LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Time for some more interaction! [Feedback Requested]  (Read 7194 times)

February 29, 2012, 05:35:59 PM
Reply #15

Kralik

Re: Time for some more interaction! [Feedback Requested]
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 05:35:59 PM »
I think the Decks and Effective Combos should be two different sections...one dealing with "good strategies this card does well as a part of" and the other "specific cards this plays well with".  They're related, but I think a division is in order.

Got it. :up:

February 29, 2012, 05:46:23 PM
Reply #16

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »
Perhaps (and this may be covered by the "other links" section) there can be a sort of cross-reference to different relevant sections of the official rulebooks.  For instance, on followers there could be a line that says "See also: Aid" and for the example of 1R1, we could have "See also:  Ring-bearer, Ring-bound, The One Ring (card type), Alternate Ring Bearers", etc. 

In fact, it may be a good idea to have a wikified version of the different set guidebooks for such a feature as this.  I for one would be willing to help translate the guidebooks, plural, into a wiki version.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

March 01, 2012, 06:26:00 AM
Reply #17

Kralik

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »
What I would probably do is get a card wiki working first, and then a separate wiki for rules and such if needed.

March 01, 2012, 08:29:06 AM
Reply #18

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 08:29:06 AM »
Long time no see!

Not wikis, but here are card entries for MTG and ST1E for any similar ideas on what to include.

Maybe any unofficial rulings, if listed, can be hammered out using a more formalized procedure like what was done in the CRD Discussion forum. Not sure about linking to just any old discussion though, as thoughts may have changed over time, and possibly be misleading as "evidence" of someone's view.

March 01, 2012, 08:36:15 AM
Reply #19

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »
I like how the MtG site has a section for Legal Blocks and how the ST site shows "aliases" of the card.  I think our wiki could do with both sections.

[edit:] If we shift the example case to 1C2, the aliases section could do with I think two subsections; the first "Aliases", which link to 1R1, 4R1, 7R2, etc, and a "Reprints" section, which would link to 4C2, 7C1, etc.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:40:22 AM by TelTura »
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

March 01, 2012, 01:44:26 PM
Reply #20

Kralik

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »
Each of the 3500+ pages will have to be individually created, by means of a script. So what I'm looking for is a general template that will work for ALL cards. If there is a section for "Aliases/Reprints," it would only be filled for some. Something more generic would be best.

March 02, 2012, 12:58:51 AM
Reply #21

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 12:58:51 AM »
What language are you using? you could do a pass that first compiles a list of the cards and searches for dupes (assuming you don't have an easily read format beforehand).  It seems like a candidate for automation, regardless of if you do it now or not.

(also the "legal blocks" section is applicable to all cards, dunno if you missed that or not in my last post)

It also occurs to me that there could be a "next card" and "previous card"  column near the bottom, each having a respective link and image of the next/previous card in sequence.  Also, and I don't know how difficult this would be to implement (and if it's even relevant at this stage of planning), but if the card-image-hover could be implemented like we have in the forum that would be fantastic.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:02:23 AM by TelTura »

March 02, 2012, 09:12:07 AM
Reply #22

Kralik

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »
The card popups requires some javascript calls, which would not be available in a user-editable wiki. As far as legal blocks -- is it really necessary per card when we already have easy definitions of each block? I'll think about the alternate versions of cards, but when it comes down to it, I won't necessarily have the time to make a robust script to handle it. Since it's a wiki, it can always be added later by users. I'll planning on making a thumbnails folder for the card images so that would help with linking.

March 02, 2012, 09:21:47 AM
Reply #23

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »
As far as legal blocks -- is it really necessary per card when we already have easy definitions of each block?

Most of the info you already have listed is stuff that could be found elsewhere with a bit of digging...the point of a wiki would be to throw everything you might possibly need to know about each card on a single page, wouldn't it? I think that's relevant information if you're looking for all the uses of a particular card; "oh, i can use it with X and Y to completely shut down Z....except  it's banned in movie block.  oh well."

sucks about the hover-over code; that's really grown on me and I could see it being useful in a database such as this.  oh well.

March 02, 2012, 09:28:23 AM
Reply #24

Kralik

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 09:28:23 AM »
The X- and R-list information is already on each card's page. :P

March 02, 2012, 09:40:38 AM
Reply #25

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »
Herp, derp.  I was only looking at the wiki section beneath and completely forgot there was a section with "official" info up top.  Guess that's taken care of, then. 

Although...it might still be a decent idea to move that info down into the wiki section (or just make that section wikifiable) so when errors are found they can be fixed without an admin doing it.  Also, when there is a block limit, it's listed as "Lists: EXL, MXL" which is not very clear to people not intimately familiar with the game (and who we would hope to be approachable to). Having a list that says "Expanded: X-listed Movie: X-listed  Fellowship: Allowed" or something like that would be a bit more clear.

March 10, 2012, 09:33:03 AM
Reply #26

Kralik

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 09:33:03 AM »
Does anyone check this section of the forum? Seems quiet in here. :)

I'm going to roll out a sample template and put it on each individual card page. Keep the feedback coming and it will soon be finalized. I'll also look into a way to add "alternate versions" of cards to the database.

March 10, 2012, 09:36:07 AM
Reply #27

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 09:36:07 AM »
same problem as always; people respond mostly to topics they've subscribed to and don't crawl the different forums for new topics/posts.

March 10, 2012, 10:11:53 AM
Reply #28

Kralik

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 10:11:53 AM »
I would think a link on each of the card pages would get people's attention. Then again, those pages had been down for two weeks prior. :(

New sample up and on each page! Let's hear some more feedback before I roll it out as the starting template. Once it is up, I will link the wiki to your forum login, so each forum member can edit it.

March 10, 2012, 10:14:04 AM
Reply #29

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 10:14:04 AM »
Looks good.  So long as it's flexible enough that members could add sections, I think it's good enough as-is.  Just get it up and let us get to editin'!