LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:18 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
So the other day, Shieldmaiden and I are playing a game on SdA, and things are going pretty well for me. I have a powerful Aragorn/Arwen combo that she’s not able to do much to, until an unlikely little minion wreaks havoc and exhausts them both, along with my Ring-bearer: White Hand Slayer.

I had a LOT of twilight, and she was cursed by only having a couple cheap minions. One of them died off in archery, so only the poor, weak little Slayer was left when it came to archery. I assigned it to Arwen, thinking I had this in the bag.

Not to fast. Shieldmaiden plays Broken In Defeat. Still not a big deal, I think. But then she plays a second one, and uses all the spare twilight to take them into hand (since I had exactly 6 companions at the time). In the end, she gave her minion a HUGE pump AND exhausted an-until-then fully healthy Aragorn, Arwen, and Galadriel RB. She probably could have done even more damage had the rest of my fellowship not been hunters.

In mentioning this elsewhere, lem0nhead came up with a REALLY evil idea: throw the non-culturally-enforced Orc Skulker into the mix. Like most of the Orc culture, the Skulker’s ability is not limited to Orc cards...it reduces the cost of ANY Shadow skirmish event by 1.

So, imagine this scenario: play White Hand Slayer and Orc Skulker--only 5 twilight for the pair--with a Broken In Defeat in hand. Since the Skulker is a lurker, his ability will be active when the Slayer skirmishes, so you can play Broken In Defeat for free. Assuming there are at least 6 companions in the fellowship, you can then take Broken In Defeat back into hand and play it as many times as you want, exerting a non-hunter companion each time!

OUCH.

My experience was bad enough, but it could have been much worse.

This has probably been mentioned somewhere before and I’m just late to the party, but I thought I’d mention it since I saw a toned-down version first-hand, and I was lucky to outpump her and survive. In THIS scenario, you’re looking at an overwhelmed companion almost for certain, and a LOT of exhausted companions!
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:16 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
thats insane..easily fixed with a little skulker culture enforcement, then you just have a bad combo, not a broken one.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
LeoKula
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:51 pm
It’s not an "overwhelmed companion almost for certain" it’s an infinite strength minion. I think there must be a rule somewhere regarding infinite combos.
If you have a MW Éomer, Horsemaster, please let me know what you want for it Smile
NappyKorn
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:11 pm
what would make this combo even nastier would be a gollum played with a plotting to add threats equal to the number of companions then when the fellowship become completely exhausted and the White Hand slayer wins the skirmish all the threats kill the entire fellowship. Twisted Evil

Gollum (not roaming) 2 twilight
Orc Skulker (not raoming) 2 twilight
White Hans Slayer (not roaming) 3 twilight
Plotting 5 twilght
Broken in Defeat 0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0.......
Killing the entire fellowship at site 5 for just 12 twilight, Priceless!
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
bibfortuna25
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:17 pm
Easy solution to this problem: Don’t use more than 5 companions.
All cards do what they say.
Shieldmaiden
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:43 am
Joined: 07 May 2007 Posts: 389 Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
So true, bib! With 5 or less companions, the use of this combo becomes null and void.
Trade With Me, I went to Middle Earth, and all I got was this stupid ring!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.
macheteman
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:36 am
yeah, i pretty much always have less than six companions in play. there were too many enquea’s and greed’s floating around in my meta.
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
josiah_of_rohan
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:09 pm
Joined: 13 Aug 2005 Posts: 723 Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
or instead of using gollum to kill everyone off. play these with the old isengard orcs... that exert to wound and discard to wound in the regroup
my trade ist is here http://trade.mahasamatman.com/Rings/list_show.pl?user=keltnerj
bobtheorc
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:46 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
that is pretty sweet.
And would be very nice versus ents...
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
NappyKorn
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:56 pm
Like mentioned this will only work if your opponent foolishy run 6 or more comps and in my opinion I think the gollum plotting strategy is more effective than trying to get enough Isengard orcs out. But I see the orcs working just as well but just causes you to need more cards in hand to kill the whole 6+ fellowship.
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion