LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

57%
  [ 4 ]  57%

14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

28%
  [ 2 ]  28%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 7
Arbitrary
Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:40 pm
Don’t forget Govern the Guildless’s normal ability. You know, the one that gains control of monocolored creatures?

Got jumped by this card from a rogue creation last week at regionals. Took my Meloku when I tapped out. d'oh!
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:36 pm
But six mana for stealing a creature shouldn’t exactly be a main point of your deck...
The First
Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:46 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
La_Sin_Grail wrote:
But six mana for stealing a creature shouldn’t exactly be a main point of your deck...

It isn’t the main point of his deck. However, this gametext is very useful against Kamigawa finishers (read Dragons and Meloku). 6 mana = same as confiscate, only that you can’t destroy it like confiscate to regain control of your creature. If you can spare 8 mana, this card is ridiculous in a not overpowered way but close (considering that I often pay 10 mana to get a Firemane Angel back in my WurCo).
The First
Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:01 pm
I don’t really get some of the card choices.

Why Mistral Charger or Simic Ragworm in the sideboard or the Watchwolf while there are so many better options. Assault Zeppelid to name one. It has evasion (flying) and trample to get damage through.

Might and Blessing will give it +4/+4 or +2/+2 w/o changing the colors and +10/+10 and +5/+5 with changing the colors. Imagine a flying 13/13 trampler while a single 1/1 flyer (Meloku & Pride of the Clouds for consistent token machines) could reduce all damage to 0 and maybe take out the Mistral Charger.

Even the Trygon Predator is more useful IMO. 3 vitality from the start, multicolored from the start and can kill enchantments and artefacts (signets, fetters, the Owl artefacts + enchantments, ...).
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:46 pm
Nonono... confiscate is far better. Confiscate gains control of target PERMANENT, not target MONO-COLORED CREATURE. There’s a huge difference between anything they have on the board and a sub class of one permanent type.
The First
Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:22 pm
La_Sin_Grail wrote:
Nonono... confiscate is far better. Confiscate gains control of target PERMANENT, not target MONO-COLORED CREATURE. There’s a huge difference between anything they have on the board and a sub class of one permanent type.

Yeah, I know that Confiscate says ’target permanent’ but that often translates into target creature. In my meta, players are also playing a lot more enchantment and artefact removal than before (before Fetters and signets were heavily played), so it seems that Govern The Guildless wouldn’t be that bad to steal creature in a more permanent way than Confiscate.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:01 pm
Hm... allright, I guess. I prefer to steal things like Glare with it, or have the option of mono creatures, but I have no clue about the metagame in Belgium.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:40 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I’m with Grail, here. Sure, Confiscate is easier to blow nowadays, since EVERYONE is playing artifacts and green, so artifact/enchantment killing is overflowing the sideboards, if nothing else. BUT, (there’s ALWAYS a "but", isn’t there?) see, Confiscate means you take ANYTHING that might be a glitch to their strategy, or a nice bomb to swing with. Also, if they DO destroy your Confiscate, then that means they DIDN’T destroy you Nephilim enchants. You may also think of building a green/white or green blue mana base, so you can speed up things a bit (and the mana fixing abilities will make sure you have White/Blue when you need to), using cards to topdeck/fetch Trasguild Courier. Chord of Calling, if you can be fast enough on the mana, is a great way. Also, since it IS all colors, you could just build a green/white manabase for WoG, as well as Supply(great blocking with lots of mana, should you need to)/Demand(fetch courier turn two, with Birds, and play him turn three, or after a Wrath). You could always add something to make him trample, and all. As for the blocking problem Grail pointed, you could use (’cause of deck speed) Phytohydra+Pariah’s Shield, and since you would be fixing blue sometimes, you could have some counters to make it stay alive. Also, if you can bear with the green/white manabase, fixing for blue when needed, you could add, for deck speed, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV (after all, one mana Mana Leaks would be quite nice, while 4 mana Putrefys somehow take away the greatness in it). Protean Hulks could be nice, too. Just some thoughts, though, wich would require A LOT of deck reviewing, so I’m not sure you’ll be very pleased...
I don't like YOU.
r2d2quino
Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:23 pm
Pretty disruptable build as it is...

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest