LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
Queleri
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:00 pm
There had been some discussion of establishing a players council to keep LotR TCG going on the Decipher webpage. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to get the forums to load all day.

With the end of the game now announced and quickly approching, has this received any real discussion? If not there is it something we should consider here?

I’ve heard that such a council was established for SW TCG but am unfamiliar with what it has done. With a good community base here and the forums here provided by Cobra I thought it would be good to discuss this here, and maybe see what if anything can be done, and what resources are necessary to do something like this.

Anyway the floors open...
Have/Wants
NBarden
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:14 pm
There is a problem with Players Council, namely, a few people don’t like a card and ban it. That shouldn’t happen. So a Players’ Council would be good, but it shouldn’t be almighty.

I think that we should just have a CobraCards format in which CC members develop a CRD, X-list, and R-list. Problem solved.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
hawkeyespf
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:10 pm
NBarden wrote:
There is a problem with Players Council, namely, a few people don’t like a card and ban it. That shouldn’t happen. So a Players’ Council would be good, but it shouldn’t be almighty.

I think that we should just have a CobraCards format in which CC members develop a CRD, X-list, and R-list. Problem solved.

Umm...problem NOT SOLVED!

One of the biggest reasons why the SWCCGPC has been successful in keeping that game alive is that they are the absolute authority on that game’s tournament formats. If SW were as active on CC as LotR and CC’s SW members weren’t happy with what the PC had done and wanted to create their own "CC SW Tourney Format", it would only serve to divide and alienate the player base as a whole.

In order for the LotR PC to be successful, it must follow where the SWCCGPC has led and be the only true authority for that game. If players don’t like the direction the PC takes the game, they have two choices: join the PC and fight for change in the correct forums (rather than simply complaining on every available bulletin board), or quit the game altogether.

Those who would create the LotR PC are quite experienced, trust me. They know the subtleties of game design and how meta’s work and will be able to bring LotR back on track headed in the right direction. They are as unhappy with everything that has happened in the last 2 years as anyone else and can be trusted to do the right thing for the community as a whole. Put your trust in them before you automatically advocate creating a seperate tournament format.
NBarden
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:43 pm
I hear you, but the problem with Player Councils is that they are all-powerful and don’t listen to the players.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:43 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
I also strongly disagree with NB..CC format would NOT be a good substitute for a PC made up of very experience players and former play testers.

I don’t think that CC members should become the de facto deciders of LOTR TCG rules and X-lists.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
NBarden
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:46 pm
Yeah, I don’t think CC would be the official format, but I think that since LotR is moving to casual play, CC would be a casual play format.

If you’re talking tournaments, go ahead, I don’t do tournaments anyway (mostly because there aren’t any nearby).
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:12 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
the thing is, how would you figure out who was in it, how would you make tournament directors follow it, and how would you get people to hear about it? since you said this happened with SW CCG, I assume thye answered these problems and would like to hear how.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
LeoKula
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:35 pm
I think that, for some reason, most players are not satisfied in just playing...

I mean, why there should be ONE council, or someone to take decisions and ban cards? We have the game and we have the rules, it’s enough for each community to build it’s own tournament format or whatever you want to call it.
Treebeard13
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:50 pm
I think that a single Players Council could be a good thing. If every group has their own ’house’ rules then it would be harder to get players together at conventions or for players visiting your area to play. Although I concede at this point that neither event is likely. I do agree that the Players Council should be composed of a significant number of players rather than just a few and in fact why not put proposed changes up for votes - might not work but it’s worth consideration.

My belief is that a Players Council would have to first make some fairly global decisions before making any changes - since these could effect choices early on. Such as rotation. If they decided not to have rotation then cards that were in the early blocks that were OK but then became a problem when later sets came out would have to be addressed early on. Do they ban cards or errata.

But this council would have a harder time to keep the game going than the Star Wars group did. My understanding was that the Star Wars group received quite a bit of product from Decipher to give out as prizes to players. I don’t think this exists for LOTR - the cupboard is pretty bare. So the other item to address is how to keep the current players. I think some rule changes or fixed cards would help but it won’t be enough. They would have their work cut out for them and I think it would be a big mistake to limit the group to a few.

Chuck Ward
Treebeard13@Charter.Net
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:27 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
A Player’s Council is absolutely needed! Democracy, in a word, sucks. It’s nothing better than anarchy, in a nutshell. It’s just organized. An organized council of players and designers is exactly what we need to keep this great game going!

Don’t gripe that they might make a decision that you dislike. Look at it this way: you can’t get any worse than D is right now, and a Player’s Council is the best idea right now.

Quote:
I mean, why there should be ONE council, or someone to take decisions and ban cards? We have the game and we have the rules, it’s enough for each community to build it’s own tournament format or whatever you want to call it.

You’re really asking for it now. Essentially, this is anarchy at its best. "Hey, you playing format CC12b, Version a?" Yeah. I mean, all you have to do to see a result of similar thinking is to see the amount of Evangelical denominations in existence. Not to pick on you guys, but there sure are a lot of you. Do you want 99 billion different LOTR formats?

Dude, authority is what you need. Be willing to sacrifice some of your authority to a higher power, and you get one streamlined format to play LOTR in. Two thumbs up to a Player’s Council.

Anyway, I’d vote for a very hefty selection process to put together a seven-member Council, then rotate it every so often. We’d have to institute checks and balances so that a player with a personal vendetta against a culture *cough*Orc-banners*cough* doesn’t jeopardize a great game for their own personal gratification.

~CG
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion