LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
Shieldmaiden
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:22 am
Joined: 07 May 2007 Posts: 389 Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
I’ve been reading about 1st edition, 2nd edition and misprinted cards. I’ve many questions about them. Is one edition worth more than another? Is it more difficult to find one over the other? Are misprints worthless, or worth more?

There was a guy selling a FotR set on E-bay, starting price was 40 pounds (about $80). He said it was worth that because the cards were all 1st edition. He didn’t get any bidders, though. Does the edition make a difference?
Trade With Me, I went to Middle Earth, and all I got was this stupid ring!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.
LeoKula
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:45 am
I’m confused about that myself Shieldmaiden... I’m keeping track of this topic! Thumbs Up
If you have a MW Éomer, Horsemaster, please let me know what you want for it Smile
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:00 am
I guess the cheap answer is that it all depends on the collector. Razz In general I haven’t really noticed 1st edition cards selling for more than their 2nd edition counterparts, although if it’s for an entire set I could understand a modest increase in price. To me though it’s just a number (or lack thereof) in the bottom corner, and I’d actually prefer 2nd edition cards if they have the correct errata.

Misprints really depend on the type. They generally go down in value or become worthless to me, but there are collectors out there who value certain misprints highly. For example you could get an amazing deal out of a blank/black card, although I’d have no idea what to do with one. You’d probably find some demand for cards with severe off-positioning (the picture runs into the edge, or you can see part of another card’s picture on it) as well.

Here’s a nice image of some Helm’s Deep misprints. I guess a "misprint" is in the eye of the beholder because I’d call some of those blemishes "ugly defects," but the Baruk Khazad in particular looks really nifty. It only happens on the foil version, too! So depending on whom you ask, that may be worth more than a regular foil Baruk Khazad. Certainly more than a misprinted Saruman’s Chill (I believe it has a 2 printed over the 1 in the twilight cost), which is a mere common--and no one wants Saruman’s Chill, anyway.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:37 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
that baruk khazad is awesome. if you are ever trading it I want it.

I have a misprint from JoR that has the upper edge, normally black, blue.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Gate Troll
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:46 pm
Joined: 15 Aug 2006 Posts: 384 Location: Udun Vale, Home of the one and only... Gate Troll!
All the Saruman’s Chills are misprints.
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of the men who follow and of the man who leads that gains that victory."-George S. Patton.
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:35 pm
The twilight cost? I have a couple that are printed correctly. What I can’t believe is that I actually bought four copies for my old Return to Its Master deck. Come to that, also a couple of Hobbit Swords. Shocked

SoP, I don’t actually have a Baruk Khazad misprint, sorry. Any of the smudges you’d like instead? j/k
Anautikus
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:36 am
I have a 2 Galadriel’s Mirror, and one has an "A" printed on the right-bottom corner, while the other has a "B." Does that just mean different versions? I’ve never seen it ebfore, and each card has a slightly different text on it (one is almost a clarified game text, the other is a bit vague) Any rarity or oddity here?
My Haves/Wants
Let's Trade! Cool

"Don't waste your time, or time will waste you..."
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:04 am
Wow, really? I’d forgotten how much errata the Mirror received. Laughing

The letter signifies an actual wording change in the reprint. First time it gets an "A", then if the "A" card is further revised it gets a "B", and so on. I’ve never heard of a "C" revision but the experts here would know for sure.
Shieldmaiden
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:37 am
Joined: 07 May 2007 Posts: 389 Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Great, thanks for all of the replies! 3-4 GP to ES for his especially helpful posts.
Now I’m going to look for the A’s and B’s, in addition to everything else. I know that the B is a card that has been changed, but is it a 2nd edition card, or is that something else? Eh?
Trade With Me, I went to Middle Earth, and all I got was this stupid ring!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:47 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
shucks. If you ever get one I am quite interested. GP for all the info ES!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion