LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Hobbiton Lad
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:14 am
I think this card is probably better off as an event. The benefit you get from exerting companions is somewhat offset by the fact that you have to hold this the card in your hand, rather than having the luxury of playing it as a condition.

The real crux of any good weather strategy, IMHO, is going to be A Fell Voice on the Air. This condition is going to allow you to use Saruman to recycle your weather conditions.

Yes, these strategies might seem a bit strong. But any sort of condition removal is going to completely hose it. And last time I checked, most fellowship run some method of condition removal. So it’s give and take in my opinion.

I’ll vote later this afternoon.
Last edited by Hobbiton Lad on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:28 am
Hey HL, you might want to edit your post, i know its sometimes tempting to defend your card but its supposed to be anonymous so highlighting a feature such as your are doing about ur entry kinda ruins that! Razz

Most people wont have seen it so quickly!! Very Happy
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:43 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
Just a point: in this round, I encouraged high power levels on that basis that weather strategies are so terrible already.

I know I designed mine from that point of view. And as HL said, condition discarding trashes weather stuff.

I’ll vote later, BTW. Gotta think on these some more first.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:52 am
Im sure just cos there are cards out there that discard conditions doesnt mean you can create broken conditions "just in case" someone has a seclusion or two in their deck or every condition would be OP!

Say you DONT face elves or gandalf say u face gondor or hobbits. Theyre screwed with 75% of those cards!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:59 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Hobbiton Lad
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:02 pm
Thranduil
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:13 am
Sorry, I should have said the voting ends on Monday 25th, so if you don’t want a PM from me reminding you to do so, I suggest you vote before the end of Sunday! Very Happy

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:36 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Anvar
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:05 pm
Having actually built and played a Weather deck, I think it has a few issues. The deck really relies on having Saruman to exert and play the Weather cards. There aren’t any other minions that really work well with the Weather theme (Uruk Messenger may get stronger but he can’t exert to play any of the cards - and they all require exertions). Another issue is that all decent Weather conditions (discounting Urgency which is rubbish) are discarded at the end of the turn, and most reasonable Weather cards are actually the Weather events (the decent conditions are Wizard Storm and Saruman’s Snows which is X-listed). Finally, most Weather cards are incredibly situational and can be very hard to cycle.

#1 Hand clog. Doesn’t deliver a killing blow, and would get stuck in your hand while you try to find some decent conditions to play in the same turn.

#2 Like the tie-in with mountains but this really needed to be a weather card itself so that it could combo if you get more than one card in hand. Would this make Weather decks viable? Not really, just allow you to actually win a fight or two.

1 No Ordinary Storm (V) Isengard
Condition
Weather
To play, spot Saruman (or 2 weather cards.) Plays on a site.
When the fellowship moves from this site, you may discard this condition to wound each unbound companion.
"So Gandalf...you try to lead them over caradhras, and if that fails--where will you go?"
1 V 130

Makes a deadly combo with Wizard Storm. I like the fact that it doesn’t need a minion to play, though without Urgency it effectively does. Very powerful but perhaps too much of a step above Wizard storm.

Condition
Plays to your support area.
Skirmish: Exert an Isengard minion to make a companion (except the Ring-bearer) strength -1 for each weather condition you can spot.
"So Gandalf... you try to lead them over Caradhras. And if that fails, where then will you go?"
1 V 130

There is only one Weather card that sticks around, and all cards require exertions to play. I love this card and it would make Weather decks much more powerful, giving some power to each card you play.

Too high a cost for not enough benefit. Once you exert Saruman twice, how many other weather cards will you be able to play? And will the FP player really bother playing cards? Most of the time he can just beat Saruman straight up.

Good combo of playability and smoothing deck cycling.

Condition
Spell. Weather. To play, exert an Isengard minion (or spot Saruman). Plays to your support area.
When you play this condition, spot a race. Each time you play another weather card, you may exert a companion or ally of that race.
“‘He does not love Elves and Dwarves, and that drift was laid to cut off our escape.’”
1 V 130

My only worry with this card is memory, keeping track of which race you have chosen. Once you play multiple copies that could get quite confusing. On the other hand this is a sensible clean up of the original, following the same basic idea with much more versatile power.

Condition
Weather.
Each time you play another weather card, you may exert an Isengard Wizard (or spot 2 Isengard Wizards) to make the Free Peoples player exert a companion.
"’So Gandalf... you try to lead them over Caradhras. And if that fails - where then will you go?’"
1 V 130

Requiring exertions of Wizards is a steep cost which balances this card out. I like the fact that you can get the benefit of multiple Shadow wizards, though in practice, the conditions will rarely be minions while you are actually playing Weather cards.

The only decent Weather condition is Wizard Storm, and it’s the one you don’t want to discard in the regroup phase. It gives some use to otherwise useless cards like Saruman’s Chill but I don’t think it gives enough.

Condition
Shadow: Play a weather condition to place an Isengard token on this card.
Maneuver: Transfer this condition from your support area to the fellowship’s current site. When the fellowship moves from this site, the Free Peoples player must exert a companion for each token here.
"’So Gandalf... you try to lead the over Caradhras. And if that fails - where then will you go?’"
1 V 130

Nice balance of power and old school playing on a site mechanics. I actually don’t think this card is powerful enough. It just acts as a late game Wizard Storm. Sometimes more sometimes less, but Weather already does this.

#11 Too much text makes this very hard to follow. In the end, it might prevent a deck double moving but doesn’t add that much in terms of versatility.

Condition
Shadow: Exert a minion to play a weather card stacked here as if from hand.
Shadow: Remove 1 to stack a weather card from hand here.
Regroup: Spot X cards stacked here to take X Isengard cards into hand from your discard pile (limit 3). Discard this condition.
"It’s Saruman!"
1 V 130[/quote]

Good solution to hand clog, though an exertion is a huge cost in a weather deck. It adds cycling but not much more in the way of power. Still, I like the card. I’d like it better if it was a Weather card, and if the first cost was exert a minion or spot saruman.

So, votes are:
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:00 pm
1) #4
2) #6
3) #2

I’ve sent a PM to contestants who have yet to vote as well. Remember voting deadline’s tomorrow.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards