LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Open
Anautikus
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:18 pm
Remember back when The Two Towers block came out and Gimli and his Elven buddies were cool? I remember the old Towers deck i had like that, but it wasnt all too great. With the release of new cards from sets 11-17, i decided to recreate the Alliance of Elves and Gimli.

The deck revolves around elves and Gimli of course, with Legolas being the main focus of the elves.

The Deck
The Companions
RB Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom (starter)
The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles
x1 Legolas, Of the Grey Company (starter)
x1 Gimli, Skilled Defender (starter)
x1 Elrond, Venerable Lord
x2 Lorien Swordsmen

The Possessions and Conditions
x4 Elven Bow
x3 Sword of the Fallen
x2 Elven Sword
x1 Gimli’s Battle Axe
x1 Hand Axe
x1 Ring of Fury
x1 Dwarven Bracers
x1 Shoulder to Shoulder

The Events
x4 Quick As May Be
x2 Baruk Kazad
x4 Double Shot
x3 Nocked
x3 Many Miles
x2 Mighty Shot
(total 37)

The Strategy
The main focus of this deck is, as one can plainly see, wounding. With all the events in this deck focusing on wounding minions, they will probably not survive the archery phase. The great combo in this deck is the Lorien Swordsman/Sword of the Fallen Combo, which reduces the strength of any minion by 3 for each wound! But, hypothetically, if someone were to use, say...swarms? That’s where Mighty Shot is most effective, because it raises the archery total for each minion with cost 2 or less. Pretty sweet. If the minions do survive, they will have some wounds, and the companions can handle losing one or two skirmishes. Then there’s Gimli to kill off any exhausted guys. Luck can also be a crucial factor, for if there’s an Elven card on the top of your deck, one can wound a minion with Legolas, or later heal an elf with Elrond.

Another strategy of this deck is to ditch Gimli, Skilled Defender, and use Gimli, Bearer of Grudges, rumil, silvan elf, and orophin, silvan elf, for a decklist as such:

The Companions
RB Gimli, Bearer of Grudges
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings
x1 Rumil, Silvan Elf (starting)
x1 Orophin, Silvan Elf (starting)
x1 Legolas, Of the Grey Company or Legolas, Of the woodland realm (depends on your meta)
x1 Elrond, Witness to History
x2 Elven Guardian

The Possessions and Conditions
x4 Elven Bow
x4 Sword of the Fallen
x1 Gimli’s Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon
x1 Hand Axe
x1 Ring of Fury
x1 Dwarven Bracers
x1 Shoulder to Shoulder
x1 Proud and Able
x1 Into the West

The Events
x4 Quick As May Be
x2 Baruk Khazad
x4 Double Shot
x3 Nocked
x3 Many Miles
x1 Mighty Shot
(total 38 )

The Strategy
With cards like double shot being rare and tough to attain, they can be subbed with lesser rares such as Break the Charge or more Baruk Khazads. The deck isn’t too hard to make as most of the cards are commons and uncommons. Many improvisations rare cards can be made as well. The main focus is to wound insanely in the maneuver and archery phases so that no minions survive. And if a big minion persists, concentrate all the archery on it, and take out the little guys in the skirmishes! Fun fun fun.

*Thanks for the advice NBarden! Cool

Hope you guys enjoy this deck Very Happy Please review. Thx! Dancing
Last edited by Anautikus on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:54 am; edited 7 times in total
NBarden
Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:47 pm
Nice deck. My brother ran one a lot like this for quite some time.

The Gimli RB deck is the best. Sweet!

I would consider running Orophin, Silvan Elf and Rumil, Silvan Elf instead of your Lorien Swordsman. They’re better. And Elven Guardian would be cool too.

Where’s Legolas, of the Woodland Realm? He’s a must have for archery nowadays, and packs a punch vs hunter decks. Hunter 1 is nothing to sneeze at as well. But if you fell like you need a more reliable Legolas, Legolas, Greenleaf of Legolas, Son of Thranduil would be nice. Legolas, Woodland Emissary with Legolas’ Bow might be a nice addition as well.

One thing I noticed is that you seem to use somewhat of a telepathy theme without developing it. (Legolas, of the Grey Company, Elrond, Venerable Lord). Using Legolas, of the Woodland Realm or one of the other copies of Legolas, this problem would be solved. Elrond, Witness to History would be a good alternative to Elrond, Venerable Lord, because it gives you some much needed event recursion, and can even bring back some Elven Bows that get discarded.

All in all, good deck, but you need some way to bring those events back. Because once they’re gone with that deck, they’re gone. And that means that the end game falls apart. Elrond, Witness to History would solve this problem.

A lot of changes to the deck also depends on the shadow side. What shadow do you pair it with?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Anautikus
Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:41 pm
hmm interesting...
honestly, for legolas, i got tired of the ones everyone used (set 1 and set 3) and woodland emmisary wasn’t working, so i wanted to put a new spin on things. And after i ran my deck against my friends, i thought elrond, witness to history just might be better, but i couldnt think of a card to get an elven event on top of my deck in the archery phase Confused so i stuck with venerable lord. the rumil/orophin combo is nice, too

My shadow for this deck is classic Nazi corruption using the twilight nazis with a splash of a couple of shadows block cards.
NBarden
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:28 am
Hm...well...if you could do that it would make an infinite archery loop which would be pretty broken.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Anautikus
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:20 am
yea hahah
it wuld be pretty awesome though
its my dream card hah
legoles3333
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:02 am
Joined: 28 Nov 2006 Posts: 861 Location: In a place that is beyond your imagination
hmm well back in the tower block days, i ran a deck like this i think it was like this

Frodo, Tired traveller
the one ring, Answer to all the riddles
Legolas, Elven comrade
Gimli, Unbidden guest

companions
lorien swordsman x4

possessions
hand axe x4
elven bow x4

events
Burhak Khazad x4
break the charge x4
Quick as may be x4

conditions
Splendor of their banners x4
Here's My Trade List
I have taken an oath of poverty, to annoy me, send money
I am a trained assassin catcher
Anautikus
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:52 pm
yea i had one liek that too
but with release of the new cards, it was fun to remake it and make it and add all the new wouding cards.
Plus i edited the Gimli RB deck. check it out!
Captain of Men
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:09 pm
instead of lorien swordsmen, elven guardian. that way, u can use rumil and orophins ability more easily Very Happy
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:16 pm
NBarden wrote:
Hm...well...if you could do that it would make an infinite archery loop which would be pretty broken.

How so?
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Anautikus
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:16 pm
lego ability sure to work
elrond, venerable lords ability sure to work
into the west sure to work

not infinitly broken, but nice
My Haves/Wants
Let's Trade! Cool

"Don't waste your time, or time will waste you..."

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Open