LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
33%
  [ 4 ]  33%

41%
  [ 5 ]  41%

16%
  [ 2 ]  16%

8%
  [ 1 ]  8%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 12
Hinigurth
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:04 am
--- description ---
A Hobbit/Resistance Uruk-Hai deck.
--- end description ---

This is a competitive deck for beginners, or for players who had stopped to play for some reason and intend to come back to play with one easy, but powerful, deck.

We all know that the lack of competitiveness of beginner’s decks is the biggest reason for these players to abandon the game, so I made a deck easy to build with the cards you have at hand, and competitive with a few rare cards.

It is hard for either beginners and veterans to see that. The beginner sees the veteran’s deck full of rare cards and, therefore, impossible to be beaten by a newbie’s deck. Most of them don’t want to spend big amounts of cash buying some card game that even they don’t know if they’ll keep on playing, and they quit the game. Veterans, on the other hand, don’t notice how powerful can be the right combination of common and uncommon cards, paying attention just for the rare ones.

But this game is a democratic one, where veterans with rare cards and beginners with common cards can play competitively, and this article was written for both of them.

Now, let’s discuss my choices:

Why use hobbits as Free Peoples?

The rare cards essential for a hobbit deck are easy to obtain; easier than the rare cards for a dwarf, elf or Gondor deck. Besides that, a hobbit’s start deck is extremely strong, specially when you establish your game on the board.

Why to use a Resistence Uruk Hais as Shadow?

The Uruks are the most underestimated minions of the game, hardly used by most players, and therefore it has a forgotten destructive potential, unknown by the great multitude of players. Since it is hardly seen in game, it’s also a way to surprise the opponent.

Let’s take a look at a good start deck:

Ring-bearer and One Ring
Frodo, Resolute Hobbit 10P121
The One Ring, Such a Weight To Carry 7R2

Adventure Deck
(0) The Great Gates
(1) Hill Of Sight
(1) Rohan Uplands
(2) Caras Galadhon
(2) Helm’s Gate
(2) Hobbiton Market
(3) Trollshaw Forest
(3) Valley of the Silverlode
(3) Green Dragon Inn

Free Peoples (39)
1 Sam, Great Elf Warrior 10P122 (Starting)
1 Merry, Loyal Companion 11C168(Starting)
1 Farmer Maggot, Hobbit of the Marish 11U163(Starting)
1 Tolman Cotton, Farmer of Bywater 12S133
4 Gandalf, leader of the Company 11S33
1 Bilbo, Melancoly Hobbit 12R119
1 Pippin, Brave Decoy 11R170
1 Sting, Weapon of Heritage 11R173
4 A Promise 12R128
1 Humble Homestead 13R152
4 G for Grand 11S32
3 Sworn Companion 11S174
4 Hobbit Sword 11S166
3 Chance Observation 10C106
2 The More, The Merrier 11C169
1 Simple Living 12U130
3 Sudden Fury 12U132
2 Fates Entwine 13U148
1 Daddy Twofoot, Next Door Neightbor13U144

Shadow(39)
2 Uruk Zealot 12R155
2 Uruk Blitz 13R169
4 Saruman, Agent of The Drak Lord 12S144
3 Uruk desecrator 12S151
3Squad of uruk-hai 11C202
3 Uruk Dominator 12S152
2 Patrol Of uruk-Hai 11C198
2 Suppressing Uruk 12U147
2 Uruk OutRider 13C172
4 Our Foes Are Weak 11C196
2 Single in a Storm 12C145
2 tempest of War 12U148
1 Pallando Deceived 13U79
1 Fortitude 11U185
1 Fearless Approach 13C164
2 Berserker Torch 12U136
2 Isengard Sword 11C192
1 Isengard Siege Bow 11U191

Strategy:

Free Peoples:

The Strategy of this deck is to bet one burden take the lead of the game (bet just one burden, so that the use of the Sworn Companion at the beginning of the game isn’t harmed). Even if there are many decks with the Alternate Ring-Bearer nowadays, this should be enough to start the game.
If you start, use the Green Dragon Inn site to play the Bilbo of your Deck, and go setting conditions to fortify your hobbits. With the 4 Gandalfs that you have in your deck, you have 40% of possibility to put on the game it the first fellowship face and with this leave each another companion is +2 of force at the beginning of the game.

At the beginning of the game walks only the necessary and the possible while you will be seting the Free Peoples for the game, of this way you diminishes the possibilities to lose companions without necessity.

With Gandalf in game when conditions “G for Grand” were placed in game all the companios, with exception of Sam, will be up to +4 of Force. A Promise will also leave Frodo and Sam up to +4, and besides that Sam is +1 of force for each hobbit sighted, making of this form with altth the hobbits become extremely strong in a skirmish.

There are also some conditions that function after each victory or defeat of hobbits in a skirmish. To each defeat hobbit in a skirmish you can place one shire token in each Sudden Fury in game, and to each victory of a hobbit you can heal one hobbit, or one hobbit two times if that victorious hobbit is Bilbo or Frodo for each Fates Entwine that you have in game. Of this form you can decide which skirmishs you can lose, and which you must win of form to load its Sudden Fury, and to leave the biggest number of Hobbits unwounded in game.

Moreover, there are some events that can take burdens off and they increase the force of hobbits in skirmishs, and you can bring them in return with Bilbo as its necessity.

Shadow:

Our Foes Are Weak is the card of this deck. With these card you will be able to change thecion resistance in -3, and the force in -1. The first Our Foes Are Weak must be play in preference in some main companion of the opponent deck, and is always useful to spot one companion with resistance 3 or less.

Although the Uruks have a high shadow cost, you must consider that it also has a good benefit cost, because they are strong minions with abilities to diminish the resistance of companions or gains some type of bonus as the companions resistance diminishes.

To get even better, to help the Uruks performance we have their leader in deck, Saruman, that one that can leave a Uruk +6 of strength, or +8 if he is using the Isengard Siege Bow, what it makes a lot easier to kill the companions of your opponent.

Against big Free Peoples decks we have Single in the Storm that leaves all minions of Uruk damage +1, and that it can be discarded to assign a Minion for one companion of resistance 2 or less.

To use against conditions in suport area, and other conditions we have Tempest of War and Fearless Approach, while the first one discards all the conditions of suport area, the other lets the shadow choose which condition to discard each time that the Free Peoples Player play the next site.

Pallando Deceived is an excellent card against decks that use the Radagast as much as Gandalf, because you can exert them to have a Minion 10 of strength and Fierce.

E now the tip that will make with that many companions die in the same site. Hold in hand the Uruk Zealots, and the Uruk Blitz to play ins a site where you can get biggest possible number of Minions (of preference uses the site Hill Of Sight and makes each unbond companion resistance -2), with this its very probably that many companions will be with resistance 0, and with this the Zealot will make them -3 of force. This strategy can beat most of the decks used by others players.

E paraphrasing the Legolas when it saw the Balrog, its opponent will say "- Ai! Ai! The Uruk-Hai! ".

Have fun! Even if you don’t have all the cards that I have show you above, with time you will have all the cards you ned, but don’t stop playing, the more you play, more you will learn how to use it, and this also can be said about any other deck that you choose to play. Don’t forget: don’t wait till you have all the cards to start to playing. Just play and have fun!

Have fun!
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:37 pm
Good article. Next time try to shorten it a bit and get to the point quicker.
I had to put something here.
ingold55
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:02 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
i like the article, but Anonymous Prodigy is right. it is kind of long, and i got bored by the begining of the shadow side. it was good though! Smile
There is a power in this world beyond any of us, and Jesus is that power and The Savior.

Cool this is my attempt to look cool.
Trade list (Want Balrogs and Aragorns)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:35 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
your spelling and grammar aren’t that good but otherwise a good article I will give you a 4
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:43 am
A splendid article. I just have some minor, sort-of unavoidable, nit-pickiness problems. Just it needs....tidying up. Otherwise the point was made. Good job.

(4) from tOO!
donimator
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:29 am
Good description of the proposed deck with a well-supported strategy. You met the intent of your article perfectly and passed on the information in an easy-to-understand manner. For a starting player, it is a deck that shows the possibilities of card support across several cultures and is a stepping stone to advanced play. Good job.

This not being an english class, Wink I did not find any grammatical inconsistencies detracted from the message. Good article!
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A really good friend will be sitting beside you saying, "Man, we screwed up!"
Finlans
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:12 am
I gave the article 3 stars. Although the idea is good, I think the proposed deck is just too large to be effective. Shame on you

What will you do if you only draw uruk minions on sites 1-4 and your opponent plays choke? With a deck like this you will get stuck with those minions and will never be able to draw the FP conditions you need to survive. Sad

I would either HEAVILY increase shadow cycling ability (strange device is a very good card with uruks) or drop the deck size to maximum of 33 cards/side.

But cheers for a good effort, keep it up!!
bobtheorc
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:36 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
I enjoyed the article.
As donimator said this is not a grammar class. We in the US cannot expect everyone else to write our langauge perfectly. I have always been a huge Uruk-hai fan and cannot express how much I am disapointed that decipher has made the Uruk culture so bad compared to the old Isengard uruks.
Any way you get a 5 from this orc. Wink
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:35 pm
bobtheorc wrote:
I have always been a huge Uruk-hai fan and cannot express how much I am disapointed that decipher has made the Uruk culture so bad compared to the old Isengard uruks.

I agree 100%. I was expecting the Uruk-hai culture to kick the socks off of Isengard, but I was greatly disappointed. Isengard Uruks are a tried and true method of winning the game, hands down.
I had to put something here.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:26 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
bobtheorc wrote:
I enjoyed the article.
As donimator said this is not a grammar class. We in the US cannot expect everyone else to write our langauge perfectly.

we can’t even write our language perfectly Very Happy Very Happy
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest