LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

50%
  [ 5 ]  50%

40%
  [ 4 ]  40%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 10
ingold55
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:22 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
--- description ---
When Lord of the Rings cards first came out, the Balrog was mostly used to kill one or two companions, or to at least heavily wound a few. Now the Balrog can do more than just wound; he can also corrupt.
--- end description ---

(Please pardon the fact that shadow sites are not used in this article. Given that I do not have any shadow sites to refer to, the Fellowship of the Ring sites are used instead of the Shadow sites.)

“Indeed I saw upon the bridge that which haunts our darkest dreams…”

When Lord of the Rings cards first came out, the Balrog was mostly used to kill one or two companions, or to at least heavily wound a few. Now the Balrog can do more than just wound, he can also corrupt.

Using the right Balrog is a vital tool in the corruption process.
There are four Balrogs which I want to briefly look over.

1. The Balrog, Durin’s Bane
2. The Balrog Flame of Udun
3. The Balrog Terror of Khazad-dum
4. The Balrog Terror of Flame and Shadow

The Balrog, Durin’s Bane: A wonderful choice since he can skip the archery phase while under ground, and if played at The Bridge of Khazad-Dum, he is a mere 6 twilight, that twilight cost is covered by the shadow number. Then take the twilight from the few companions in play, and pay the cost of the possessions needed for the Balrog. The fact that Balrog can’t have any other minions out while he is in play is not a problem because there is no need for the extra minions. The main set back on this Balrog is that he can only be used at under ground sites. The Balrog Durin’s Bane is going to be used for his fierce ability.

The Balrog Flame of Udun: Unfortunately, you have to have a Moria orc out to be able to play him, and also this Balrog has to be played at an underground site. He too should be played at The Bridge of Khazad-Dum, so his twilight cost can be lowered. He regrettably has fourteen twilight instead of twelve twilight like The Balrog, Durin’s Bane. The Balrog Flame of Udun has a special ability to play a Moria orc although the special ability is not needed. Following up on the corruption side, he is not one of the best out there. One reason for this, is that he has a fairly high twilight cost; the second is you don’t want to have to play a Moria orc to play the Balrog.

The Balrog Terror of Khazad-Dum: He is O-Kay, but not the top choice for a corruption deck. The reason, he cannot be exerted if under ground, this disables him to use Must Do Without Hope, which is a tool that needs to be used for corrupting. Another reason is he is only damage +1, and not fierce, unless he is underground. This makes it harder to kill companions off.

The Balrog Terror of Flame and Shadow: Last but certainly not least, The Balrog Terror of Flame and Shadow, is at the top of the list for corrupting. He doesn’t have to be played underground, and can be made eleven twilight by just spotting a Moria minion. He may not be fierce, but he is damage +2, and this is something that shouldn’t be thrown aside lightly. Use him in the right way, and he will destroy your opponent. The Balrog Terror of Flame and Shadow is the main Balrog that is going to be used in this deck. Being the “backbone” of this corruption deck, add three of The Balrog Terror of Flame and Shadow.

Out of the four Balrogs covered, two have been chosen to be the main attack of the deck. Now the Balrog needs his weapons.

To start with, The Balrog definitely needs his sword, so throw in one Balrog’s Sword. That is the least of the two weapons though, his main weapon needed in this deck is Goblin Spear. Surprised? This is where a few people get confused. They think it has to be a Moria “orc” that can bear this weapon. Since it says Moria “minion”, this means the Balrog can bear it too. These two weapons are the two weapons he is going to need. True it is not many, but you don’t need a lot to do a lot. Playing the Balrog’s Sword, and Goblin Spear on him at the same time, is an extremly effective combo, as the Balrog can be boosted in strength, and damage bonuses.

If you are wondering why not add Whip of Many Throng Weapon of Flame and Shadow, the answer is simple. It is not worth adding, because it can’t be used with Goblin Spear, and Goblin Spear is a main corruption tool.

Great, we have the Balrogs and their weapons. Now what? Since the Balrog has such a high twilight cost, he needs something to lower it. Power and Terror is what accomplishes this task, but it requires Moria minions to make Power and Terror work; so bring in Goblin Runner, and Goblin Sneak. Goblin Runner will add in twilight, and Goblin Sneak will get Goblin Runner back into your draw deck.

Next, something needs to be done to help keep the Balrog safe from wounds by archery. Fill With Fear does this. It allows one to skip the archery phase, but even if the archery phase is skipped, four Balrogs is not enough to win the game. By adding Foul Things, this allows one to recycle the Balrog.

The two things used for corruption in the deck are Goblin Spear and Must do Without Hope. Although it is not a lot, you would be surprised what you can do with just those two corrupting tools. Since Goblin Spear requires someone to kill a companion, it is best to have an extra strength boost for back up. True the Balrog is seventeen strength, but just in case your opponent comes up with some unexpected tricks, you will want to be ready. Adding Dark Places provides a boost to the Balrog’s strength by one. By adding three Dark Places, you can have a twenty strength Balrog without using weapons.

One of the main companions that is sure to get annoying is Gandalf. He has excessive ways to remove burdens, and cancel skirmishes. What can a person do to stop him? Dark Fire is the answer. It is extremely helpful in plaguing Gandalf with exertions, and taking down his strength too!

Add Relics of Moria to recycle Goblin Spear, and your deck is pretty much complete.
It is optional to add in Host of Thousands, which will enable you to replay Goblin Runner.

Here is what has been built…

Minions

The Balrog, Durin’s Bane x1 (Used because he is fierce, and has lower twilight)
The Balrog Terror of Flame and Shadow x3 (Used because of damage +2 bonuses)
Goblin Runner x4 (Adds extra twilight, and is used with Power and Terror)
Goblin Sneak x4 (Helps recycle Goblin Runner, and is used with Power and Terror)

Artifacts/Possessions

Goblin Spear x2 (Used for corrupting)
The Balrog’s Sword x1 (Used for extra strength, since it can be used with Goblin Spear.)

Conditions

Fill With Fear x2 (Used to skip the archery phase to protect the Balrog)
Relics of Moria x2 (Replays Goblin Spear)
Dark Places x3 (Boosts the Balrog’s strength)
Dark Fire x2 (Helps kill Gandalf faster)

Events

Must do Without Hope x4 (Used for corrupting)
Foul Things x4 (Used to Replay the Balrog)
Power and Terror x3 (Used to lower the Balrog’s twilight cost)
[Optional] Add in Host of Thousands x2 (To replay Goblin Runner)

Just in case anyone was wondering, it is a thirty-five card shadow side, unless you add in Host of Thousands, which makes it a thirty-seven card shadow side.

Sites

{1} The Prancing Pony (Can add a burden)
{2} Ettenmoors (Can make the Balrog stronger)
{3} Rivendell Valley (Enhances the chance of receiving twilight)
{4} Eregion Hills (Adds a Burden)
{5} The Bridge of Khazad-Dum (The Balrog’s twilight cost is lowered)
{6} Dimrill Dale (Lowers twilight for the first Moria orc)
{7} Anduin Confluence (Gets rid of allies)
{8} Shores of Nen Hithoel (Has a high shadow number)
{9} Emyn Muil (Makes minions fierce)

Hope you enjoyed it,
Ingold55

A few cards that might hurt this deck:

Fifth Level
Fourth Level
Seventh Level
Stone Tower
Durin III Dwarven Lord
Gandalf’s Staff
Pallando Far-Traveling one
Grimbeorn Beorning Chieftain
Last edited by ingold55 on Thu May 18, 2006 10:24 pm; edited 3 times in totalThere is a power in this world beyond any of us, and Jesus is that power and The Savior.

Cool this is my attempt to look cool.
Trade list (Want Balrogs and Aragorns)
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:53 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Good article. I liked the overview, especially the trick of using Goblin Spear. One little detail: The Balrog, Durin’s Bane, can’t be played at a non-underground site, and your only underground site is The Bridge of Khazad-Dum. Are you just planning to keep him for that site alone?
I’d also like a little better tie-in with the sites, but that’s a minor detail, and one mainly deck-specific.
sperzdechly
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:12 am
Very intriguing topic. When I saw it, I thought - this can be something really sophisticated, fersh and interesting! As furtther I read, the more disapionted I felt. Unfortunately you didn’t showed nothing special and you didn’t convince me to this idea. Althought I try, I can’t imagine this deck corrupting anything. In most cases you won’t be able to do anything till the 5th site. You need much luck to play Barlog at site 4th. Even if you play this Barlog, it probably get killed very fast (since fellowship will be well set up and in good health), so Goblin spear won’t trigger. It’s poor corruption main tool.
Article is written in proper way, is clear and you kept the form. But I find it in some places not so good to read... It didn’t go so fast and easy to read it for me. Sometimes I get bored. In fact I can’t say even why. I think it is to "dry". You showed some facts, you pikced the best IYO solution, you showed sample deck...but I can’t feel that you put some heart into it.
Althougth there are only little mistakes and article is proper, I like it only so much to give him 3.
ingold55
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:40 pm
yes CarpeGuitarrem the balrog durin’s bain is used only at bridge of khazad-dum, because he is fierce and that will tear your opponent appart. At least it will hear. very rarly can my friends escape this balrog.

sperzdechly you would be surprised, but this stratagy would kill off me enemies fast. any ideas on how to make it non-"dry" as you put it?

to other people, please post your ideas on what would make this article better.
There is a power in this world beyond any of us, and Jesus is that power and The Savior.

sperzdechly
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:05 pm
ingold55 wrote:
sperzdechly you would be surprised, but this stratagy would kill off me enemies fast. any ideas on how to make it non-"dry" as you put it?

I assure you, that this shadow isn’t deadly. You can play its main power - Barlog - 3, maximum 4 times per game. This Barlog would be killed or canceled something like 2 times. So you will use him successuly only twice a game. It’s not enough to kill enemies. Fast is site 4 - you won’t be able to play Barlog till 5th site.
But that dosen’t matter here. We can discuss it this way endlessly. When I’ll have some spare time, I’ll try to post here my favourite version of Barlog deck. Then I’ll try to show you how to make it effective.
Question is, how to make this article better - worth at least 4 stars. And frankly speaking I don’t know. I’ll try to read it carefully and point out some things, that can be done better...but tomorrow. So till tomorrow Smile
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:43 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
He also mentioned the fact of "dry" articles. This just means that you need to make it fun to read. Don’t just talk about good cards, make it interesting and fresh. I like the fact that you open with a quote, but don’t forget to maintain at least a semi-informal tone in the article, like you were explaining this deck to your best friends.
ingold55
Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:12 pm
thanks, i will look over my article tomorow.
There is a power in this world beyond any of us, and Jesus is that power and The Savior.

sperzdechly
Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:54 am
CarpeGuitarrem said exactly what I meant by "dry". So it is hard to say specificly what is wrong.
Legolas Elf-Prince
Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:56 pm
I like how you gave a history of the Balrog. you seem to have coverd every side. oh and thanks for the card list that can beat your deck
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:37 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
I think that it you have an interesting Idea but not a good one. You can only play at max 8 balrogs by useing Foul Things and that seems to be your only minion that is any good. I feel that Nazgul and gollum are simply better at corrupting than Moria. Also I think that Shadows sites offer so much more and should be considered standard for LOTR TCG by now. And you seem to cound heavily on The Bridge of Khaza-dum.
Still it was a well written article.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest