LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard
Aragorn, King in Exile
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:00 am
Hello all,

After I recently read the brilliant article called "Fighting Frodo in a Roundabout Way" by Dain_Ironfoot, I was encouraged to take a closer look at one of the most important cards Dain used: Where Now the Horse? Now, Dain used this card as a way to help Frodo survive after relieveing Sam, Bearer of Great Need from his Skirmish; but as I looked at the card, I was more drawn to that last part of the text, which goes something along the lines of: If Frodo loses the skirmish he is in, discard the [Rohan]Man you spotted to play the event. This text appealed to me because the idea it gave me: Play a Rohan companion that does something, (example: Rohirrim Army) then discard him from play with this event and play him again later. Now, this idea was pretty cool, but it was it wasn’t that effective to play Rohirrim army in the regroup phase and then discard him next turn. I was slightly stumped, but then I remembered as decklist I had read a while back by Avar, using The Red Arrow to play these Rohan companions in the assignment phase instead of other phases to make their text more effective. With that idea in mind, I quickly came up with this deck:

Ring Bearer and One Ring:
Frodo, Weary from the Journey
The One Ring, Ring of Doom

Starting Fellowship:
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien
Eomer, Horsemaster

(35) Free peoples cards:
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien
Gandalf, Leader of the Company x4
Theoden,The Renowned
Theodred, Second Marshal of the Mark
Eomer, Horsemaster
Rohirrim Army x4
Riders of the Mark x2
Aragorn, Thorongil
The Red Arrow x4
Where Now the Horse x4
On Your Doorstep x3
Rider’s Bow x4
Gandalf’s Hat x2
Horse of Great Stature x3

Now, it is ideally a good idea to go first with this deck and play the prancing pony to get Aragorn out earily. Please, lmk what you guys think of this strat. Enjoy!

- Aragorn, King in Exile
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:18 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
what about rohirrim soldier? or whatever the guy who says when you play him make each rohan companion strength + 2 until the regroup phase.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Aragorn, King in Exile
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:57 pm
You mean Riddermark Soldier? Yeah, he was another character I was thinking about putting in here, but atm I don’t know if I have any room for him? Any suggestions?
AgentDrake
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:00 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
You have room for two or three if you have a decently cycling Shadow.

Also, if you intentionally lose the skirmish, you can discard companions assigned to big minions like Sauron.
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
Aragorn, King in Exile
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:44 pm
Smart idea there, Drake. Have a GP!
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:25 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Why use Lady of Ithilien? She’s not really the most useful in this deck, because it’s not a wounding deck. How about Eowyn, Willing Fighter, or a similar companion? Like Gamling.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Aragorn, King in Exile
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:24 pm
Thanks for the tips, CG, but LoI is in there to combo with Riders of the Mark. Exhuast a minion with Riders, finish with Eowyn, wound with rider’s bow. That’s my idea at least. You could certainly do well with another Eowyn, this one was just the one that came to mind when I built this deck.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard