LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:49 am
So we have a couple of dropouts and missing entries, but also 2 new contestants in this lot (including my own Wink). Not entering this round (or any other, for that matter) is no obstacle to reentering in future, by the way.

Now onto some Dwarves and Elves. Just a couple of quick notes first:

1) Let’s for the moment pretend Dain Ironfoot, King Under the Mountain doesn’t exist because he makes any attempt at a useful Dwarf Guard nigh on broken.

2) Bear in mind that in general I was pushing for high power level and decent stats, otherwise they’d be too difficult to use, but also that it’s incredibly difficult to balance a 1 cost companion. So be lenient with power level in this round.

3) This may seem like a lot of cards, but they firstly don’t have much text, and secondly the same ideas are used in each pair, so don’t be daunted!

4) Vote for your favourite 3 in order, as usual.

5) Voting deadline will be Saturday 8th.

And without further ado, let’s bring on the cards:

NBarden
1 Dwarf Guard (V) Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 3
Vit: 2
Sig/Res: 4
Damage +1.
To play, spot a Dwarf.
Skirmish: If the Free Peoples player is at an underground or mountain site, exert dwarf guard and discard a Dwarven possession to discard Dwarf Guard to make a Dwarf damage +1 until the regroup phase.
Dwarves from Dain’s people are stout companions, trustworthy and loyal.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
Sig/Res: 4
To play, spot an Elf.
Skirmish: If the Free Peoples player is at a forest or river site, exert Lórien Elf and add two burdens to discard Lórien Elf and discard a condition.
"...we dwell now in the heart of the forest, and do not willingly have dealings with any other folk."
1 V 53

Hobbiton Lad
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 4
Vit: 3
Res: 6
To play, spot a Dwarf.
While you can spot only Dwarves (except the ring-bearer) in the fellowship, this companion is strength +2 and damage +1.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
While you can spot only Elves (except the ring-bearer) in the fellowship, this companion is strength +2 and gains muster.
...we dwell now in the heart of the forest, and do not willingly have dealings with any other folk
1 V 53

Lem0nhead
Companion • Dwarf
Strength: 4
Vitality: 2
Resistance: 6
To play spot a Dwarf.
When you play this companion it is strength +2 and damage +1 until the regroup phase.
Regroup: Return this companion to hand to play a Dwarven possession from your discard pile.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play spot an Elf.
When you play this companion it is strength +2 and resistance +2 until the regroup phase.
Regroup: Return this companion to hand to remove a threat.
"’...we dwell now in the heart of the forest, and do not willingly have dealings with any other folk.’"
1 V 53

AgentDrake
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 1
Res: 5
To play, spot a Dwarf.
This companion is strength +1 for each other Dwarf you can spot.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
This companion is strength +1 for each other Elf you can spot.
"’...we dwell now in the heart of the forest, and do not willingly have dealings with any other folk.’"
1 V 53

Anonymous Prodigy
Companion • Dwarf
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 5
To play, spot a Dwarf.
Regroup: Exert this companion twice to play a Dwarven possession or Dwarven tale from your discard pile.
“‘In the ruins of the Dwarves, a dwarf’s head will be less easy to bewilder than Elves or Men or Hobbits.’”
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
Regroup: Exert this companion twice to play an Elven possession or Elven tale from your discard pile.
“‘And since you come with an Elf of our kindred, we are willing to befriend you….’”
1 V 53

Thranduil
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 5
This companion’s twilight cost is +1 for each Dwarf Guard you can spot.
While bearing a Dwarven possession, this companion is strength +1 and damage +1.
’What fun! What fun to be off again, to be off on the Road with Dwarves!’
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf Elven
Companion • Elf
This companion’s twilight cost is +1 for each Lórien Elf you can spot.
While bearing an Elven possession, each minion skirmishing this companion is strength -2.
’An Elven-maid there was of old, / A shining star by day: / Her mantle white was hemmed with gold, / Her shoes of silver-grey.’
1 V 53

Anonymous Prodigy
Companion • Dwarf
To play, spot a Dwarf.
Regroup: Exert this companion twice to play a Dwarven possession or Dwarven tale from your discard pile.
“‘In the ruins of the Dwarves, a dwarf’s head will be less easy to bewilder than Elves or Men or Hobbits.’”
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
Regroup: Exert this companion twice to play an Elven possession or Elven tale from your discard pile.
“‘And since you come with an Elf of our kindred, we are willing to befriend you….’”
1 V 53

AnxiousChieftain
Companion • Dwarf
To play, spot a Dwarf.
Each time a Dwarf wins a skirmish, you may make this companion strength +2 (and damage +1 if at a mountain) until the regroup phase.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
Each time an Elf wins a skirmish, you may make this companion strength +2 (or +3 if at a forest) until the regroup phase.
"’...we dwell now in the heart of the forest, and do not willing have dealings with any other folk.’"
1 V 53

Anvar
Companion • Dwarf
Skirmish: Exert this companion to make a unique Dwarf strength +1.
"Unwearied then were Durin’s folk; / Beneath the mountains music woke..."
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
Skirmish: Exert this companion to make a minion skirmish a unique Elf strength -1.
’"They’re Elves", said Sam. "Can’t you hear their voices?"’
1 V 53

sickofpalantirs
Companion • Dwarf
To play, spot a Dwarf.
When you play this companion, you may make each other Dwarf strength +2 until the regroup phase.
Dwarves from Dain’s people are stout companion, trustworthy and loyal.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
When you play this companion, you may make each other Elf strength +2 until the regroup phase.
"...we dwell now in the heart of the forest, and do not willing have dealings with any other folk"
1 V 53

LeoKula
Companion • Dwarf
To play spot a Dwarf.
Maneuver: Exert this companion to play a Dwarven artifact from your draw deck.
Dwarves from Dáin’s people are stout companions, trustworthy and loyal.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play spot an Elf.
Archery: Exert this companion to play an Elven ranged weapon from your draw deck.
1 V 53

elf lvr
Companion * Dwarf
To play, spot a Dwarf.
When you play Dwarf Guard, choose one: reinforce a Dwarven token, play a Dwarven possession from your discard pile, or make an opponent discard the top 2 cards of their draw deck.
1 V 7

1 Lorien Elf (V) Elven
Companion * Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
When you play Lorien Elf, choose one: reinforce an Elven token, take an Elven event from your discard pile into hand, or draw 2 cards.
"...we dwell now in the heart of the forest, and do not willingly have dealings with any other folk."
1 V 53
Last edited by Thranduil on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:57 pm; edited 3 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:02 am

I would normally review them but it would make this thread stupid long Razz
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:50 pm
Tough choice, but here I go:

1) #1 for an ingenious way to deal with low stat companions - throw them at Balrogs! Very Happy
2) #3 for an intriguing choice between hand clog and losing decent stats
3) #7 for a nice simple and effective mechanic

Also, have to say that #8’s Lorien Elf has one of my favourite lores of all time!

Come on guys, we’ve all got to vote. Cool

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:19 pm
I’ll vote in your contest if you vote in mine. Wink

I had to put something here.
Hobbiton Lad
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:57 am
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:29 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
I was one of the poor unfortunate souls that missed the deadline, thanks to another crazy weekend. (You may find out HOW crazy in a couple weeks.) That’s what I get for waiting (AGAIN) until the last couple days before the deadline. Ah well.

To make up for it, here’s a full review!

Quote:
Companion • Dwarf
Res: 4
Damage +1.
To play, spot a Dwarf.
Skirmish: If the Free Peoples player is at an underground or mountain site, exert dwarf guard and discard a Dwarven possession to discard Dwarf Guard to make a Dwarf damage +1 until the regroup phase.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
Res: 4
To play, spot an Elf.
Skirmish: If the Free Peoples player is at a forest or river site, exert Lórien Elf and add two burdens to discard Lórien Elf and discard a condition.
1 V 53

Not too bad. I like the Elf well enough, but the Dwarf just seems too weak. All that just for a damage bonus? Not really worth it, in my mind.

Quote:
Companion • Dwarf
To play, spot a Dwarf.
While you can spot only Dwarves (except the Ring-bearer) in the fellowship, this companion is strength +2 and damage +1.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
While you can spot only Elves (except the Ring-bearer) in the fellowship, this companion is strength +2 and gains muster.
...we dwell now in the heart of the forest, and do not willingly have dealings with any other folk
1 V 53

Thran’s note: Since we’re making these virtual cards in hindsight, just as a lot of these cards use resistance, I didn’t see a problem with using newer keywords as well.

Despite Thran’s words, I usually don’t like old-school cards being given new-school stuff like muster. That being said, I LOVE both of these cards. Borderline OP for 1 (I would have liked 2 vitality much better), but I think they’re balanced well enough.

Quote:
Companion • Dwarf
To play spot a Dwarf.
When you play this companion it is strength +2 and damage +1 until the regroup phase.
Regroup: Return this companion to hand to play a Dwarven possession from your discard pile.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play spot an Elf.
When you play this companion it is strength +2 and resistance +2 until the regroup phase.
Regroup: Return this companion to hand to remove a threat.
1 V 53

My problem with these is that they’re simply too easy to recycle. I know, I know...they’d create some serious hand clog in doing so. But I would have liked them MUCH better if their regroup ability exerted them to prevent you from turning them into easy archery sponges or the like. Not bad cards by any means, but a couple small tweaks would make them nigh perfect, in my opinion, and right now they fall a LITTLE short.

Quote:
Companion • Dwarf
To play, spot a Dwarf.
This companion is strength +1 for each other Dwarf you can spot.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
This companion is strength +1 for each other Elf you can spot.
1 V 53

Very interesting...but without a cap, these are both OP considering they can get up to a potential 9/3 for only 1.

Quote:
Companion • Dwarf
To play, spot a Dwarf.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
1 V 53

Not too shabby, but awfully weak. Would have liked them better with a little more strength and just 2 vitality...and then exerting just once, of course. Probably balanced, but I would simply never use them.

Quote:
Companion • Dwarf
This companion’s twilight cost is +1 for each Dwarf Guard you can spot.
While bearing a Dwarven possession, this companion is strength +1 and damage +1.
’"What fun! What fun to be off again, to be off on the Road with Dwarves!"’
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf Elven
Companion • Elf
This companion’s twilight cost is +1 for each Lórien Elf you can spot.
While bearing an Elven possession, each minion skirmishing this companion is strength -2.
’"An Elven-maid there was of old, / A shining star by day: / Her mantle white was hemmed with gold, / Her shoes of silver-grey."’
1 V 53

Niftiness. I like the twilight cost thing to prevent you from loading up on them, though the wording is a bit off. THESE I’d use to fill in that annoying leftover 1 you sometimes encounter when building your starting fellowship.

Quote:
Companion • Dwarf
To play, spot a Dwarf.
Each time a Dwarf wins a skirmish, you may make this companion strength +2 (and damage +1 if at a mountain) until the regroup phase.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
Each time an Elf wins a skirmish, you may make this companion strength +2 (or +3 if at a forest) until the regroup phase.
"’...we dwell now in the heart of the forest, and do not willing have dealings with any other folk.’"
1 V 53

Not bad, not bad. Above-average speed bumps at the very least.

Quote:
Companion • Dwarf
Skirmish: Exert this companion to make a unique Dwarf strength +1.
"Unwearied then were Durin’s folk; / Beneath the mountains music woke..."
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
Skirmish: Exert this companion to make a minion skirmishing a unique Elf strength -1.
’"They’re Elves", said Sam. "Can’t you hear their voices?"’
1 V 53

Nice and simple, which is good. Unfortunately, they’re also BELOW-average speed bumps, in my humble opinion. Not bad, just not something I can see myself using instead of simple pumps, which don’t sacrifice a valuable fellowship slot in the process.

Quote:
Companion • Dwarf
To play, spot a Dwarf.
When you play this companion, you may make each other Dwarf strength +2 until the regroup phase.
Dwarves from Dain’s people are stout companion, trustworthy and loyal.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
When you play this companion, you may make each other Elf strength +2 until the regroup phase.
"...we dwell now in the heart of the forest, and do not willing have dealings with any other folk"
1 V 53

I would have liked it a little more had they worked on themselves, too, but that doesn’t make them bad cards. Useful at the right time, certainly.

Quote:
Companion • Dwarf
To play spot a Dwarf.
Maneuver: Exert this companion to play a Dwarven artifact from your draw deck.
Dwarves from Dáin’s people are stout companions, trustworthy and loyal.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play spot an Elf.
Archery: Exert this companion to play an Elven ranged weapon from your draw deck.
1 V 53

I think these (much like the originals) would be fine with 5 strength or no spotting requirement. But I DO like the idea.

Quote:
Companion • Dwarf
To play, spot a Dwarf.
When you play Dwarf Guard, choose one: reinforce a Dwarven token, play a Dwarven possession from your discard pile, or make an opponent discard the top 2 cards of their draw deck.
1 V 7

1 Lórien Elf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
When you play Lórien Elf, choose one: reinforce an Elven token, take an Elven event from your discard pile into hand, or draw 2 cards.
1 V 53

Interesting in that they encourage NOT playing them in the starting fellowship. Major props for that.

Hmmm...tougher choice than I initially thought this would be. But I vote for:

Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:44 pm
Thanks for voting, DI. GP Sorry you missed the deadline, but such things will happen occasionally if you keep up your habit! I know because I do exactly the same Wink

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

NBarden
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:22 pm

I think the point of 1, Dain, was to throw them out as fodder.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Shieldmaiden
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:11 am
Joined: 07 May 2007 Posts: 389 Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
I liked:

Really good round! Very Happy
Trade With Me, I went to Middle Earth, and all I got was this stupid ring!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:01 am
Shieldmaiden wrote:
Really good round! Very Happy

Close as well. You should have entered, but thanks for voting even though you didn’t have to! Very Happy

Everyone else, remember the next round will begin Saturday night so get in your votes before then!

I still need:

AC
Anvar
LK
EL

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards