LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
28%
  [ 2 ]  28%

57%
  [ 4 ]  57%

14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 7
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:16 pm
--- description ---
This article takes a look at a deck that combines the power of Boromir’s Horn with the viciousness of the Uruk-hai.
--- end description ---

”’Loud and clear it sounds in the valleys of the hills,’ he said, ‘and then let all the foes of Gondor flee!’ Putting it to his lips he blew a blast, and the echoes leapt from rock to rock, and all that heard that voice in Rivendell sprang to their feet.”

Introduction
A few months ago on the Decipher boards, Brad revealed the information that a new version of the Horn of Boromir would be printed in the Treachery and Deceit set. True to his word, Mr. DeFruiter soon spoiled the much-anticipated Horn, in all of its glory.

Not only does it cost 0 but it also gives bearer a +1 resistance bonus. And the text is super: a +4 strength bonus for a companion, for the price of an exertion and discarding a follower. Plus, if the companion is Boromir, he is defender +1 and unable to be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.

When many players saw this card, their first reaction was some variation of “Good card, but not too impressive if there are no Gondor followers in the Treachery and Deceit set.” They weren’t disappointed; Decipher cranked out 3 Gondor followers in T&D, and every one of them is in this deck.

This possession is the powerful centerpiece of a deadly Free Peoples side that attacks your opponent using a variety of methods.

First, let’s take a look at the cards for this deck.

Frodo, Weary from the Journey
This Frodo is a great anti-swarm Ring-bearer; plus, he has a base resistance of 10.

The One Ring, The Ring of Doom
Not only does this Ring give Frodo a hunter 3 bonus while he is wearing it, but it also provides 2 extra vitality, which makes him a neat little pincushion for archery wounds (and threat or burden removal with Sting, Elven Long Knife and Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom).

Boromir, Proud and Noble Man
This Boromir is perfect for grabbing the Horn. You can simply use The Prancing Pony to play Boromir (since he is a ranger), and then play the Horn from your draw deck.

Aragorn, Strider
This version of Aragorn has his regular 8/4/8 stats; plus, he only costs 1, which allows you to play both him and Faramir in your starting fellowship.

Faramir, Captain of Ithilien
This Faramir costs only 2 since he is in your starting fellowship;, plus he is a 9-strength against non-hunter minions! He also has a nifty healing ability that triggers Stewards’ Legacy, which tears apart cards like Orkish Lackey, Mumak Commander, Giant Among the Swertings, Black Gate Sentry, Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One, etc.

Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith
This version of Denethor is perfect for grabbing Gondor followers from your draw deck. Plus, an 8 strength companion isn’t too shabby.

Sam, Bearer of Great Need
Yep, an ARB is in this deck. Thanks to the large number of followers in this deck, Sam is a great companion for getting rid of a minion or two in the regroup phase.

Sting, Elven Long Knife
This weapon makes removing threats simple; it also gives Frodo a strength, vitality, and a resistance bonus. What’s not to love?

Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow
Not only does this possession make Aragorn an archer, but you can also abuse the minion wounding ability. Then, you can remove the threats with Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom and Sting, Long Elven Knife. With all of your companions in play and 0 threats on the table, you can put down 7 wounds on minions, using only this bow.

Armor of the White City
This nifty possession not only makes a Gondor companion a knight but also gives him a +1 strength boost.

Gondorian Steed
This mount gives 2 bonuses: a strength boost and a resistance boost. Because bearer must be a knight, though, you’ll have to play this steed on whoever is the bearer of Armor of the White City.

Gondorian Sword
This possession keeps your hand cycling, and also makes bearer damage +1 at the same time.

Horn of Boromir, The Great Horn
This card provides a huge boost for any Gondor companion, for just an exertion and a discarded follower. Plus, there are additional benefits if that Gondor companion is Boromir. Since the text only says “follower”, and not “Free Peoples follower”, you can discard Saruman, Servant of Sauron with this possession!

Stewards’ Legacy
This card is a great combo with the new Horn; you can exert Boromir with the Horn’s text, and then exert a minion with this awesome condition. You can also use it to give Denethor muster, and it can also prevent minions from using special abilities.

Heirs of Gondor
This is a nifty condition to give strength boosts to your sword-wielding Gondorians.

Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom
Thanks to Frodo’s vitality of 6 with The One Ring, The Ring of Doom, you can use and abuse this card to the fullest. This is a cheap and quick way to remove the threats added by Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow. It can also help to counter the burdens added by the Shire followers.

Guarded City
This is a perfect event for adding tokens to Heirs of Gondor.

Daddy Twofoot, Next-door Neighbor
This guy is perfect for recycling Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom. Plus, he has a low aid cost and provides a resistance bonus.

Frodo Gamgee, Son of Samwise
This guy not only gives a vitality bonus, but also a +1 strength boost for each Ring-bound Hobbit you can spot.

Hobbiton Brewer, Maker of Fine Ales
This guy is handy for wound prevention. He also provides a nifty +2 strength bonus for his bearer.

The Gaffer, Master Gardener
This guy can heal Frodo and Sam, and he also gives his bearer a +1 strength boost.

Gwaihir, The Windlord
Thanks to a manageable aid cost (add a threat) and no drawback, Gwaihir is an ideal follower for this deck. He also gives his bearer a strength boost and a resistance boost.

Gondorian Servant, Denethor’s Handman
This guy is a nifty 0-cost follower to discard with the Horn, and can also be used to help out a companion with low resistance.

Elendil’s Army
This follower gives a +2 strength boost to a companion, at the cost of exerting a Gondor companion. This card is also an ideal way to use the minion exertion text of Stewards’ Legacy. Simply exert Boromir with this follower, which triggers Stewards’ Legacy, exerting a minion.

Faramir’s Company
This follower gives some healing to your companions, and the threats are taken care of with Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom and Sting, Elven Long Knife.

Optional
You might consider splashing Gandalf, Returned into this deck with a few copies of Citadel to Gate. This way, you could use and abuse the ability of Aragorn and his bow even more, and also provide token reinforcement for Heirs of Gondor with Gandalf’s text.

Also, if you’re willing to go the extra mile financially, you could switch Heirs of Gondor for Noble Leaders. Noble Leaders not only provides a +1 strength bonus (as does Heirs of Gondor), but also gives a damage +1 bonus. The main difference, though, lies in the cost: $11 versus 10 cents.

If wounding or exertion decks are commonplace in your meta, you might consider packing a few copies of Invigorated for some extra healing.

Now that we’ve seen the cards, let’s take a look at a deck.

Format: Standard (35 cards)

Ring-bearer and Ring
Frodo, Weary from the Journey
The One Ring, The Ring of Doom
$12.10 USD

4 Companions
1 Aragorn, Strider (starting)
1 Faramir, Captain of Ithilien (starting)
1 Boromir, Proud and Noble Man
1 Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith
1 Sam, Bearer of Great Need
$14 USD

13 Possessions
2 Horn of Boromir, The Great Horn
2 Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow
1 Armor of the White City
1 Gondorian Steed
2 Gondorian Sword
3 Kingsfoil
1 Sting, Elven Long Knife
$35.14 USD

4 Conditions
2 Stewards’ Legacy
2 Heirs of Gondor
$.70 USD

4 Events
2 Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom
2 Guarded City
$.30 USD

10 Followers
2 Daddy Twofoot, Next-door Neighbor
1 Frodo Gamgee, Son of Samwise
1 The Gaffer, Master Gardner
1 Gwaihir, The Windlord
1 Gondorian Servant, Denethor’s Handman
1 Faramir’s Company
2 Elendil’s Army
$18.60 USD

This Free Peoples side costs $82.84 USD, but it is definitely worth your money.

Strategy Overview
Use the text of Boromir, Proud and Noble Man with his new Horn to pump him to colossal strengths. You can also get rid of minions in the regroup phase with Sam, Bearer of Great Need. Aragorn is an archery beast with his bow, and you can remove the threats with Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom and Sting, Elven Long Knife.

Denethor can grab Gondor followers from your draw deck, and Stewards’ Legacy gives you a variety of game-changing text, thanks to the Boromir, Denethor, and Faramir trio. Heirs of Gondor gives your guys (except for Frodo and Sam) strength boosts, and Kingsfoil helps out in the healing realm.

You can also use Daddy Twofoot, Next-door Neighbor to recycle Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom. Your followers can also give handy bonuses to your companions.

Now, let’s take a look at some match-ups…

Corruption
Frodo is an 11 resistance with Sting, Elven Long Knife. Plus, you can remove burdens with Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom.

Archery / Wounds / Exertions
Kingsfoil takes care of wounds, and it can also discard a condition borne by Frodo. Faramir, Captain of Ithilien is a BIG help, especially since he kills two birds with one stone: a heal, an automatic exertion to a minion with Stewards’ Legacy.

Frenzy of Arrows
Sad to say, you’re going to run into this deck unless, by some miracle, it gets banned. Until then, though, a Gandalf splash with The Board Is Set puts a considerable obstacle in your opponent’s path.

Swarm / Bomb
Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow can wipe out a minion or two, and your companions can eliminate the rest in the skirmish phase.

Discard
Did your Horn get discarded? Then you’ll have to take drastic measures. Play in Open format, and use a Gandalf splash with Final Account to retrieve the Horn from your discard pile.

Tank
Boromir takes care of ‘em with his brute strength, and the rest of your companions (except for Frodo and Sam) are nice and beefy.

Next, let’s look at a Shadow side to pair this Free Peoples side with.

”Then suddenly, without warning, Uglúk sprang forwards, and with two swift strokes swept the heads off two of his opponents.”

Ugluk, Ugly Fellow
Ugluk’s exertion text tears apart non-hunters, and he is also 12 strength minion against non-hunters. To top it all off, he is fierce!

Mauhur, Relentless Hunter
With this version of Mauhur, you can pick and choose what companion to assign him to. Plus, he is also fierce and has a hunter 1 bonus.

Chasing Uruk
This guy is the link in the chain that allows you to play [url=http://www.decipher.fanhq.com/resources/cardimages/LOTR18129.jpg]White Hand Sieger
. With his text, it is easy to control a couple of sites, which enables you to play the Sieger. And once again, he is fierce and has hunter 1.

Following Uruk
This Uruk ensures that the companions who weren’t assigned to skirmishes still pay a price. And did I mention fierce and the hunter 1 bonus?

White Hand Guard
This minion’s text enables you to pump your other Uruks at the cost of exerting this guy. Plus, you can boost his vitality with Lurtz’s Bow, Black-fletch Bow and Spear of the White Hand. To top things off, this Uruk has the ubiquitous fierce and hunter 1 keywords.

Lurtz, Minion of the White Wizard
This version of Lurtz takes advantage of the wounds provided by With All Possible Speed, Following Uruk, and Ugluk, Ugly Fellow. Plus, you can put down even more wounds if you play his bow on him, allowing you to abuse companions in the skirmish phase by using Final Triumph.

Lurtz’s Bow, Black-fletch Bow
This possession is a perfect addition to this deck. Not only can you draw a card if you play it on Lurtz, but it also gives its bearer a strength and a vitality bonus. Plus, it has a companion exertion if ability if the bearer is Lurtz, and all for only 1 twilight!

Spear of the White Hand
This weapon gives its bearer a +1 strength boost, as well as a +1 vitality bonus, which makes the text of Mauhur, Relentless Hunter and White Hand Guard even more powerful. To top it all off, it plays for free!

With All Possible Speed
This condition gives a +1 strength bonus to your non-wounded hunter minions, as well as the ability to exert a companion in a pinch.

You Do Not Know Fear
This card is a beast at wiping out Free Peoples conditions. For only 2 twilight, you can discard a Free Peoples condition for each Uruk-hai minion you can spot. Wow.

Violent Hurl
This is a basic +2 strength pump for your Uruks, and it also gives a damage +1 bonus if that minion is a hunter.

Final Triumph
This card allows you to use vitality to resolve a skirmish instead of strength. With Spear of the White Hand and Lurtz’s Bow in this deck, high vitality will be easy to achieve. Plus, Ugluk, Ugly Fellow automatically exerts a non-hunter character when he is assigned to him or her, which suddenly makes Ugluk a beast that tears down companions since his vitality turns out to be the deciding factor.

Next, let’s take a look at these cards in a Shadow side…

22 Minions
4 Mauhur, Relentless Hunter
4 Chasing Uruk
3 Ugluk, Ugly Fellow
3 Following Uruk
3 White Hand Guard
3 White Hand Sieger
2 Lurtz, Minion of the White Wizard
$26.25 USD

5 Possessions
3 Lurtz’s Bow, Black-fletch Bow
2 Spear of the White Hand
$8.50 USD

4 Conditions
2 With All Possible Speed
2 You Do Not Know Fear
$12 USD

4 Events
2 Violent Hurl
2 Final Triumph
$8.75 USD

This Shadow side comes in at $55.50 USD; expensive, but it definitely gives you bang for your buck.

Strategy Overview
The strategy in this Shadow side is fairly simple. You can use Spear of the White Hand and Lurtz’s Bow, Black-fletch Bow to abuse the abilities of Mauhur and White Hand Guard.

Use the text of Chasing Uruk to take control of sites, and then you can play White Hand Sieger for 0, provided that he is not roaming and you can spot an Uruk-hai minion. Lurtz, Minion of the White Wizard can keep your hand cycling if you play his bow on him; plus, his strength skyrockets while you can spot a couple exhausted companions. Your Uruks can also gain strength bonuses from Westfold Village.

With All Possible Speed gives a +1 strength bonus to your non-wounded hunters, and you can also use it to exert a companion in a pinch. You Do Know Fear destroys Free Peoples conditions, and Violent Hurl is a nifty pump for your Uruks.

Next, let’s take a look at the match-ups for this deck…

Archery / Exertions / Wounding
You can use Spear of the White Hand and Lurtz’s Bow, Black-fletch Bow to take care of a few wounds, but a good archery or exertion Free Peoples side will be tough to deal with, especially since it makes it hard to use the text of Mauhur and White Hand Guard; Rohan Uplands can also help out by preventing archery wounds.

Tank
Mauhur’s text takes care of the big guy, leaving the rest of your Uruks to pick on the weaker companions.

Next, let’s look at the sites for this deck.

0 Breeding Pit of Isengard
0 Emyn Muil
1 City Gates
1 Rohan Uplands
2 Westfold Village
2 Window on the West
3 The Prancing Pony
3 Valley of the Silverlode
3 Mount Doom
$9.50 USD

The total for this entire deck, including the site path, comes to $147.84 USD; a price higher than most, but worth every penny.

On a Budget?
Nearly $150 is no small price for ANY person playing LOTR, let alone a person a budget. If financial troubles are preventing you from picking up the cards in this deck, then you will have to take one of three roads…

1. Drop a copy or two of the expensive cards from your deck, such as Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow. Or, you could use a different Ring instead of The One Ring, The Ring of Doom.

2. Trade for the expensive cards. Chances are, you’ve got a lot of rares that you consider to be trash, but that other players would trade VERY well for. Keep an eye on peoples’ trade lists; you may find a gold mine.

3. Sell your cards that you don’t need. I once sold Aragorn, Defender of Rohan (Masterworks FOIL) and Throne of Isengard (FOIL) for a total of $30. That cash allowed me to buy a booster box, in which I got several high-end rares that I needed for my decks.

Special Thanks
To The Chosen Ones and Felipe Musco, for reviewing this article via PM before I posted it.

Conclusion
Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your reviews and votes!

Side Note
Please give me time to edit the article according to your review before you rate it. Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous Prodigy on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:26 pm; edited 3 times in totalI had to put something here.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:47 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
with armor and the steed I think you should have 2 armor so you don’t get the steed and not it. I would think a 2:1 ratio would work OK though.

is there a way to replay your followers? aside from splashing gandi with on your doorstep or final account?

11 resistance can be overcome with a good corruption deck

and discard could have fun too since your deck should get rid of cards fast.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:52 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
with armor and the steed I think you should have 2 armor so you don’t get the steed and not it. I would think a 2:1 ratio would work OK though.

Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith can help grab Armor of the White City. Smile

sickofpalantirs wrote:
is there a way to replay your followers? aside from splashing gandi with on your doorstep or final account?

Nope.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
11 resistance can be overcome with a good corruption deck

Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom. Thumbs Up

sickofpalantirs wrote:
and discard could have fun too since your deck should get rid of cards fast.

Discard has fun with ANY deck. Razz

Thanks for the review, and don’t forget to vote! Very Happy
I had to put something here.
bunnydaman
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:49 pm
Joined: 11 Jun 2007 Posts: 338 Location: 'hillbilliesville'
I really like the strategy, but I’m no good at actual reveiws, but I really like it. The deck is definatly on the expensive side. I wouldn’t spend that much on a deck, but if I was a truly dedicated LotR player that played in tournaments and stuff, then I probably would, for that deck at least. I would tweak it some, to fit the way I play and my budget [whatever it was] , but I definatly think this is a very good deck. I vote 4. Very Happy
-"He’s like a spamming assasin." ~lem0nhead about SoP
"Yes, I'm a girl. And no, not like elf lvr."
[idea from FM]
TheHobbit13
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:55 pm
i think this article is lacking.. something vital but i cant think right now
If you like LOTR then maybe you would like redemption ccg PM me for more info
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:14 pm
bunnydaman wrote:
I really like the strategy, but I’m no good at actual reveiws, but I really like it. The deck is definatly on the expensive side. I wouldn’t spend that much on a deck, but if I was a truly dedicated LotR player that played in tournaments and stuff, then I probably would, for that deck at least. I would tweak it some, to fit the way I play and my budget [whatever it was] , but I definatly think this is a very good deck. I vote 4. Very Happy

If you gave me a 4, please let me know what I can do to change tha article to make it worthy of a 5.
I had to put something here.
elf lvr
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:44 pm
The article was very well-writen, and interesting. I liked the ideas a lot!

A bit less in the Strategy Overview than I would have liked, and the bulk of the article is in card choices and the shadow side.

However, the strategy of the deck rocks, and this is definately the way to go when using a Boromir’s Horn deck.

So, from me, a very solid 4.

Just thought I’d mention, the deck is still vulnerable to the NPE-ness of Frenzy of Arrows. Perhaps you could try and find a way to defend against that?
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Dravius
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:43 pm
While the deck seems fun to play, you did not convinced me to spend the incredible amount it would take to see how good this will fare. Maybe you should explain why I should choose this deck over and ordinary noble leaders, knights, rangers or tokens gondor. Tell us what should you strategy be, how I could play this deck to grant me as many wins as I can, and why the deck is worth its price.

Don’t get me wrong, I ejoyed reading this article, it is well written and all, but like I said, I realy doubt this deck is worth its price. You say you could be fine against an archery deck, but what if rapid reload exhaust boromir, or mumak rider discards the horn, what if he plays dark whisper after that. What if you exert boromir with his horn, and your opponent plays final triumph, killing boromir ? Is there an alternate strategy ? What about frenzy of arrows or orcs warg wounding or corsairs. Maybe I am wrong, and if it is so, I’d like you to prove me wrong, by developping a little bit more on the strategy. So far, my vote will sound more like a 3, but I’ll let you develop before I vote.

edit: your deck is over 135 dollars now, and more if you play mount doom in your sitepath... It’s a price I would pay for a tier 1 deck only.
Last edited by Dravius on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total-Darth Dravius, Dark Lord of the Sith
bunnydaman
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:32 pm
Joined: 11 Jun 2007 Posts: 338 Location: 'hillbilliesville'
Hmmmmmmm. Maybe if you substitute some really expensive cards and, like dravius said, put in more convincing words. oh yeah and oops, I already voted, I forgot to wait, sorry! Crying or Very sad
I no it wont help as much as a 5, but here is some GP . Confused
-"He’s like a spamming assasin." ~lem0nhead about SoP
"Yes, I'm a girl. And no, not like elf lvr."
[idea from FM]
lem0nhead
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:41 am
elf lvr wrote:

Just thought I’d mention, the deck is still vulnerable to the NPE-ness of Frenzy of Arrows. Perhaps you could try and find a way to defend against that?

I really cant see how he could do this EL. Only new gandalf and board is set could technically stop it, apart from killing all minions in the maneuver so he cant spot anything to play it! Its just a gross card against follower decks.

The article is absolutely fine AP, any changes ive already suggested! Ill hold on voting to see what others say and in case you make any changes.

If the horn gets discarded, you do get shafted though. Hmmm...
Last edited by lem0nhead on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:58 am; edited 2 times in totalBan shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest