LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
Hobbiton Lad
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:04 am
LOTRTCG used to have a massive following here in my area, but due to Decipher’s handling of the game (particularly the X-List and set rotation) people lost interest. They did not want to buy new cards and be faced with the prospect of being unable to use the cards they already owned. So, the original buzz that surrounded the game eventually died down and the game pretty much died a horrible death.

In talking with some people around here, I’ve heard the sentiment expressed on more than one occasion that people are interested in potentially playing again, but they don’t want to have to learn all the new cards and/or buy them.

Looking back on the experience with the rules and how the game evolved, I thought it might be worth seeing if a reboot would have any success. When I say reboot, I was thinking of designing a completely new "initial" set under the current rules structures (with a couple tweaks here and there) and releasing the cards online so that players could print them out and play with them for free. Of course, I’d have to get my hands on the culture templates, but it seems like a few people have access to those around here so that’s the easy part.

The hard part, however, is designing a balanced and competitive set of cards. I was hoping that’s where the community here might be of help.

Again, I should reiterate, this is an experiment I would like to try on a local level. I don’t want to do it for profit or gain, just to see some new life injected into a game that I think still has the potential for a following. So, if anyone would be willing to send some templates my way, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I’d love to get some feedback from the community on this idea.
NBarden
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:29 am
Okay... D would throw a fit.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Thranduil
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:11 pm
This is the sort of thing Decipher should have done after RotK finished. There should have been a LotR 2nd Edition with new Shadows sites (and maybe Shadow cultures if they were dead set on having them), streamlining old cards and mechanics and shaping a new format for the game.

It’s an ambitious project, but I’d be happy to be part of design/development. I don’t have access to the pictures though, you’ll have to find someone else to do that.

Oh, and it would be technically illegal and breaching copyright. On the other hand, I’m not sure Decipher actually cares much about it at the moment while it’s rejigging its website.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:41 am
Is it possible to load dream card sets on SdA? Just text, no graphics. I’m picturing sets being released as modules that can be swapped in and out, with checks to make sure both players have the relevant sets / set version, and downloading them if not. If SdA isn’t capable of this currently (haven’t used it myself), then maybe one of us can program a launcher that can communicate with it.

Benefits:

- These sets can be used online, of course! Online play seems to be keeping this game alive, and CC has an active dream card community. Merging the two ought to give it a boost.

- Easy to issue errata. Each set would have a version number, and the launcher would make sure both players have the same version / latest version.

- Being able to trade sets and play without waiting for "official" approval. Popular sets can be stored on a central server for the launcher to access, but you can just cook up your own, send it to your victim, and you’re ready to go.

So is this all a pipe dream? Razz
Kralik
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:58 am
Elessar’s Socks wrote:
Is it possible to load dream card sets on SdA? Just text, no graphics. I’m picturing sets being released as modules that can be swapped in and out, with checks to make sure both players have the relevant sets / set version, and downloading them if not. If SdA isn’t capable of this currently (haven’t used it myself), then maybe one of us can program a launcher that can communicate with it.

I don’t think so. You can change the set numbers of cards in the data file, but those numbers correspond to set names (Fellowship, Mines, etc.) which are essentially pre-programmed in. I asked this question a while ago to see if it was possible to nix the Great Eye and Shelob’s Lair sets. Negative.

On the other hand, Lackey was designed to provide an interface for people who want to make their own CCG’s. By and large, the majority of activity on Lackey’s forums relates to people designing their own games from scratch. You can switch out games or plugins on the fly. If you wanted to add game mechanics besides those available in SdA, Lackey would be the way to go.

Both programs support text cards without images.
kingmj4891
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:46 pm
im game for this i think errating and virtual cards is the way to go, basically take cards nobody uses/ broken/ that plain suck and give them new game text. In SDA we could just add these as a new set in the Age’s End section cause nothing is there and have it like another set, it would be older cards alreayd made nothing new so really we are just playing with the cards they way we want them to be, if you use it cool if not no harm....maybe we can get someone to head this project..... I will be willing to offer my support but I can not commit to doing it by myself........

Quote:

Oh, and it would be technically illegal and breaching copyright.

Really you think so, I beleive I purchased my cards, (I don’t know about anyone else I own pretty much every card in the game), and since they are my property I can play with them anyway i choose, regardless of whats printed on them, as long as I am not using deciphers templates and new lines images to make dream cards and printing them out/uploading them, I am good and legal. Besides we are talking about a small player group not the whole world. I think that if a few people get together and use some cards that already exist but use their own gametext nothing is illeagal. If you want to be legal people then why use lackey and SDA....
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:41 pm
We can use the winners of each round from my Virtual DC contest as a starting point!

Mr. Green

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Hobbiton Lad
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:44 pm
It would be worth looking at each card of Fellowship Block, I think. Some are fine as is, but others would need some minor adjustments, like...

1 Goblin Runner Moria

Minion - Orc

When you play this minion, you may spot another Moria minion to add 2.

5/1/4

It still makes the Runner really good, but gives it a bit of cultural enforcement. That’s just an idea, though. We can look at all the cards one by one as a group.
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:09 pm
I think revising/X’ing should be limited to overpowered/broken cards, with everything else remaining as is. Even the completely useless ones like Lightfootedness and Frenzy of Arrows. My reasoning is we can simply create new cards to fill in those niches (e.g. Storm of Arrows) while minimizing the risk of alienating players who like to keep their cards as they are--especially given the lack of Decipher’s official blessing and an arbitrarily large card pool anyway.
Pippin
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:07 pm
Why did Decipher drop LOTR TCG anyway? From what I’ve heard it was still strong. Or was it RoS and the other last sets doing poorly?
as Pipeweed once said: weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeClick Here Please!
Cobra Cards: Dying body filled with thriving cells.
My have's and wantsPopcornMy trade refrences

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion