LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
Lurkerburger
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:27 am
For me , MTG has pretty easy rules for resolving. But when we try to figure out this in LOTR... we have problems. + Im always side that helps me , veBu is against everything , Halcyon doesn’t say nothing and our 4th player always accept everything. I take two examples:

Let us be swift

so spotting 3 valiant is "cost", but does this card discard two conditions even if there is no site to liberate?

Corsair Plunder

Can i add tokens even if i don’t have cards in hand? We could use some other examples too.
O.o
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:48 am
That playgroup sounds fun to be around. Laughing

Lurkerburger wrote:
Let us be swift

so spotting 3 valiant is "cost", but does this card discard two conditions even if there is no site to liberate?

Spotting is a requirement to play a card, not a cost (costs come after). Think of the text as:

Event • Regroup
To play, spot 3 valiant Men.
Discard up to 2 conditions and liberate a site.

Here discarding conditions and liberating a site are effects (the cost is adding twilight for Let Us Be Swift). You perform as much of the effects as you can and ignore the rest. You can discard up to 2 conditions even if there is no site to liberate.

Quote:
Corsair Plunder

Can i add tokens even if i don’t have cards in hand? We could use some other examples too.

Discarding 2 cards from hand is the cost of an action. (As a rule of thumb, what comes before "to" are costs, and what comes afterward are effects. An exception as noted above is spotting in the context of playing a card, which is a requirement.) Costs must be paid in order to perform the effects. If you don’t discard 2 cards from hand, you can’t add 2 tokens.

The Comprehensive Rulebook details some other examples (and further ruling nuances) under "cost" and "effect" if you’d like to take a look.
Frank_the_Hippo
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:55 am
hippo wonders, so could hippo play a corsair marauder, exert a castamir to play him, discard a possession and then not add tokens? like if hippo didn’t have any ships out?
hippo is a cop. Hippo need your help. Help hippo
don't help hippo

if you chose help hippo, you can help by giving hints. Hippo knows rules not allow giving things away.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:45 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Yes. Adding tokens is the effect. That’s why Marauder is so useful.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
NBarden
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:29 pm
Lurkerburger wrote:
For me , MTG has pretty easy rules for resolving. But when we try to figure out this in LOTR... we have problems.

MtG triggers are a lot more complicated than LotR, actually, unless you’re familiar with MtG and can’t see how simple LotR triggers are. Or maybe I’m just not used to the MtG triggers yet, being a newbie myself.

Here’s the rules for triggering.

You pay the cost. You get as much of the effect as possible. If it looks like a cost, its a cost. Costs activate simultaneously, meaning that you must be able to fulfill both before you can play the card. See Deep in Thought.

If you cannot completely fulfill the effect, fulfill as much as possible. You must fulfill as much as possible, for example, if a FP card’s effect says discard a condition and a possession, and the shadow player has no possessions, you must discard your own. If neither do, that part is ignored. See Sleep, Caradhras, Grown Suddenly Tall, Saruman’s Power, etc.

In short. Must pay the cost period. Get as much effect AS POSSIBLE, not as is favorable to you.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:48 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
NBarden wrote:
Lurkerburger wrote:
For me , MTG has pretty easy rules for resolving. But when we try to figure out this in LOTR... we have problems.

MtG triggers are a lot more complicated than LotR, actually, unless you’re familiar with MtG and can’t see how simple LotR triggers are. Or maybe I’m just not used to the MtG triggers yet, being a newbie myself.

Here’s the rules for triggering.

Onyl that what you described was not a trigger, it was playign a card/activating an ability. Wink A trigger is something like Gandalf, the Grey Pilgrim.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:54 pm
Ah, okay. But there’s nothing as complicated as "the stack" in LotR, like the MtG mess.

I guess with triggers, it comes down to...

READ THE CARD!

And remember that priority for playing cards bounces from FP first, to shadow player, until nobody takes an action.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:31 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Quite correct. While I actually LIKE having a stack (makes gameplay more tricky, favoring who trains more, knows more, etc), in LotR "resolving" abilities is quite more player-friendly, for begginers specially. They simply happen. Putting it in basic terms, "priority" ships to the other player whenever an action is performed OR when you decline to perform one, until both players pass it. Then, the game moves into the next phase. Quite similar to MtG. The only difference is that, when you perform an action (declare it and pay the costs), it simply HAPPENS, right away, and THEN you ship priority. The only exception are the actions and events worded with "Response", which THEN would work like MtG, only that those are quite few.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:23 pm
Wait, with MtG, doesn’t one player have priority until they pass? Like, they can play 3 instants back to back and then when they decline, the next person gets to play, correct?

In LotR, it ships back and forth each time, not until the player declines to play.

Correct me if I’m wrong.
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:25 pm
Oh man, if LotR didn’t ship back and forth, nothing would ever get through Knights. d'oh!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions