LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
josiah_of_rohan
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:44 pm
Joined: 13 Aug 2005 Posts: 723 Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
Freeps-39
(i know it seems large but i always run out of my deck)

Frodo, 12 Resistance one
One ring, SaWtC

companions-6
Gandalf, LotC (starting)
Eomer, TMoR
Theoden, TaP (hes shiny thats W i have this one)
Radagast, TB
Sam,SF x2

Posessions/artifacts-18
Glamdring, FH
Naria
Gandalfs Staff, AS
Herugrim, SotM
Rohirrm Javelin x2
Flaming Brand x2
Coif x2
Rohirrim Helm x2
Rohirrim Mount
Eomers Spear
Firefoot
Wizard Staff
Hobit sword x2

Conditions/Events-14
Simbelmyne x4
AWiNL x2
A Promise x4
G for Grand x4

Shadow-39
Minions- 24
Goblin Scrabbler x2
" Backstabberx4
" Runner x4
" Archer x2
" Wallcrawler x4
" Scavengers x4
Moria Scount x4
Host of Moria

Posessions-4
Goblin scimitar x4

Events/Conditions-10
Goblin swarms x4
" Armories x4
Host of thousands x2

Freeps strat
its bascally just pull out everything asap and beat down minons as they come out in the end eomer is 15+, Theoden is 17+, Gandalf is 13+ and the others can take a beating.

Minion strat
basic swarm
my trade ist is here http://trade.mahasamatman.com/Rings/list_show.pl?user=keltnerj
josiah_of_rohan
Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:45 pm
since no one is posting ways to improve my deck im gona guess its better than i thought
(oh yea BUMP)
my trade ist is here http://trade.mahasamatman.com/Rings/list_show.pl?user=keltnerj
hblika
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:01 am
I think you need more burden removal for your fellowship. Allthough Sam will help you slightly, your opponent will only need 2 burdens to nullify the G for Grand effect for Eomer and Theoden.

Also, Flaming Brand is restricted in expanded format, so you need to take out one in order to make your deck legal. And while you're at it, remove the second Flaming Brand as well, and add 2 Watch and Wait instead.

For you shadow side, I think 4 Goblin Swarms are a bit too much. I'd rather replace a copy or two with more Host of Thousands. I'm also missing some stopping power. Try to fit in a couple of more Host of Moria's or Cave Troll's (or even a Balrog or 2)
I'm not stupid. I'm just unlucky when I'm thinking.
josiah_of_rohan
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:16 pm
ok right now this is just a fun deck so i prolly wont worry untill i make time to go to a tourny
the burden removal can be helped with naria
the stopping power of my shadow side speaks for itself. the reason you call it a swarm deck is you play as many small minions as possible and use the backstabbers to kill companions withe damage bonuses
i tried the balrog/cave troll method and i just ended up withmuch the same effect as befor but with less minions and more twilight tokens used

but thanks for the idea of whatch and wait i believe i have one and that would definitly make burden removal easyer

~Josiah
hblika
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:48 pm
josiah_of_rohan wrote:
the reason you call it a swarm deck is you play as many small minions as possible and use the backstabbers to kill companions withe damage bonuses

So, you seriously believe your swarm will mae it through *every* time??

Your armories are easily dealt with by a lot of fellowship sides, and archery in expanded format will give you a run for it's power as well (remember Splendor of THeir Banners?).

But, as you said, if you're only playing it for fun, you really don't need a shadow side prepared to face more than one type of fellowship. As long as you don't play against fellowships with heavy archery/wounding, or massive condition removal, you'll be fine Smile
josiah_of_rohan
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:07 pm
archery decks in the past have proven difficult but since then i have added some certain cards to help
Goblin archer makes the fellowship archery total -6 so both of those pluss the wallcrawlers ='s -16 archery
the scrabblers can easily take care of splendor, tale of gil, elven marksmanship or any other problematic conditions
im sorry if i come across as being cocky, i dont mean to be, its just that my minion deck has more than proven itself against any fellowship deck i have ever been up against
i know it isnt perfect (every deck has a weakness) im just gonna tell you now archery isnt it
i would however like to discover what the weakness is so i can attempt correct it (i may be able to) but the attempt is what counts.

Thanks for the discussion (i love to talk to people)

~Josiah
Cobra
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:14 am
I think Josiah's Shadow is quite well-protected against *mass* archery -- The FP needs 8 arrows just to satisfy the Goblin Archer (prevent 6, absorb 2), and then a few more to cover the various Wallcrawlers and Scouts, before you have to kill any minions. Obviously you won't have an Archer every turn, but you can have one pretty often with the Host of Moria and Host of Thousands. (Personally I would add They Are Coming too, nothing more annoying than FP cards in hand when you're trying to end the game with a swarm.)

The real problem as far as archery goes is directed wounding with Greenleaf, Aragorn's Bow, etc. Not much way around that though, short of playing "Black Traitor" moria with Spies of Saruman to skip the archery phase completely.

Mass condition removal is also a problem, but I can't think of a way around that at all, it's just one of those risks you take when playing a deck like this. Smile
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
hblika
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:01 am
I sort of agree, but spending 12 twilight on a Host of Moria and a Goblin archer, would in most cases be the difference between an overwhelming swarm and just an annoying "swarm". Wasting Host of Thousands on a Goblin Archer won't do too much good for the swarm either.
josiah_of_rohan
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:05 pm
thats why i have so many goblin swarms in this
i can get them out early so i can stack the minions that win (i.e. Archer)
the biggest thing that i have fun with in this deck i just playing an eccesive amount of minons for next to no twilight Twisted Evil
but yes that is a very definite weakness (thanks for pointing it out) directed archer is going to be one of the things that really mess with me

~Josiah
Cobra
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:02 pm
How in the world do you get Goblin Archers to win skirmishes? Smile
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded