LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

60%
  [ 3 ]  60%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
The First
Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:05 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
Cobra wrote:
Grave Pact is nice, but what’s it have to do with protecting Rakdos? Rolling Eyes

Also, IMO the real problem isn’t that Rakdos might get killed, it’s that he might get killed during the combat phase -- after you’ve sacrificed half your board, but before Rakdos hits your opponent. Shielding Plax is definitely a good way to put a stop to that... Sure, they could Putrefy or Mortify him in response to the Plax being played, but that’s not during combat so it’s not a game-ending loss. You can always Time of Need for the other copy.

Some extra protection and/or ways to get Rakdos back would be nice, but what to take out? Maybe Psychotic Fury (seems like if Rakdos is hitting your opponent at all, you’ve already won)... but that combo is just so cool... Cool

It doesn’t have anything to do with protecting Rakdos, but it will help you to keep board control.

Yes, indeed. They can kill him during combat. With Grave Pact out, it doesn’t matter though. If they kill him when you attack and you sac your creatures, they will have to do the same. If they kill Rakdos, they also lose a creature.

Grave Pact will also make sure - or will help to do so - that Rakdos does his damage by removing possible blockers. With my option, if Rakdos hits, it is game over, while with your combo, they can keep their creatures and sac their lands.

Grave Pact is like an early version of Psychotic Fury, and one that remains in play.
Cobra
Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:11 am
Ah, I see what you’re getting at now. That’s a nice idea... Applause
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:39 pm
Um... yeah. I do like grave pact, but I’ve yet to see anybody who can show me a way to find the BBB it requires. Triple black is painfully hard to come by. I like the idea of pact killing their creatures, but I don’t think I have to worry about them blocking Rakdos and all of his damage. In the article about simic precon (Clestons I believe) I made a short list that included all standard creatures that can block a 6/6 and live. Same goes here; only one trample damage has to get through.

It’s honestly the next thing to impossible for me to have triple black in my first four mana, at which point pact ends up really taking about six mana.... and I’d rather play a Rakdos.
The First
Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:45 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
Let me help you: replace the Llanowar elves with elves of deep shadow and reach with Farseek. You have birds and the shocklands to make this happen. You can also try Utopia Sprawl (love that card, it could be a very good replacement for budget decks lacking birds).

Who said anything about live? Just block, soak all damage and maybe kill Rakdos is better than having to give up 1/2 of your permanents. Remember that you CAN block with more than 1 creature.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:26 pm
If anybody has seven power of flying creatures sitting around doing nothing on turn five (typical swing time), then I’m INCREDIBLY impressed. Like, that’s pretty much impossible kind of impressed.

I need reach because it gets TWO lands. I know the farseek may be good, but I’d need to play more mana acceleration, which seems like a waste to me. I need to basically find or produce four mana.

I do like the utopia spwarl idea... they may come in over furies. I like llanowars because people tend to try and kill me quickly, so giving myself pain seems a little bit silly.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:39 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Since the deck can generate black and green mana, and I assume that, once you get Rakdos off on the field you will save some accelerators and lands, you could think about Vigor Mortis, making Rakdos come back even bigger. Also, for ultimate field domination, you could add a combination of Life from the Loam and Summer Bloom (making it possible to quickly having mana on the field to get Rakdos back with a Vigor Mortis even if you have very little cards on the field), so YOU could use Wildfire (and since Rakdos would usually be coming back from the graveyard as an 8/7 creature, even a Shock played in resposnse to your Wildfire would’t be able to kill him). This would most definitely leave an opponent’s field wide open for a lot of pain! And since they would eventually have no mana, and you would be able to rebuild your field pretty quickly, it would be harder to Putrefy or Mortify Rakdos in response to playing the Shield Plax (even if this mean resisting the urge to pound with him for one turn).
Also, for a sideboard idea, I find 9th Edition’s Contaminated Bond to be more useful than Latest Gasp, since it keeps damaging your opponent for quite a bit of time, but it’s just an idea, I don’t know what you’d think about it.
Hey, if you guys can, I’m kind of a newbie, so check my posts to give me some ideas!
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:04 pm
I like your ideas, but once again, what should I cut?

As for removing last gasp, it’s one of my favorite and one of the best removal cards there is. I’d play gasp against agro, where they don’t care about taking damage, just forcing it. Bond won’t stop the watchwolf for hitting with lethal damage.

I think mortis may be good, but I’m not sure that the buff matters anyway?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:27 pm
)Maybe you could alter the concept of the deck a little, by replacing the 2 mountains and 2 swamps for 2 Rakdos Signets (cutting 2 cards), or replace 4 forests and the 2 swamps for 4 Llanowar Wastes (again, cutting 2 cards), or a combination fo the two: take out 4 forests, 2 swamps and 2 mountais, and add 2 Llanowar Wastes and 2 Gruul Signets (or 2 Gruul Turfs, but I don’t quite like these, since they tend to slow down the deck) for a 4-card cutting. Then, you could take out Ryusei, and maybe 2 Shield Plaxes (since Vigor Mortis would make sure you have Rakdos back on the field in no time!). Since you’ll be having lands on the field faster, you could also consider taking out one Seething Song, and I truly believe that, once a Plaxed Rakdos is on the field, you won’t need no doublestrike to win, so Psychotic Fury is also out. So far, it’s an 11-card cutting. This alone would allow for at least 3 Vigor Mortis (you don’t REALLY need the kicker, but if you can afford it, it can’t hurt to have a bigger Rakdos, right? Oh, actually, it can... your opponent! Wink ), 3 Life From the Loam, 3 Summer Bloom and 2 Wildfire. From this ideia, you can sort out different proportions, but maybe taking out one more Wood Elves and one Kodama’s Reach might give you better possibilities. Just take a look, and tell me what you think. Hope I could help. Oh, and I gave you a 4 in Review, I really liked that Rakdos Guy! (Dissenssion is late here in Brazil due to problems with Devir, the company that distributes Magic here).
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:37 pm
Not to be rude, but signets can’t possibly replace the basics- I need to kodama’s reach for them to find them. I’d have to find both Rakdos signets, and finding signets is FAR harder than finding basics.

As for wildfire, I worry about synergy with the llanowars, bops, and elves? Also, I have Rakdos as a win condition- he should be clearing the board alone. The point isn’t to swing for a lot in the air-it’s to kill their board and swing through the air in one fell swoop Smile

Ryusei is grat against agro- he’s the best way I’ve seen to beat them without hurting yourself. I can spare my own birds etc, that way and leave a large land base.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:24 pm
Well, I’ll believe you agreed with most of the rest of my ideas. Why not Wildfire? Why Ryusei? As far as I’m concerned, they both torch your elves. And, if the need is to ultimate destruction agains aggros, maybe leaving Ryusei (since it’s legendary, I didn’t quite noticed that Embarassed ) and adding a Plague Boiler. And since Wildfire would be out, then maybe taking out a Life from the Loam and a Summer Bloom (leaving 2 of each) and adding another Vigor Mortis and a Plague Boiler, or some combination of those. Also, you could think abou checking out my idea of using Moonlight Bargain to speed things up a bit, and emulate Odissey’s (althoug it was printed before I refer to Odissey ’cause it’s more recent) Buried Alive, to combo with the Vigor Mortis.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest