LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

60%
  [ 3 ]  60%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:01 pm
A few things.

Wildfires= Ryusei EXCEPT:

1) Wildfires hits flyers
2) Wildfires hits lands

Hitting flyers kills my birds, making it harder to get Rakdos out.

Hitting lands makes it just about impossible to get Rakdos out.

It seems to me that if I use fires, I lose the raw Rakdos demon boy style of the deck.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:52 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Point taken! Very Happy How about the other suggestions, thoug? Any good? I posted a nice one to your hellbent deck, but I’m rather interested in making THIS bad boy more playable, I liked Rakdos a lot!
I don't like YOU.
Arbitrary
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:09 pm
Grave Pact is a very nice idea, methinks.

If you complain about the triple black, and then write in your matchups like you can get turn-4 rakdos a good portion of the time, then... I don’t know what to tell you. Seriously though, 3RRBB is pretty hard to come by. I see your green manabase and I raise you infinity aggro decks that would trample over your hard-worked prep. I think you know as well as I that turn 4 is a climax point for zoo and even sometimes orzhov. A rakdos that needs at least one more turn to be shielding plaxed isn’t going to cut it against a Kird Ape that’s been swinging since turn 1.

You seem like a decent player though Grail, are you heading off to Champs/Regionals/Praque or what?
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:09 pm
Have you tested it out as I wrote it? Try it again, as I made it except +3 Utopia Spawl, -3 Psychotic Fury. I think you’ll be happily surprised. Add in signets if you so choose, but remember that you need to play Rakdos turn four. So whatever you do before then, try to grab two black and two red.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:11 pm
I worry about Triple black for two reasons.

1) I HAVE to play Rakdos turn four

2) I’m finding two black and two red already. How much more color intensive can I get? It already can just barely find enough.

P.S. This isn’t intended to bust any formats. It’s supposed to be fun and creative. And BTW, I see your lots of little ground creatures and raise you a ryusei that kills them all.

Yes, I’m going to regionals, and I’m playing a mix of Gruul beats with Zoo. Should be fun, I expect to go about 5-3.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:55 pm
Since you’re already using Utopia Sprawl as a one-mana generator, why not switch Llanowars with Utopia Trees? Sure they coste one more mana, but since you’re probably Birding os Sprawling during turn one, if you can’t do it twice at turn two, Utopias are better to play than Llanowars. They ARE slower, but that would solve the triple black issue and make it possible to play Gravepact at turn 3. Goryo’s Vengeance, if combined with more copies of Rakdos (which would be slightly faster and cheaper than my Vigor Mortis idea) is also a great board controller, since you could easily get another copy of Rakdos (which WOULDN’T be removed from the game) seraching your library for him. I think it’s worth a try.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:02 pm
Utopias are not nearly as good as llanowars. Llanowars can kill things like dark confidants, savannah lions, and rusulkas if the need arises, and I’d rather play a one mana cost accelerator than a two.

You said why not yourself- they are slower. The point of this deck is to get a Rakdos out fast and wreck their board. Slower isn’t condusive to that goal.

I think vengeance would fall under the same category as fury; it’s really a win more card. I should have already won by that point. but I guess if they kill spell him... I’ll think about the vengeance. And by think I mean try out.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:06 pm
I think Goryo’s Vengeance is really necessary. After all, picturing a 3-leg match, if you DO win leg 1 your opponents will know how to stop (or try) your deck, and that is: not letting Rakdos come in play. If that happens, you’ll have a lot of trouble with all the Mortifys, Putrefys, Chars and Mana Leaks around, so I think it should at least be sideboarded. Isn’t there some cheap/quick ways of putting Rakdos in your graveyard? At least one copy? ’cause THAT would help a lot on gaining speed...
Also, if you DO have to kill Savannah Lions (and by that I mean that blocking him or taking the pain for one or two turns until Rakdos is out), then you have your sideboarded Jitte’s, right? I still think that, if this will let you play a Gravepact by turn three and a Rakdos by turn four, clearing the board of creatures by sacrificing your generators (since you won’t be needing them if you add Goryo’s Vengeance) at turn five, tops, I think you could take the pain, sacrificing one or two generators, if absolutely necessary for surviving one more turn... But it’s as I said: IF you REALLY want to use Gravepact, there is.
Last edited by Felipe Musco on Mon May 22, 2006 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in totalI don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:10 pm
Well the thing is- there isn’t much that can kill a Rakdos except mortify and putrefy, without using combinations of burn/minus spells. Perhaps I should bring in vengeance for game 2/3, but once again this is intended to be a fun deck, not a tournament one.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:12 pm
I understand that it’s supposed to be fun (that IS the point of Magic after all, isn’t it?), but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be made tournament-possible... (but I DO recognize, though, that it’s a long shot) If you switch Llanowars with Elves of Deep Shadow, and with the Birds and Utopia Sprawl, you WILL be able to play a Gravepact at turn three, if you have one, AND more easily play a Rakdos at turn four. Adding more copies or Rakdos, and combining it with Goryo’s Vengeance, or just adding Vigor Mortis (and MAYBE Life from the Loam and Summer Bloom), I believe this deck could be a match for even agro.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest