LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
80%
  [ 4 ]  80%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
inresponse
Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:17 pm
almost identical to the list craig jones played. The decks I last lsited were all major decks in the environment before honalulu. Even if you don’t have results after honalulu, that doesn’t mean the deck is good. THe new decks in the format being able to beat this just shows it can’t compete in the current environment. Maybe it will get a few good cards from dissension that will make it playable (after all, there are two blue guilds coming out)

If you want some of my playtesting records, I can copy and paste them to you from mws, but they keep track of everything, so it might be hard to follow, also you wouldn’t knwo the cards in my hand...

I can playtest versus you, with you playing this deck anytime you like if you get mws. I think that is the only real way to show you my results.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:22 pm
ERm... I made this deck as a deck to beat things like Wwr that were still talked about before the PT... I could tweak it slightly to make it better for zooish things, though. Gimme a few days to tweak to Craig Jones’s deck and other Pros, and I’m happy to playtest.

Any chance we could use apprentice instead of MWS?
inresponse
Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:25 am
wwr hasn’t been a deck since last year’s states.

We can try apprentice, but something always seems to go wrong with it. LEt me know the time
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:18 am
yeah... I’ve recently been having trouble with mine, too. Where can I download MWS?
inresponse
Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:38 pm
www.magicworkstation.com
Silver Sniper
Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:26 pm
La_Sin_Grail wrote:

In response to moldervine cloak, I kill the creature. when they dredge it, I’ll wait and kill the creature in response to them playing it again.

I’ve swapped out Moldervine cloak for Loxodon Warhammer in my dredge deck - the deck is playing stronger now. How does it now rate against this one?
Osion
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:25 pm
I know its been forever since I’ve posted here (and forever since I picked up a deck and played, but...

Today I ran into a U/R decklist that was highly similiar to yours ---
Dragonauts, Gelectrode, bunch of sorceries and instants, and Quicken instead of Reach Through Mists.

Despite heavy amounts of card drawing and pinging and swings from dragonauts, the deck absolutely died even in the casual atmosphere.

The problem is that with only 4 dragonauts, the main "ultra beatdown" of this deck, as you claim it, is unconstant and a gamble with almost every play, for reasons below --

Do you use those card-draws to find dragonaut, or do you save them to pump up their stats when you finally get them out? Do you save your burn to pump them up, or do you spend it quickly to spare some damage from a creature rush?

The deck died to Paladin En-Vec each and every single time the 2/2 pro-red was played. simply put, 2 ways to stop Jitte main-deck isn’t enough - if they can get it on a creature like Paladin, Silhana Ledgewalker, or heck, Ghost Council of Orzhova, its pretty much over. Same goes for a non-Jitted solifuge or something like that.

You have no defence against Wrath, and actual testing shows Loxodon Hierarch to give this deck EXTREME difficuty all by itself -- The chance that you would have a Volcanic Hammer + Gelectrode ready is already pretty low.

The results you posted really clash with what I (and apparently Inreponse + The First) have seen; and "The Turn4 kill" you said came up one game isn’t even possible -- you use 11 cards in that chain, and turn 4, assuming a perfect hand and no mulligan, only lets you see 10 cards. Thus I really doubt the accuracy of your testing.

Addition by La_Sin_Grail: Actually, if you draw first, as half of all playtesting should be done (you don’t always go first in the real games), you start with seven cards and four turns means four cards. 7+4 is 11. It’s not like I said it’s likely, it just came up once out of a lot of apprenticing.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:51 pm
Drawing first. Thanks, Jason, 7+4=11. (Just because my Calc grade stinks doesn’t mean I can’t count. It’s not like I play trumpet..) Not everybody goes first all the time. I did some testing each way, and this came up once in many hands of the drawing section. I know you’re a smart kid, "Osion", so think before you tell me I’m lying!

Anyways a few things:

1) I don’t need a three damage burn to kill hierarch. A shock and two pings works (I can ping, shock, untap, ping)

2) I can swing over paladin. Plus he really isn’t played at all in any competitive standard deck.

3) I can swing over ghost council.

4) I can deal damage faster than ledgewalker. All I need to do is kill the jitte, which is doable.

5) Hierarch does cause some trouble. Unfortunately for it, there were no good decks running it when I put out playtesting.

6) Solifuge can cause problems but he usually doesn’t. If I’m getting hit for four every turn, it’s not the end of the world. They can’t jitte him, they can’t block with him, and I can deal more damage than four every turn. He isn’t a good card to play against, but him alone isn’t going to stop this deck.

In response to "do you play draw spells to find dragonauts or to pump him when you get him?" A good question. You should draw into one or the other dragonauts or gelectrode and unless somebody is playing paladin en-vec (which nobody does when isamaru is just plain better), you should be able to control the board. I always use compulsive research to find cards but I usually save electrolyze and reach for when he’s out.

Seriously, though, I’m pretty sure 4+7=11. If not, I need to have a *gulp* Calc party!
inresponse
Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:37 pm
Paladin is played in a large number of competitive standard decks!

after the last set of ptqs, paladin has shown up in a number of g/w agro builds, and has resided in hand in hand and other b/w agro disruption since the pt honalulu. seriosuly man, this is one of higher played cards in standard
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:07 pm
Defina a large number... Paladin is a filler card used occasionally depending on the build, and usually not included.

I decided to run a search on Starcitygames of the most recent grand prix/pro tour/wolds decks and here’s what I found in all of the first, seconds, thirds from many tournaments etc. combined.

1st place- Zero paladins, Ghazi Glare and Ghost Dad played w/o him

2nd- One deck played a partial playset (Orzhov agro)

3rd One playset (orzhov agro)

4th- 1.5 playsets, all orzhov agro

5-8th none.

I won’t say it’s never played, I’m sorry I misspoke. He’s played in one subset of a competitive deck (Orzhov, under agro only) and usually not a full playset. My point is really that he isn’t a huge issue in any sort of large number of matches.

No ghost dad decks that did well played him.

No ghazi glares that did well played him.

The only deck that uses paladin is Orzhov Agro, and only half of all those among the elite decks ran a playset. I’m still more worried about kird ape a lot more, which I would call used in a large number.

1st- Two full playsets

2nd- Two full playsets.

I’m too lazy to look up the rest, but there were more kird apes in the top two slots than there were in the T8 Paladins.

I’ll say he’s more played than I’d previously thought, but definately not highly played, sorry.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest