LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:48 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Waitwaitwait...what is that crazy Dáin up to? The Road Ahead is a set focused on The Fellowship of the Ring, right? What the heck does Rohan have to do with that?

The answer: admittedly, not much. But the Rohirrim DO play an important role in the story...behind the scenes, at least. When Gandalf is rescued from the pinnacle of Orthanc by Gwaihir, the mighty eagle sets him down in the land of Rohan to rest and recover from his ordeal. While there, Gandalf tracks down a certain white steed and takes it from a begrudging and weakening Théoden (though his name is not actually mentioned), riding swiftly back to the Shire and back into the storyline. Without Rohan and their great horses, who knows...Gandalf may not have even shown up for the Council of Elrond!

So, much like the Rohan culture getting a small slice of Lasting Alliances, they get a little piece of this set as well. As in Lasting Alliances, since they are small, they play more of a support role than anything else...and once again, that support is mainly for their Gondor allies.

So, to kick things off, here’s an old-school Théoden. Enjoy!

2Théoden, Lord of Rohan Rohan
Companion • Man
Strength: 6
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 5
To play, spot a Rohan card.
At the start of each fellowship phase, you may exert Théoden to play a Rohan possession from your draw deck on another companion and heal that companion (twice if he or she is valiant).
Each time the fellowship moves, add a threat.
“‘In Rohan I found evil already at work: the lies of Saruman; and the king of the land would not listen to my warnings.’”

First, a note on his stats. It’s all but forgotten now, I imagine, but the first time we saw Théoden in LOTR TCG, he had a rather pitiful 6 strength and only 2 vitality. He could become quite big with his sword Herugrim and/or the Gandalf condition Hearken To Me, but his initial stats were...well, lousy. It wasn’t until the King block that he got his now-familiar 7/3 stats, and the three 6/2 versions before that have become a distant memory.

Not so in my sets, though. I remember from whence Théoden came, and I intend to go back there. Since he’s not QUITE as under Saruman’s influence by the time of Fellowship of the Ring, though, I opted to drop only his strength and keep his vitality at 3. (If you were paying REALLY close attention, you noticed that I dropped his resistance a bit too, though.) Once we get into my Two Towers set The Way Into Mordor, you’ll see his stats dip back to 6/2 for at least one version.

This version also has a serious drawback of adding threats as you travel along the sitepath. This made sense to me because it mentions in the text of Fellowship (and in the lore of this card, actually) that Théoden was already becoming leary of outsiders and the Shadow is creeping over Rohan.

Now, finally, his ability. It’s pretty darn good, if I may so myself. Good enough to balance the hefty drawback? You tell me. Very Happy

Not sure if I’ll have any other unique Rohan characters in this set, but I do have a couple non-unique ones. We’ll get to those next time. Smile
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:03 am; edited 10 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
NBarden
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:45 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1Théoden, Lord of Rohan Rohan
Companion • Man
Fellowship: Exert Théoden to play a Rohan possession from your draw deck on a companion and heal that companion (twice if he or she is valiant).
“‘In Rohan I found evil already at work: the lies of Saruman; and the king of the land would not listen to my warnings.’”

Sorry, but this card is just plain stupid. 1 is to cheap. And he creates his own infinite loop. Play a possession on him and heal him, add 1 to transfer, and suddenly Gamling, Defender of the Hornburg is left in the dust! How about nab every possession in your draw deck?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:59 pm
Yikes...good catch on the infinite loop. GP Fixed.

I disagree about 1 being too cheap, because his drawback can really hurt over time. I think it makes up for the 1 twilight you save. But we’ll see what other reviewers say....
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
NBarden
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:04 pm
I still think its to powerful for a 1 companion.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:44 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Waitwaitwait...what is that crazy Dáin up to?
that is going into funniest quotes...

Companion • Man
Fellowship: Exert Théoden to play a Rohan possession from your draw deck on another companion and heal that companion (twice if he or she is valiant).

I would make it say at the start of the fellowship phase...just to make sure no loop is possible.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:41 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Fellowship: Exert Théoden to play a Rohan possession from your draw deck on another companion and heal that companion (twice if he or she is valiant).

A built in super-simbelmeyne? A super-Gamling? A super-stables every turn? Not sure the Rohan culture actually needs this card, it just makes their fetching abilities utterly ludicrous. Nevertheless, in isolation I think he should probably still cost 2 - threats aren’t really a big deal in most situations. A harsher drawback (like burdens) would need to be on this card to make it cost 1.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:34 am
Okay, I upped his cost AND limited his ability as SoP recommended. Better now?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:52 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Théoden, Lord of Rohan Rohan
Companion • Man
At the start of each fellowship phase, you may exert Théoden to play a Rohan possession from your draw deck on another companion and heal that companion (twice if he or she is valiant).

Good. Thumbs Up
I had to put something here.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:41 am
Okay, well at least one person is happy with Théoden now, so if anyone is NOT, let me know.

Otherwise, here’s some more Rohirrim. Enjoy!

2 Riddermark Rider Rohan
Companion • Man
Resistance: 6
Valiant.
While this companion is mounted, he gains hunter 2.
Each time this companion wins a fierce skirmish, you may exert a minion skirmishing an unbound companion.
“‘...the horses of the Riddermark come from the fields of the North, far from the Shadow, and their race, as that of their masters, is descended from the free days of old.’”

2 Riddermark Warrior Rohan
Companion • Man
Valiant.
Each time this companion wins a skirmish, you may discard a possession he bears to heal a Man.
Each time this companion wins a fierce skirmish, you may exert him to remove a threat.
“‘I know the Men of Rohan; true and valiant, our allies, dwelling still in the lands that we gave them long ago.’”
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:08 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Riddermark Rider Rohan
Companion • Man
Strength: 5
Valiant.
While this companion is mounted, he gains hunter 2.
Each time this companion wins a fierce skirmish, you may exert a minion skirmishing an unbound companion.
“‘...the horses of the Riddermark come from the fields of the North, far from the Shadow, and their race, as that of their masters, is descended from the free days of old.’”

I would raise his strength to 6. Thumbs Up

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Riddermark Warrior Rohan
Companion • Man
Valiant.
Each time this companion wins a skirmish, you may discard a possession he bears to heal a Man.
Each time this companion wins a fierce skirmish, you may exert him to remove a threat.
“‘I know the Men of Rohan; true and valiant, our allies, dwelling still in the lands that we gave them long ago.’”

Good. Smile
I had to put something here.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards