LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:17 pm
Format: Expanded

Ring-bearer and Ring
Boromir, Bearer of Council
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings

Adventure Path
Woody End
Buckland Homestead
Courtyard Parapet
Neekerbreekers’ Bog
Pelennor Flat
Caras Galadhon
Helm’s Gate
Trollshaw Forest
North Undeep

Free Peoples (32)
Faramir, Captain of Gondor (starting)
Aragorn, Strider (starting)
Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith (starting)
Isildur, Heir of Elendil x2
Elendil, The Tall
Derufin
Narsil, Blade of the Faithful
Faramir’s Sword
Anduril, Flame of the West
Knight’s Spear x2
Footman’s Armor
Scroll of Isildur
Sapling of the White Tree x4
Ring of Barahir x2
Noble Leaders x4
King’s Legacy x2
Heirs of Gondor x2
Sentinels of Numenor x4

Shadow (32)
Morgul Brute x4
Morgul Destroyer x4
Morgul Whelp x3
Ulaire Otsea, Seventh of the Nine Riders x3
Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders x4
Ulaire Nertea, Thrall of the One x2
Ulaire Cantea, Faster than Winds x2
The Witch-king, Captain of the Nine Riders x3
Ithil Stone x2
Flung into the Fray x2
Black Marshal x3

Free Peoples Strategy
This deck focuses on getting out a bunch of strong Gondorians, and pumping their strength with cards like Noble Leaders, Heirs of Gondor, and skirmish events.

All 4 of the companions needed to trigger Noble Leaders are included in the starting fellowship. This is handy, because Noble Leaders will add 4 tokens when it comes into play.

Isildur, Heir of Elendil is in the deck to help set up a Shadow swarm. His father, Elendil, can have a heck of a lot of strength if paired with Narsil. Derufin is a key to victory against Corsairs and Besiegers, but if you aren’t played against one of those decks then you probably shouldn’t play Derufin.

Scroll of Isildur adds resistance to Boromir. Saplings provide wound prevention, and they also boost Narsil and Scroll of Isildur.

The weapons, Noble Leaders, Heirs of Gondor, and Sentinels of Numenor provide the strength in this deck. And believe me, it’s a lot. Smile

Once the deck gets set up (with help from Denethor), it can double-move like crazy to the end.

Shadow Strategy

This is a Ringwraith Orc/Nazgul swarm. It works very well, even though it doesn’t have many ways to add twilight.

Otsea is an awesome form of hand extension. Nertea can give a surprise site-3 swarm, and end the game quickly. Cantea makes good use of your threats, and can discard pesky possessions like Aragorn’s Bow. Nelya can switch out your sites so you can use them multiple times - if you can get a few burdens, then Neekerbreekers’ Bog can exhaust their fellowship speedily. The Witch-king is a big minion with toil 2, which means that he will often come into play for no twilight.

The Brutes and Destroyers both do their share of beating up the Ring-bearer, and can become very strong. The Whelps are cheap minions, who are usually 9 strength.

The support area cards are all very useful. Flung into the Fray gives you hand extension, and can also exert companions. Ithil Stone gives you an extra card each turn. Last (but not least), Black Marshal adds twilight when you play minions.

This deck works when your opponent adds a bunch of twilight, because with all the hand extension you’ll almost never be short of minions. However, even if you are only allowed a minimal amount of twilight you can still pull off a deadly swarm.

Please comment!
Last edited by AnxiousChieftain on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:42 am; edited 2 times in totalMODS RULE. - lem0nhead
ingold55
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:27 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
before i scrutinize your deck, what does expanded mean? Confused
There is a power in this world beyond any of us, and Jesus is that power and The Savior.

Cool this is my attempt to look cool.
Trade list (Want Balrogs and Aragorns)
syndrome
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:41 am
ingold55 wrote:
before i scrutinize your deck, what does expanded mean? Confused
He plays it in Extended?
http://myspace/delicatesituation
Cobra
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:24 am
Four basic LOTR TCG formats:

Standard -- uses cards from the latest three blocks (currently TTT, ROTK, and Shadows blocks -- in other words, all sets from The Two Towers through Bloodlines). A few cards are X-listed (banned from this format)

Extended -- uses any cards, but a few are X-listed and a few more are R-listed (restricted to one copy in a deck)

Block -- uses cards from only one block (i.e. "FOTR Block" format allows Fellowship of the Ring, Mines of Moria, and Realms of the Elf-lords).

Open -- anything goes.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Cobra
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:42 am
FP is solid -- a well-proven fellowship with a couple tech additions, I like it. My only suggestion is to run only 1 Scroll of Isildur -- either you need it and will pull it with Denethor, or you don’t.

Shadow looks pretty good too, but not quite as focused as it could be -- are you trying to kill with wounds, or swarm? This is definitely closer to a swarm deck, so I’d suggest swapping Morgul Spearman for Morgul Whelp, and Stooping to the Kill for an extra swarm helper card (Otsea, Ithil, Flung, Marshal). Or maybe a fourth Nelya, that guy tears it up every time he hits the table. Cool

Something else to consider would be a Gollum package -- with Gollum, Dark as Darkness and 4x Captured By The Ring, you get a minion, a threat, and a Ring-bearer exertion (speeding up the Brutes’ and Destroyers’ work) for 2 twilight. And then he can use those Brute burdens to add some more twilight for the swarm kill. Twisted Evil
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:31 am
Cobra wrote:
Extended -- uses any cards, but a few are X-listed and a few more are R-listed (restricted to one copy in a deck)

I may be wrong, but I’m almost sure that the name is Expanded, not Extended.
Cobra wrote:
FP is solid -- a well-proven fellowship with a couple tech additions, I like it. My only suggestion is to run only 1 Scroll of Isildur -- either you need it and will pull it with Denethor, or you don’t.

Good idea - I took out a scroll, and added an extra copy of Isildur.
Cobra wrote:
Shadow looks pretty good too, but not quite as focused as it could be -- are you trying to kill with wounds, or swarm? This is definitely closer to a swarm deck, so I’d suggest swapping Morgul Spearman for Morgul Whelp, and Stooping to the Kill for an extra swarm helper card (Otsea, Ithil, Flung, Marshal). Or maybe a fourth Nelya, that guy tears it up every time he hits the table. Cool

You have a good point. I’ll try to change the cards a bit.
Cobra wrote:
Something else to consider would be a Gollum package -- with Gollum, Dark as Darkness and 4x Captured By The Ring, you get a minion, a threat, and a Ring-bearer exertion (speeding up the Brutes’ and Destroyers’ work) for 2 twilight. And then he can use those Brute burdens to add some more twilight for the swarm kill. Twisted Evil

He’s cool, but I don’t know if I have the room. I’ll look over the deck and see what’s absolutely needed, and then decide.

Thanks!
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Hazael
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:41 pm
maybe I am missing something here, but why Footman’s Armor when you could have Coat of Mail or Heavy Chain?
Some of the best scenarios on EE...
Up All Night Productions
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:50 pm
Hazael wrote:
maybe I am missing something here, but why Footman’s Armor when you could have Coat of Mail?

Because Footman’s Armor can be used as many times as is needed. Both of them have their advantages - Coat of Mail works wonders when Boromir’s strength is already very high, but Footman’s Armor is great if you are running out of strength boosts.

For example:

If Boromir has 10 strength and 5 cards in your hand
Coat of Mail means that your opponent will need 30 strength to overwhelm him.
Footman’s Armor pumps Boromir to 20 strength, meaning that your opponent will need 40 strength to overwhelm him.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Hazael
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:56 pm
but that comes at a cost that you may not be able to handle when you only have 64 cards in your deck. Plus your minions will be affected by it too.

And it has risks:

Boromir strength of 10 and you have 2 cards in your hand...
28 can overwhelm him.
Some of the best scenarios on EE...
Up All Night Productions
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:09 pm
Hazael wrote:
but that comes at a cost that you may not be able to handle when you only have 64 cards in your deck. Plus your minions will be affected by it too.

I still say it’s worth the cost. If I’m playing against a hard-core swarm deck, it’s worth dropping all my Shadow cards in order to live.

Hazael wrote:
And it has risks:

Boromir strength of 10 and you have 2 cards in your hand...
28 can overwhelm him.

Coat of Mail has risks:

Boromir strength of 10
31 can overwhelm him

But with Footman’s Armor

Boromir strength of 10 (with an average of 5 cards in hand, with this deck)
40 can overwhelm him
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded