LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
53%
  [ 8 ]  53%

6%
  [ 1 ]  6%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 5 ]  33%

1 (Worst)  
6%
  [ 1 ]  6%

Total Votes : 15
AceKing133
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:27 am
I personally haven’t seen too many decks incorporating Guildpact with any possibility of success in standard... But I take a liking to this deck idea. The B/W guild has quite a bit of possibilities, with many different bombs and tricks. I actually really love the Ghost Council of Orzhova. If it ever hits play, its pretty difficult to deal with. Debtor’s Knell is also very explosive. With Yosei, its downright sick. I will definitely test this deck; I see quite a bit of potential.
That's Poker Baby!
bungietech
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:05 am
Aceking: true that! In fact, Debtors’ Knell is so explosive, this deck needs to up the count to three!!!!!!
Tweedledee
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:12 pm
Great Deck idea.

My suggestions for changes to the deck.
I would remove bothe the church of deals from your mana base. Replace with a miren, moaning well and another land.
I would cut the phyrexian arenas down to 3, and add another debtor’s knell main.
Another change would be to possibly add 1 Kokusho for 1 Yosie (im not totally sold on this idea).
And lastly the souls of the faultless, i believe these should be sideboard against agro decks. I think that the new meta game (especially where we play) will be geared more towards control.
A possible replacemet could be Skeletal Vampire, or the Bat (highway robber wanna-be)

Just my two-cents,

Mike
inresponse
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:52 pm
thanks guys, I appreciate the positive feedback.

strattozeppelid...

I’ve been playtesting on MWs, where most of the decks are agro zoo, so there the souls have been great. At our local shops I think that there will be a lot of r/g at first, so I want to keep the souls in there for now. Maybe I’ll take them out if the format does shift towards control, which does tend to be the case here.

I really like skeletal vampire, but not the bat, I tested him out and he just does a couple of points and has no real impact on the board other than as a chump blocker.

Debtors’ knell is really good, but if I cut an arena I have less opportunites to draw the knell in my extra cards, making it kind of an even trade. In this case I prefer the arena since it continues to draw even when I draw the knell. However, this is certainly up for debate, I do love debtor’s knell.

Yosei has just been better for me every time than kokusho, I have tested both, and against agro and control it seems stronger.

I probably should play a miren, I might just cut one orzhova. But don’t underestimate the churches, they can use up your extra mana when you run out of gas.
Les_Cocos
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:41 pm
OoO! Lets see how many good cards with no synergy we can fit into the same deck!

More creatures makes more sense with arena, as well as with knell. And you missed the best W/B card I’ve seen in a long while with blind hunter. 8 life swing even if they shock him! And he has evasion if they don’t. Comon there.

There’s actually too much removal. How many things do you think you’ll need to fetter, needle, and mortify AFTER you’ve played a board-clearing WoG. Put in some cards of your own instead.
inresponse
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:47 pm
debtor’s knell needs one target: Yosei. Besides, it can get your opponents creatures.

Because I am playing a control deck, the creatures I do play need to either win me the game or stop my opponent from winning the game. Blind hunter does a little in each direction, but can do neither well enough to warrant inclusion. Often my non Wrath creature removal isn’t even aimed at creatures. Mortify can take out opposing glares, moldervine cloaks, battle of wits, annexes, confiscates, and any number of Enduring Ideal targets. Faith’s Fetters usually gets played on a Jitte. But if I don’t draw a Wrath, I still have answers for creature threats.

why do more creatures make sense with Phyrexian Arena?
Tweedledee
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:09 pm
Just wondering if anyone giving this deck a bad review has actually tried to play this deck or play against it?
I built a version of this deck (same idea, no Souls of the Faultless or needles main. I added 3 Angel of Despair, 2 Skeletal Vampire). This deck is really strong.
You dont need more creatures with arena, it gets you the creatures you need or the removal you need to control the board until you get your creatures.
I dont think blind hunter would be a good choice for a creature in the deck. If you play your mass removal there is no creature to haunt.
I would suggest playing the deck before giving it a bad review or saying that there is not synergy between any of the cards, because if you look closely there is great interaction between most of the cards in the deck.

Mike
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:43 pm
Tweedledee wrote:
Just wondering if anyone giving this deck a bad review has actually tried to play this deck or play against it?
I built a version of this deck (same idea, no Souls of the Faultless or needles main. I added 3 Angel of Despair, 2 Skeletal Vampire). This deck is really strong.
You dont need more creatures with arena, it gets you the creatures you need or the removal you need to control the board until you get your creatures.
I dont think blind hunter would be a good choice for a creature in the deck. If you play your mass removal there is no creature to haunt.
I would suggest playing the deck before giving it a bad review or saying that there is not synergy between any of the cards, because if you look closely there is great interaction between most of the cards in the deck.

Mike

If you play mass removal, there is nothing to haunt. Thats the pulse I’ve been gathering- there’s nothing to haunt, needle, fetter, or mortify. Thats the problem I and a couple others have with it.
inresponse
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:01 pm
due to not having any cards with haunt in the deck, that’s not an issue. Also you will not draw wrath every game. And after you play wrath, I’m pretty sure your opponent is planning on playing creatures.

Also, If I didn’t have pithing needle, fetters, and mortify, how would I stop the genjus in your deck? I wouldn’t be able to wrath, so Instead I would be forced to use my other answers, which work perfectly against the genjus, as well as many other non wrathable targets.

You will almost never see a control deck with Wrath as it’s only form of removal. U/W control decks in onslaught/mirrodin standard played wrath, Akroma’s Vengeance, Wing Shards, and even March of the Machines. In the early days of magic, players ran Swords to Plowshares and Lightning Bolt alongside their Wraths. Wrath is rarely the only removal in a deck.
Cobra
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:50 pm
Congratulations to Inresponse! This article takes first place, and $25 store credit, in the February 2006 Magic: The Gathering Strategy Article Contest.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest