LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

37%
  [ 3 ]  37%

37%
  [ 3 ]  37%

25%
  [ 2 ]  25%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 8
aussie_cossie
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:39 am
--- description ---
Reflections was a good set for LOTR:TCG, but Reflections could aguably have been the downfall of another Decipher game if company politics hadn’t destroyed it first...
--- end description ---

I’m not entirely sure about overseas, but certainly in the Australian LOTR:TCG community there was a little bit of concern about whether the set of Reflections would spoil the Lord of the Rings: Trading Card Game or not. Most of these fears were based on what decipher did to their legendary Star Wars CCG game. It was believe by most in the Australian card playing community that with the introduction of permanent weapon characters and maintainance charaters in the star wars reflections sets, the players with the money and rescources had a significant advantage over those poor souls who didn’t. I am one of those people.

The question, however, of whether the same thing would happen to LOTR was still under debate right up until its release. The difference between star wars CCG and LOTR:TCG is that there is a far greater degree of luck involved in LOTR than there is in SW. I see it almost everyday in LOTR that the biggest hitting decks can be defeated by a lucky pickup from a poorly contructed deck. Now i’m not saying that skill has nothing to do with it, far from it, its the skilled players that win tournaments, but there is far more room for an upset in LOR than there is in SW mainly due to the different mechanics of each game.

So enough about star wars, what about the reflections set of LOTR? Personally, i believe that although the new characters and cards are quite powerful they havn’t spoiled the game. They have certainly upped the ante a little but thats about it. I’m more or less going to be worried about reflections 2 or 3 should they ever be released, because it was the second and third reflections set in SWCCG that ruined that game. I feel each new set raises that game’s ante just a little, but reflections just seems to be an all-in raise (to keep with the analogy). Decipher relaeses a whole bunch or uber-powerful cards that everyone wants (but not everyone can get) that throws the balance of the game off.

Can you imagine if we had permanent weapon charaters in this game like Gimli with Battle axe whith game text like (reveal the top card of you draw deck, you may dicard a minion of the same twilight cost as that card) or legolas with bow (exert legolas to exhaust a minion). Or even worse, can you imagine maintainance cards like a strength 16 aragorn (each time the fellowship moves add (4). Defender +1 ) It would mean that super minions would have to be made to counter them and in doing so, anyone left behind (either for financial reasons or otherwise) or anyone beginning the game wouldn’t know what hit them.

Let’s hope that Decipher maintains the delacate balance of this game while keeping it interesting,

In the meantime everyone, stay gold

-Cossie-

Good luck, and have fun!
The First
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:33 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
I don’t think that "D" will ever create characters with build-in weapons or possessions. They would have to change their rules for that and make things horribly complicated for some players (remember that the SW rule book and errata were both very large in the end). I think that "D" learned at least from that mistake.

They now try to keep things nice and simple. Except for cards like A Shadow Rises, all cards were very understandable and the rules, although sometimes incomplete, were simple.

Reflections wasn’t such a good thing for the SW:CCG but they were more or less in line with the ever raising stats of the game. While reflections for LotR wasn’t. Gil-Galad; Elendil and DurinIII had way to high stats for the game at that moment. The fact that you needed lots of $$$ to get those important cards was less present with Sw than with lotr. Sure the foil Lord Vader was very sought after, as well as the foil mara jade but the reflections cards themselves were not THAT hard to get. While Durin and co are hard to get (even R+ in general). The enhanced boxes are more fair imo. They aren’t much more expensive than just buying three boosters and you know which cards you would get extra.

The enhanced characters do seem balanced. They aren’t lukes with sticks or mara jades.
Beyo
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:45 pm
I agreed with these what you’re writing here but its true that D incorporates still new rules to LOTR even from previous games like Star Trek when some cards was put "out-of play" after use..the same in LOTR.

Playing some cards for free.....the same in LOTR (One notable example is 1st Galadriel..unforutnately in XList now).

SWCCG had superb game mechanic and thing what almost killed the game was "New episodes" Expantions like Coruscant and Theed Palace..thats why Decipher announced new Classic Format.

I think it will be very funny to see in LOTR cards like Legolas with Sword , the point is it cannot be overpacked.
Why Decipher didnt introduced dual-afiliation card like in Star Trek?
Or minions with varied strength like in Magic The Gathering?
Or maybe some new mega format when you have to go trought 27 sites to win (9 for each block)?
Or sanctioned teamplay format?

Does it mean that D learned something? I dont think so..for me whole Hunter mechanic is mistake.When any player decide to use minion with "hunter" keyword all previous companion cards will be obsolete..it is not fair IMHO.

For now i stiil wait for moment when D buy licence for Stargate SG1
Time in the universe may be eternal..our patience is not

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest