LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
BattleWarg
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:52 am
Okay, I feel like I remember that you can’t, but I thought I’d make sure.

Is it possible to prevent something when it is the cost for another action?

As an example: Faramir, Bearer of Quality as the Ring-bearer with Narsil, Blade of the Faithful. Would he be able to effectively have the ability "Exert 2 Gondor Men to make a minion skirmishing a Gondor Man roaming until the end of the turn."?
Our time here is ending...

What did you want to see before the end?
It will be made in the Request-a-card Set #1 (name ideas also welcome Smile).
Hedgehog81
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:17 am
Shame on you

I think u could not do that.

If the wound is not placed, the cost of the action is not payed

use as reference the example of

Sapling of the white tree,alternative Gondor Ring-Bearer and Morgul Brute or Morgul Destroyer

You cannot prevent the action of the Morcs if u use the sapling to prevent the wound
"Southrons were bold men and grim, and fierce in despair..."
BattleWarg
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:45 am
That’s what I was thinking - another example would be the wording on Strength of Spirit. I just didn’t remember if it was specifically said anywhere.

It doesn’t prevent the exertion, just places no token so they still exert for all purposes, but don’t have the wound to show for it.

fishfleas
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:40 am
First of all, The Brute and Destroyers don’t fit your question, as their cost is spotting a Nazgul. How they work is you add a burden or add a threat, and then if the Free peoples wounds the ring bearer they prevent. Now if they try to prevent the wound then they are preventing the action that is preventing something else, therefore allowing the other to come back. So you can prevent the wound, but it would get you no where as you’ld still have to take the burden or threat.

Now that similar mechanic can be applied to your cost question though. If you prevent then you are preventing the results of what you preventing. The result for the Brute and destroyer is the ability to cancel the threats or burden. The result for the faramir Narsil example is making someone roaming. So yes you could prevent the wound, but it wouldn’t do you anything. Now if you wanted your fellowship to be exhausted for some reason... or wanted to kill someone off....
Hedgehog81
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:24 am
fishfleas wrote:
First of all, The Brute and Destroyers don’t fit your question, as their cost is spotting a Nazgul.

details... Mr. Green

My examples refers to the debate of morcs and sapling

about prevention,if u prevent the wound on RB u must add a burden or a treath

The same in this case as u explained

Long story short

If u don’t wound Faramir u don’t make a minion roaming
"Southrons were bold men and grim, and fierce in despair..."
Foresight
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:29 pm
2 exertions is worse than one wound, though. Don’t see why you would want to do it!
In his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men
BattleWarg
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:00 pm
Foresight wrote:
2 exertions is worse than one wound, though. Don’t see why you would want to do it!

1) Faramir’s exhausted.
2) Opponent has anti-Ring-bearer Cushion
3) You’ve got easy mass healing (Citadel to Gate, for example, or if using King block sites, the site 6 that heals each Gondor companion)

But, like I’ve said, it makes perfect sense that it’s not allowed.

Side thought... Is there a way to use this to your advantage? For example, preventing a wound/exertion cost on your opponent to prevent the effect?

Celebrimbor
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:53 pm
Yes, definitely. you can prevent your opponent from doing an action (lots of those cards out there).

But preventing the required cost for you to perform an action just. doesn’t. work.
My Trading List
Popcorn is not gooey like fat, and also not crunchy like potato chips, but crispy like lettuce which makes it a healthy snack. Popcorn
TheJord
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:59 pm
You can use Strength of Spirit to prevent paying a cost. I dont see why Narsil, Blade of the Faithful can’t do the same.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"
BattleWarg
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:15 pm
TheJord wrote:
You can use Strength of Spirit to prevent paying a cost. I dont see why Narsil, Blade of the Faithful can’t do the same.

Actually, it doesn’t prevent the exertion, so the companion still exerts, you just don’t place a wound token when they exert.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions