim Helm x2
The helms are to get out of trouble when there are too many high strength minions out. (For instance if a troll is facing Theoden, I pull 2 tokens to exhaust it then cancel with Helm)

This gives us a list of:
Companions:
Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark starting
Gamling, Defender of the Hornburg starting
Theoden, The Renowned
Eowyn, Restless Warrior
Aragorn, Defender of Free Peoples
Merry, Swordthain x2

Possessions:
Herugrim, Sword of the Mark
Eomer’s Spear
Ranger’s Sword, Blade of Aragorn
Eowyn’s Sword, Dernhelm’s Blade
Riddermark Javelin x4
Windfola
Brego
Snowmane, Noble Mearas
Firefoot, Mearas of the Mark
Rohirrim Helm x2

Conditions:
King’s Board
We Left None Alive x2
Doom Drove them x2
Wind-Swept Homestead
Freely Across Our Land x2

Events:
Simbelmyne x2
Charged Headlong x2
Unyielding x2

Which gives us a solid 35 cards to work with.
So try it out, and have fun watching your opponent’s minions be trampled to the ground by the mounted Eomer, Theoden and Aragorn.
Last edited by Theoden_Horse-master on Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total~Death they cried, with one voice loud and terrible~
Cobra
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:47 pm
Nice article, lots of unanswered questions though! Matchup analysis is the main thing missing. Some comments about what sites and Shadow side to use with this would be good too.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
AdultLink
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:37 pm
Frankly, I liked your article, but I thought it needed a little more to be truly top-class. I was looking for a way to get out of the large size of your deck (36 is a huge amount if you play with certain shadow cultures), and also I believe that when you replay the horses, you are not allowed to re-reinforce tokens. You said "I usually leave one companion open so I can move either Firefoot or Snowmane around to throw tokens on to anything."
I did like your Gamling-posession pull. But also I think you're leaving yourself a little open with no posession or condition removal. Just some thoughts. I hope I'm not being to critcal.
Haves/Wants
Uncle_Sam
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:16 pm
Good article. I think AdultLink is right, it's a when effect, not an each time. I would use the Eowyn from Bloodlines to reinforce more tokens. How about using Charged Headlong or using valiant companions and Let us be Swift?
Cobra
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:48 am
I'm not sure there's a distinction between "when" and "each time." But it is correct that moving Firefoot around won't produce more tokens, because Firefoot only reinforces a token when played, not when transferred.

You could consider a couple copies of Merry, Swordthain so you can actually re-play Firefoot if you want (good combo with Dernhelm's Blade too). Taking three wounds and then returning to hand is also killer against archery, so the Rohirrim Shields could be dropped to make room.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Theoden_Horse-master
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:28 pm
Thank you all for the suggestions! Edits forthcoming.
~Death they cried, with one voice loud and terrible~
Theoden_Horse-master
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:01 am
Ok, it's been edited. Thanks again for the suggestions.
exarrkun
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:08 pm
good article

have you ever thaught of putting some sword racks in this deck?
it would been great for your helms and javelins.

i play rohan too Wink Twisted Evil
a story that has a happy ending is a story that isn't over yet...
Theoden_Horse-master
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:26 pm
I have, but freely across our land felt better. When I tried to put sword rack, I always flooded the pool and I couldn't choose which possession I wanted to stack.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!
ingold55
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:05 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
Congratulations Theoden_Horse-master! Very Happy
There is a power in this world beyond any of us, and Jesus is that power and The Savior.

Cool this is my attempt to look cool.
Trade list (Want Balrogs and Aragorns)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest