LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
NBarden
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:34 pm
Minions are ALWAYS discarded. (except for stacking, etc.). How they are discarded varies. They may be killed, which forces a discard, and in that case, Response- Killed cards kick in. If they are discarded, I.E. Ithilien Blade, reconciling, only discarded cards execute. However, the discard can be used for both killed.

In other words,

If a minion is killed, it is discarded.
If a minion is discarded, it is not necessarily killed.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
alehaak
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:53 pm
exactly what i said! Very Happy
NBarden
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:48 pm
Well...not EXACTLY.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Celebrimbor
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:17 pm
I’d have to agree with Bib...

Although a killed minion is not "discarded" by an action, but it goes to the discard pile, therefore, being "discarded".

The Q is, is this something you can respond to?
My Trading List
Popcorn is not gooey like fat, and also not crunchy like potato chips, but crispy like lettuce which makes it a healthy snack. Popcorn
NBarden
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:52 pm
If a minion is discarded...yes. No matter when it is discarded, it is still discarded.
Celebrimbor
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:18 pm
Thanks for the help, guys! Those rules that aren’t as clear can be a pain.
My Trading List
Popcorn is not gooey like fat, and also not crunchy like potato chips, but crispy like lettuce which makes it a healthy snack. Popcorn
sperzdechly
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:51 pm
When a card is discarded it is placed in discard pile, when a minion is killed it is placed in discard pile as well - no doubt. Effect is the same, but triggering event is different. Like exert and wound, both effect in placing a wound token, but they’re different.

When Guard is killed it is placed in a discard pile, but it not trigger "discarding" effects, thus it cannot be stack on support area possesion.

Another example:
7C287 Mordor Guard

If what you say true, when we kill him in skirmish he would be discarded and threaths would be removed.

If what I say is true, when we kill him in skirmish he is placed in a discard pile (but not "discarded") and threats won’t be removed.

!!! Check it at LOTRO !!!

Quote:
If a card is placed in the discard pile, it is discarded.
If X = 4 and Y = 4, then X = Y.

It is not the case. Look at wound and exert:
wound character = place a wound token on it
exert character = place a wound token on it
But wound and exert are not the same! There is slight difference (you cannot exert exhausted character) as with discarded and killed (killed minion do not trigger "discarded" effects).
TheJord
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:30 pm
In the same vein as your wound tokens being placed by either wound or exert actions, think of it this way

Minion vitality being reduced to zero :- Discard pile
Minion discarded by IB :- Discard pile
Minion overwhelmed :- Discard pile
Minion out when fellowship decides not to move :- Discard pile

No matter the cause they end up in the discard pile. Which I would call, discarded.
sperzdechly
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:53 pm
You didn’t understand me at all.
Effect is the same, but triggering events are different.

Effect of wound and exert is the same (placing a wound token), but triggering events are different. Example: You cannot use Unheeded as a response to No Travellers in This Land, because exert and wound are different, although they have the same effect.

Effect of dircarded and killed is the same (placing in discard card), but triggering events are different. Example: You cannot stack a minion (let’s say Sunland Guard) on support possesion, when it will be killed, because discarded and killed are different, although they have the same effect.

Is it clear now?

Or in other words -> the same effect of an action doesn’t mean, that those actions are the same. Difference between killed and discarded is clear when you check caefully cards like Freca and Mordor Guard (my advise is LOTRO -> try to discard both of them using IB and remember the effects and then try to kill both of them in a skirmish and compare effects with previous ones).
bibfortuna25
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:38 pm
All killed minions are discarded.
Not all discarded minions are killed.

If a card goes to the discard pile, it is discarded, period.
All cards do what they say.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions