LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:27 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Okay, I know all this is in the rulebook, but I’m too lazy to look it up right now. Besides, you all are the REAL experts, so why would I waste my time with the rulebook anyway? Razz

I know the basics of uniqueness. You can have multiple copies of a unique companion or ally in your deck, but can have only one in play at a time. If they’re placed in the dead or discard pile, they’re still in play, and thus, you can’t play another unless you remove the original from the game somehow.

However, I’m a little unsure about the rest. I thought until a few months ago that these rules were the same for minions, but now I know they are not. If a unique minion is killed/discarded, you can play another copy of that same unique minion next turn, right?

What about followers? If a unique follower is "killed" (discarded), can I play another? What about for Shadow followers?

How do unique possessions/artifacts work? I always thought that once a unique possession/artifact was discarded (whether FP or Shadow), you couldn’t play another of the same title unless you remove the original from the discard pile. Is that the case or not?

Finally, how do unique conditions work? Obviously you can’t play 2 of the same tirle at the same time, but if a unique condition is discarded, can I play another copy even though there’s one of the same title in the discard pile?

I’m so confused. Just when I thought I had all this down, I’m realizing that some of the very basics are escaping me. Maybe I’m just overthinking it. I THINK that the only exception to playing a unique card while another unique card with the same title is in the discard or dead pile is minions. Am I right? If not, where am I wrong?

Help! Confused
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Kaiser
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:35 am
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think cards in the discard pile don’t matter for purposes of uniqueness, as they are NOT in play.

As long as you don’t have a copy of the same card (title) in play, even if there’s a copy of •Aragorn in the discard pile, you can still play one. The same is true for •minions, or •conditions for that matter.

The dead pile is different from the discard pile, in that you cannot play cards you already have a copy of in the dead pile. But for the discard pile, this does not apply.
Have a look at my trade list (incl. lots of 17/18 RF/O foils).
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:37 am
Really? That might be what was throwing me for a loop then, because I thought you couldn’t play a unique companion if another copy was in the discard pile.

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
bibfortuna25
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:39 am
That’s why it helps to read the rules first. Smile
All cards do what they say.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:42 am
I know, I know. I’ve got them around here somewhere....

So that’s it, then? You can play another copy of any unique card in the discard pile, just not the dead pile?

bibfortuna25
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:43 am
Correct. Otherwise, no one would ever use Nazgûl.
All cards do what they say.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:45 am
Right. I thought minions might be an exception to the rule for some reason.

Okay, thanks. GP to you both. Thumbs Up

NBarden
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:16 pm
Only time uniqueness rules apply are with the dead pile and in-play. Other than that, there aren’t any unique rules.

Followers, FYI, are not placed in the dead pile, as they are not characters. They are discarded. However, allies and companions are placed in the dead pile.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:39 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
ALso, notice uniqueness is particularly tricky in multiplayer game, since the actual rule is that you can’t have 2 active unique cards out at the same time (otherwise if a player played Aragorn, the other one wouldn’t be able to), but if they’re already in play, although only one is active, the others aren’t discarded or anything else. What does this means? It means that, if you and, say, elf lvr are both shadow players right now and he plays Worry, you can’t play Worry yourself as well. But then, next turn, when he’s the FP player, you CAN play your Worry out without further problems. And, when, say, NBarden is back to being the FP player again, there will be 2 Worries out. Only one will beconsidered active, but if he gets rid of one, the other will still affect him.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:39 am
Also, shadow cards borne by a fellowship that is not active is not considered active. For example, you can play Thin and Stretched on an opponent’s ring-bearer, and then when it is no longer his turn, but your other opponent’s turn, that card isn’t active, so you can play another Thin and Stretched on your other opponent’s ring-bearer, even though its unique.
Last edited by NBarden on Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions