LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Starting point for new casual players - which deck/collection/expansion?  (Read 2670 times)

July 02, 2018, 04:54:57 PM
Read 2670 times

Ratslayer

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Hey guys, I have a group of about 4-6 people who might want to start with this game. We'd play it purely casually, without looking up strats/decks online, etc. I played it 2 or 3 times and found it amazing. My idea would be to buy some random old collection with a few hundred (or thousand :)) ) cards in it, everyone builds a #$&*@! random deck they like and we just play a bit. Little money invested, just to get started. (The only con I see is that not everyone might want to actually BUILD a deck from 100s of new cards they didnt yet read, but maybe the previous owner arranged them in decks already or something).

But I'm not sure what I should buy (there arent actually that many listings on ebay or I cant find them properly/theyre huge collections costing hundreds of $s, we were more looking to invest 50-100$), like which expansion etc (this seems to be restricted? we played without any restrictions :)) ) or if its better to buy a starter deck etc. (or even single cards? but this seems quite expensive)
Looking forward to your tips!

July 02, 2018, 05:42:55 PM
Reply #1

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
I just sold a big portion of my collection earlier this year and I'm presently two states away from what bulk I have left, but for an easy introduction I suggest rebuilding any of the Fellowship block starter decks. (I dunno off the top of my head if we've got cardlists for starter decks or not; I'll check and retun shortly.)

Welcome to the game! I've personally been around since last millennium, so if you want to mine my brain for arcane knowledge of the game, you may probe at will.

Also, if you have to step up and make a massive collection and host all the cards, do it. It's such a fun position to be in, and you'll get free drinks.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:57:54 PM by menace64 »

July 21, 2018, 04:39:33 AM
Reply #2

Shapeshifter

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
Gondorian.com has starter deck lists for sets 1-11: http://www.gondorian.com/lotrtcg/starters.php

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:41:45 AM by Shapeshifter »

July 28, 2018, 01:07:22 AM
Reply #3

Shapeshifter

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
You can also find lists for the starter decks here on the forums: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,8442.msg94302.html#new

I've dug up the starters for LotR TCG Online that had a few more cards in them to actually be legal (30 Free Peoples/30 Shadow cards minimum).