LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:22 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
It’s time!

According to our poll, Gondor and the Green Shadow side have ended in a draw. So, I’ll use my tiebreaker vote and go for the one I’ve been preparing for since it jumped out to an early lead, so...

Dáin’s DC Duos #125

...Gondor! We’ll see it done. Very Happy

Today begins Lasting AlliancesGondor culture, and in essense, it also begins an all-new side of the set. Up until now, most of the cards have been based off characters and events from The Hobbit: Thorin’s Company, Bilbo and his burglary, Gollum and his riddles, the Lakemen, the Wood-elves, goblins, Beorn, Eagles, Smaug, and of course, our first major introduction to Gandalf the Grey.

There’s still stuff to visit from The Hobbit (like the "Three Monstrous Trolls" and lots more Dwarven stuff), but we’re now at a point where there’s more NON-Hobbit stuff than Hobbit stuff. Why? Because we’re about to get into more ancient times in Middle-Earth, from back in the Second Age.

The reason I called the set Lasting Alliances is that it focuses on bringing cultures together. It encourages unusual rainbow fellowships (like Dwarven/Gandalf, Shire/Dwarven, and Green/Elven) that you wouldn’t normally think of trying, using cards that tie cultures together in new ways. But the actual NAME of the set comes from the main focus of the Gondor and Elven cultures: the Last Alliance of Elves and Men.

So, instead of focusing on Gondor favorites like Aragorn, Faramir, and rangers, Gondor in THIS set has lots of knights and hard-hitting companions that center around heroes like Elendil, Isildur, and Anárion. It centers around the battles of the Last Alliance, but also has many cards that deal with the next major Gondorian battle, the tragedy at the Disaster of the Gladden Fields.

There’s also a small portion of Gondor that centers around one other major event in the history of Middle-Earth: the Oath of Cirion and Eorl. (Obviously, this is where the set’s small Rohan culture will come in, too.)

But we’ll get to that later. For now, it’s time to look at Gondor at its peak: at the end of the Second Age, when the Last Alliance was driving down Sauron’s throat.

To start things off, let’s go with Gondor’s main man in the set. Enjoy!

0Isildur, Mighty Son and Heir Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 7
Vitality: 3
Ringed Resistance: 6
Ring-bearer. Ring-bound.
Each time Isildur is assigned to a skirmish, add 2 burdens or wound 2 unbound companions.
Maneuver: Exert Isildur and add a threat to take a Gondor event into hand from your draw deck or discard pile (limit once per phase).
“‘I cannot use it. I dread the pain of touching it. And I have not yet found the strength to bend it to my will. It needs one greater than I now know myself to be. My pride has fallen.’”

Lasting Alliances gives you a choice between three Ring-bearers. Two of them are Hobbits, and then there’s this guy. His drawback is a little easier to swallow than Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms, but I figured that was okay since he can ONLY be a Ring-bearer, unlike Bearer of Heirlooms, and is actually the set’s other "major" Ring-bearer besides Bilbo. (The third, Déagol, is an optional Ring-bearer, and is arguably better when he’s NOT bearing the Ring.) Plus, this version of Isildur is one of the set’s main starters.

Maybe he’s too good compared to Bearer of Heirlooms. I dunno. That’s what you guys are here to tell me. Smile

3Isildur, Son of Elendil Gondor
Companion • Man
Signet: Elrond
Knight. Hunter 1.
Maneuver: Add a threat to take a Gondor or Elven weapon in your discard pile into hand.
Assignment: If Isildur is not assigned to a skirmish, exert him to assign him to a minion another character has been assigned to.
“‘It was at this moment, when all hope was lost, that Isildur, son of the king, took up his father’s sword....’”

Not much to say here. His abilities are directly inspired by...well, his lore. Mr. Green It just so happens that taking it pretty literally resulted in, IMO, a pretty neat companion. What do YOU think?
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:32 am; edited 17 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:35 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Ring-bearer. Ring-bound.
Each time a Shadow player assigns Isildur to a skirmish, add two burdens or wound an unbound companion.
Maneuver: Exert Isildur and add a threat to take a Gondor event into hand from your draw deck or discard pile.
“‘I cannot use it. I dread the pain of touching it. And I have not yet found the strength to bend it to my will. It needs one greater than I now know myself to be. My pride has fallen.’”

Cool! You might want to change "two" to "2". Smile

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Knight. Hunter 1.
Maneuver: Add a threat to take a Gondor or Elven weapon in your discard pile into hand.
Assignment: Exert Isildur to assign him to a minion another character has been assigned to.
“‘It was at this moment, when all hope was lost, that Isildur, son of the king, took up his father’s sword....’”

Awesome! GP The Elrond signet is also very cool. Thumbs Up
I had to put something here.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:52 am
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Ring-bearer. Ring-bound.
Each time a Shadow player assigns Isildur to a skirmish, add two burdens or wound an unbound companion.
Maneuver: Exert Isildur and add a threat to take a Gondor event into hand from your draw deck or discard pile.

Cool! You might want to change "two" to "2". Smile

Heh. Yeah, I tend to use written-out numbers much more than Decipher does. :p

Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Knight. Hunter 1.
Assignment: Exert Isildur to assign him to a minion another character has been assigned to.

Awesome! GP The Elrond signet is also very cool. Thumbs Up

Yeah, I figured that an Aragorn signet didn’t quite make sense, and my sets DO have this new Elrond signet, so a few Gondor Men get it. Once we get to the Elven culture, you’ll see how useful it can be, too. Very Happy

Thanks for the review! New thread + your first review = GP!
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:26 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Ring-bearer. Ring-bound.
Each time a Shadow player assigns Isildur to a skirmish, add 2 burdens or wound an unbound companion.

I’m a bit confused. When does the Shadow player assign Isildur? The Freeps player seems to be the one doing the assigning. Anyways, that drawback is just tiny compared to other RBs, and his maneuver ability is crazily powerful. He seems like needs a bit of an overhaul to bring him down from being so strong.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Knight. Hunter 1.

Pretty cool. His assignment ability doesn’t look like it’ll be used much, but since he has a powerful maneuver ability it’s okay. The only thing I don’t like is that if you retrieve Narsil you’ll have to wait till next turn to play it, which doesn’t really fit into the story, but maybe your version of Narsil can be played in the skirmish phase or somethin’.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:40 am
AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Ring-bearer. Ring-bound.
Each time a Shadow player assigns Isildur to a skirmish, add 2 burdens or wound an unbound companion.

I’m a bit confused. When does the Shadow player assign Isildur? The Freeps player seems to be the one doing the assigning. Anyways, that drawback is just tiny compared to other RBs, and his maneuver ability is crazily powerful. He seems like needs a bit of an overhaul to bring him down from being so strong.

Made some changes. How’s he look now?

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Knight. Hunter 1.

Pretty cool. His assignment ability doesn’t look like it’ll be used much, but since he has a powerful maneuver ability it’s okay. The only thing I don’t like is that if you retrieve Narsil you’ll have to wait till next turn to play it, which doesn’t really fit into the story, but maybe your version of Narsil can be played in the skirmish phase or somethin’.

You’re assuming I’m going to have Narsil.

Nah, just kidding. Of COURSE I will. Razz And yes, there’s something special about it (and a couple other cards in the set) that works well with this particular maneuver ability.

Thanks for the review! GP

AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:04 am
Much better, but I would still change his maneuver ability to either a ’start of maneuver’ action, or only allow it to take the event from your draw deck (or only from your discard pile; either version would be fine).
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:08 am
Fixed. I just tacked on a "limit once per phase". Good now? Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:16 pm
Well I wouldn’t mind another review or two for Isildur, but the show must go on!

Dáin’s DC Duos #126

So now we’ve had Isildur, but as legendary as he is, at the time of the Last Alliance he was just one of many powerful, noble men of Gondor. His brother was also a mighty warrior, and his father was one of the most influencial Men in the history of Middle-Earth. So needless to say, they get a spot in the set too. Smile Enjoy!

5Elendil, The Faithful Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 8
Vitality: 5
Knight. To play, exert 2 Gondor Men, spot 2 Gondor knights, or spot a Gondor knight and an Elf.
Each time Elendil wins a skirmish, you may heal a Gondor or Elven companion (or 2 Gondor or Elven companions with resistance 7 or more).
Each time Elendil takes a wound, each Gondor Man is strength +1 until the regroup phase.
“The host of Gil-galad and Elendil had the victory....”

I tried to live up to the powerful versions already out there (Elendil, The Tall and Elendil, High-king of Gondor), while still being unique enough to stand out on his own. The Tall works with artifacts, High-king of Gondor works with resistance, so I opted to go for the jugular and make this version a skirmish-booster and healer. But not only for Gondor...he heals Elves pretty well, too.

3Anárion, Mighty Lord of Ships Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 6
Resistance: 6
Knight. Hunter 1.
Anárion is strength +1 for each Gondor Man you can spot who bears an artifact (limit +3).
Skirmish: Play a Gondor skirmish event to make a minion skirmishing Anárion strength -1.
“But Isildur and Anárion sailed on southwards, and...established a realm where are now the countries of Rohan and Gondor.”

There’s only one other version to refer to in this case (Anarion, Lord of Anorien), but it’s a good one. Lord of Anórien’s skirmish ability is almost legendary; I’ve seen whole decks built around it on this very site. So how do you make another version of such a powerful companion, and have any confidence that it will actually be used? You take a little of the old one and mix it with something new. Very Happy

The first advantage this version has is pretty obvious: he has two keywords that the other doesn’t. Next you see that his strength (without ever factoring that hunter 1 in) can get pretty big, pretty fast. AND he has a new twist on his old ability, one which will likely be a little weaker but, with a little effort, can be huge.

My only worry is that he’s TOO good. I contemplated dropping his strength down as low as 5, but I wasn’t too sure. What do you think about him?
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:14 am; edited 3 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

NBarden
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:40 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Well I wouldn’t mind another review or two for Isildur, but the show must go on!

Dáin’s DC Duos #126

So now we’ve had Isildur, but as legendary as he is, at the time of the Last Alliance he was just one of many powerful, noble men of Gondor. His brother was also a mighty warrior, and his father was one of the most influencial Men in the history of Middle-Earth. So needless to say, they get a spot in the set too. Smile Enjoy!

5Elendil, The Faithful Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 8
Vitality: 5
Knight. To play, spot 2 Gondor Men (or a Gondor knight and an Elf).
Each time Elendil wins a skirmish, you may heal each Gondor or Elven companion that has resistance 7 or more.
Each time Elendil takes a wound, each Gondor Man at this site is strength +1 until the regroup phase.
“The host of Gil-galad and Elendil had the victory....”

Shocked WAY OVERPOWERED! Tone it down, man. Sheesh. Perpetual healing/strength pumping machine. Make him like kill two companions each time the fellowship moves to balance it. Shocked

I tried to live up to the powerful versions already out there (Elendil, The Tall and Elendil, High-king of Gondor), while still being unique enough to stand out on his own. The Tall works with artifacts, High-king of Gondor works with resistance, so I opted to go for the jugular and make this version a skirmish-booster and healer. But not only for Gondor...he heals Elves pretty well, too.

3Anárion, Mighty Lord of Ships Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 6
Resistance: 6
Knight. Hunter 1.
Anárion is strength +1 for each Gondor Man you can spot who bears an artifact (limit +3).
Skirmish: Play a Gondor skirmish event to make a minion skirmishing Anárion strength -1.
“But Isildur and Anárion sailed on southwards, and...established a realm where are now the countries of Rohan and Gondor.”

Nice. Anduril, Narsil, Ring of Barahir, that would be a grand total of three bearable artifacts in the Gondor culture. Maybe make a King of the Dead artifact, he’s old enough....Wink

There’s only one other version to refer to in this case (Anarion, Lord of Anorien), but it’s a good one. Lord of Anórien’s skirmish ability is almost legendary; I’ve seen whole decks built around it on this very site. So how do you make another version of such a powerful companion, and have any confidence that it will actually be used? You take a little of the old one and mix it with something new. Very Happy

The first advantage this version has is pretty obvious: he has two keywords that the other doesn’t. Next you see that his strength (without ever factoring that hunter 1 in) can get pretty big, pretty fast. AND he has a new twist on his old ability, one which will likely be a little weaker but, with a little effort, can be huge.

My only worry is that he’s TOO good. I contemplated dropping his strength down as low as 5, but I wasn’t too sure. What do you think about him?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:49 pm
Hrm. I’m reluctant to make wholesale changes without at least one more review. Anyone up for it? Very Happy

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards