LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:26 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
NBarden wrote:
The problem is, then you lose the damage +1 bonus, so its only a net damage +1 gain, and that’s for discarding the axe.

Exactly. But I don’t see how that’s a "problem".

NBarden wrote:
As its the flat-out damage bonus that makes the card overpowered (see now obsolete Rider’s Spear, Rohirrim Axe, Sword of the Mark, etc), my suggestion is to drop the damage bonus, or make the damage bonus conditional, like all the other Rohan weapons. Flat-out damage makes the card OP, not the ability. So I would either make it conditional or drop damage altogether.

But AGAIN, it costs 2. All those others cost only 1. Thus, I fail to see how it’s unbalanced.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:34 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

1 Rohirrim Sword Rohan
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be a Rohan Man.
While at a battleground or plains site, bearer is damage +1.
“...long swords were at their belts, their burnished skirts of mail hung down upon their knees.”
generally damage+ isn’t all that useful, but it keeps with the theme.

2 Rider’s Axe Rohan
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be a Rohan Man. Bearer is damage +1.
Skirmish: If bearer is mounted, discard this possession to make bearer strength +3 and damage +2 until the end of the current skirmish.
“‘The men of Rohan must ride forth today, and we will ride with them, axe, sword, and bow.’”

cool. I would almost say its underpowered. up the skirmish ability to +4.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:46 pm
Rohan never chokes. Ever. Matter of fact, the strategy behind Rohan is to throw stuff out REGARDLESS of twilight cost. A 1 difference isn’t going to mean a thing to a Rohan deck. If you’re doing this in a culture that chokes a lot, then yes, an extra twilight WOULD make it more balanced, but frankly, Rohan doesn’t care a whit about an extra few twilight here or there.

Making the damage bonus conditional would be best.

Take it from someone who plays 2 Rohan decks and 3 choke decks. With a choke deck, or even just a regular small fellowship deck, the extra twilight can be a pain. I’ve tried and tried to fit The Faithful Stone, Anduril, and Fishing Boat into my Frodo/Smeagol/Aragorn choke, and its a pain to manipulate twilight to ensure that it works. Its also a pain to use Anduril in my HttWC/Anarion choke, and the twilight cost definitely balances the defender +1 without a threat bonus from KB. However, look at the other end of the spectrum. I play a HIDAN Archery deck and a Fighting Frodo deck, both Rohan, and trust me. When I’m throwing around Riddermark Javelins off Sword-Racks, bouncing Merry, Swordthain and using possession nabbing Gamling, I couldn’t care less what my possessions cost, but I absolutely LOVE damage for running with. I assume that Rohan run decks that move 5 times per turn couldn’t care less how much twilight they throw out, since they’ll probably be pushing 60-70 anyway towards the end of their run, 1 more isn’t going to matter, especially since it helps ensure that nobody gets through for the double.

Also, look at the combo of the ability with Sword Rack or Merry, Swordthain in particular. That alone makes this card sweet and VERY playable without a damage bonus. But the damage bonus makes sure that you’ll never use another card again.

Seriously, Dain, flat-out damage +1 on non-unique Rohan stuff, except MAYBE if you start hitting 4 or have some heavy spotting requirements is OP. damage is Rohan’s best friend, and having that axe there is going to ensure that no other Rohan possession gets played again (except maybe Rider’s Spear if you need more than 4 possessions in the deck.

Trust me on this one Dain.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:57 pm
Okay, NB. Let’s say I change the damage to conditional and lower the cost to the more normal 1. What would be a good conditional way to have that damage become active, in your opinion?

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:40 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
NB has a good point. IMHO, drop the discard ability down to damage+1 and get rid of the other. it is still VERy good with swordthain and could probably be kept at 2.

excuse my silly comments in my earlier post about it being overpowered. I don’t play rohan decks, and forgot about swordthain.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:11 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Okay, NB. Let’s say I change the damage to conditional and lower the cost to the more normal 1. What would be a good conditional way to have that damage become active, in your opinion?

Depends on what the condition is. 1 Rohan weapons are conditional damage and nothing else. But if the condition is difficult to meet, then I think you’re good.

Quote:
I don’t play rohan decks, and forgot about swordthain.

YOU DON’T?!?!?!

QUICK! Grab him Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien, 4 Riddermark Javelin, 4 Sword Rack, Coif, Rohirrim Mount, Sworthain, 4 Rider’s Mount and 4 Rohirrim Helm!

That configuration will make a deck to be reckoned with, whatever else you may add in.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:39 pm
NBarden wrote:
Quote:
I don’t play rohan decks, and forgot about swordthain.

YOU DON’T?!?!?!

QUICK! Grab him Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien, 4 Riddermark Javelin, 4 Sword Rack, Coif, Rohirrim Mount, Sworthain, 4 Rider’s Mount and 4 Rohirrim Helm!

That configuration will make a deck to be reckoned with, whatever else you may add in.

Eh, I prefer Restless Maiden coupled with Dernhelm’s Blade, personally. It’s just fun to have a repeatable, multi-wounding, strength 20+ Eowyn running around. Twisted Evil

I’ll see what I can come up with for the Axe rewrite.

NBarden
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:04 pm
But then I drop.

Shocked

TWO MINIONS! Dancing
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:39 pm
Ideas have been merely trickling in lately, but I think I’ve finally got my mojo back. Mr. Green Here are three new possessions, including (finally) some non-unique steeds. Enjoy!

2 Horse of the Mark Rohan
Possession • Mount
Strength +1
To play, spot a Rohan Man. Bearer must be a hunter companion.
At the start of each skirmish involving bearer, each minion skirmishing bearer must exert.
“...he saw not a shadow, nor a blur, but the small figures of horsemen, many horsemen, and the glint of morning on the tips of their spears was like the twinkle of minute stars beyond the edge of mortal sight.”

1 Éored Steed Rohan
Possession • Mount
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you may choose a Shadow player who must exert a minion (or wound a minion if bearer is a hunter).
“Merry and Pippin heard, clear in the cold air, the neighing of war-horses, and the sudden singing of many men.”

1 Bow of the Mark Rohan
Possession • Ranged Weapon
If bearer is at a battleground or plains site, he or she gains hunter 1.
At the end of each archery phase, if the fellowship archery total is 1 or less, make the fellowship archery total +1.
“...some of the horsemen had bows in hand, and their arrows were already fitted to the string.”
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

lem0nhead
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:

2 Horse of the Mark Rohan
Possession • Mount
Strength +1
To play, spot a Rohan Man. Bearer must be a hunter companion.
At the start of each skirmish involving bearer, each minion skirmishing bearer must exert.
“...he saw not a shadow, nor a blur, but the small figures of horsemen, many horsemen, and the glint of morning on the tips of their spears was like the twinkle of minute stars beyond the edge of mortal sight.”

Not convinced DI. Not sure the point but i dont think it needs to exist.

1 Éored Steed Rohan
Possession • Mount
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you may exert a minion (or wound a minion if bearer is a hunter).
“Merry and Pippin heard, clear in the cold air, the neighing of war-horses, and the sudden singing of many men.”

Cool take on the horse thing.

1 Bow of the Mark Rohan
Possession • Ranged Weapon
If bearer is at a battleground or plains site, he or she gains hunter 1.
At the end of each archery phase, if the fellowship archery total is 1 or less, make the fellowship archery total +1.
“...some of the horsemen had bows in hand, and their arrows were already fitted to the string.”

Hmm ok. Seems like it needs a tweak but not sure what.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards