LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The future of LOTR TCG  (Read 143388 times)

November 15, 2009, 11:40:45 AM
Reply #90

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: The future of LOTR TCG
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2009, 11:40:45 AM »
Thanks MidnightLich and ket.

The problem the current PC faces is lack of time and experience. However, posting and talking about the concept may attract new people to the idea of a PC. Until we recruit more people, or the right people, the progress of the PC will be slow. At this stage, any form of marketing that will increase the exposure of these boards and this part of the forum, I would suggest is part of the current PC strategy.

That said, we do have a few onboard now, with some pretty good skills at that!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:45:52 AM by chompers »

February 03, 2010, 09:02:06 PM
Reply #91

finisterle

« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2010, 09:02:06 PM »
A player locator please thank you. Without it the site is pointless.

February 03, 2010, 11:16:41 PM
Reply #92

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2010, 11:16:41 PM »
The player locator on the Star Trek CC website is awesome - but it also helps that there are alot of players in my area. A player locator for LOTR for my area would reveal that not many LOTR players use this site.

I know of two that do - myself and one other from Sydney. As for Australia - that makes three players. However, there are more than 3 players in Australia.

A player locator might aid in getting more players to use the site (if it ever happens) - so it is definately a good idea.

February 04, 2010, 01:48:57 AM
Reply #93

Kenddrick

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2010, 01:48:57 AM »
So I shall just include it in the website. I've got a footbal (soccer) game to play right now, so I will post in the website section soon!

March 02, 2010, 05:33:54 PM
Reply #94

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »
I hope that the front of the LOTR Page looks like the Star Trek one, I think it is much better than the Star Wars PC front page.  The info is all right there and much more inviting looking. 
Visit www.CategoryOneGames.com for LOTR and Star Wars Singles, Boxes and Starters.

March 02, 2010, 05:37:44 PM
Reply #95

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2010, 05:37:44 PM »
I can't remember where we talked about this before, but I spoke to Neal at Decktech and he has all the emails of everyone that signed up for the LOTR section at DT as well as the emails of anyone that posted decks/articles to DT. 

He said we could figure out a way to email everyone about the upcoming site and so forth. 
Visit www.CategoryOneGames.com for LOTR and Star Wars Singles, Boxes and Starters.

March 02, 2010, 09:10:19 PM
Reply #96

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »
Unfortunately, things have slowed down with the formation of the PC. A shame considering the progress that was made. Decipher showed a willingness to support us, and the combined work of many members helped increase the membership of this site, the activity on the boards, and also the number of players using GCCG.

Many of the members on this site that were actively pursuing the PC for now appear to have moved on, or have stopped posting (hopefully they are still reading). I guess the main reason that this happened is a lack of leadership.

That said, the future of LOTR is in the players hands. The overall direction it takes can be big (ala Star Trek and Star Wars efforts) or small (attract new players, promote game, etc). TLHH does a wonderful job supporting the LOTR community, but I would hope that we can have more than this in the future, in the form of a PC.

However, the core issue that prevents LOTR forming a PC is lack of leadership. Once the right person comes along, I hope things will start moving much faster. Will this ever happen ... I hope so, but time will only tell.

For now, the best we can do is promote the game, get players playing the game (using GCCG or real cards - it doesn't matter). Through promotion, hopefully the right people will come to take the game to the next level.

As for the email contacts - anything that informs them about the site and points them to the discussion about the PC might bring the right players in. I suggest sending an email to those player to let them know about TLHH, GCCG, and the proposed PC.

BTW - I played in my first tournament for several years the other day. Only four players attended, but it is a starting point for LOTR Sydney. It was sealed deck and I came last. The wierd thing is my only win was against the person that won the tournament - go figure.

March 02, 2010, 09:52:29 PM
Reply #97

Kenddrick

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »
Many of the members on this site that were actively pursuing the PC for now appear to have moved on, or have stopped posting (hopefully they are still reading). I guess the main reason that this happened is a lack of leadership.

However, the core issue that prevents LOTR forming a PC is lack of leadership. Once the right person comes along, I hope things will start moving much faster. Will this ever happen ... I hope so, but time will only tell.

As for the email contacts - anything that informs them about the site and points them to the discussion about the PC might bring the right players in. I suggest sending an email to those player to let them know about TLHH, GCCG, and the proposed PC.

I've been checking the PC section of the website everyday since the day the discussion first started. I sent a message to Scott regarding the website and now that he has replied, things seemed good to go. Hopefully this is where it gets started again.

As for the leadership issue, I have to say that this will be the most important part in forming a PC. Getting people to come in and fill a role is easy. Getting them to COMMIT, and COMPLETE whatever that is required of them, now that is the part where it gets very tough.

Me? Well I guess I could be the leader, but I have to say this. I have got neither the vast experience with the TCG that so many others on this board have, nor have I got the resume recommended for this job. The only thing I have would be enthusiasm and willingness to make this PC happen.

Also, we had Sete a while back who agreed to do a magazine for us, which will act like a magnet of sorts to draw ex-players into the game. I had a brief conversation with him a few days ago, and it turns out he's busy with studies and will not be doing the magazine anytime soon.

March 02, 2010, 10:10:43 PM
Reply #98

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2010, 10:10:43 PM »
That's where our main issue lies. Once the PC is formed, the members can't chop and change. It is a commitment to perform a certain duty. Alot of time will be invested into the project to make it work, and if successful a lot of people will depend on the job to be done right.

The Star Trek Continuing Committee. I know i always make reference to it but their model IMO is second to none, and this is because they have the right people on board. They have past Decipher employees doing volunteer work to keep their project alive. In my most ambitious dreams i hope a past Decipher employee comes along and is willing to take on this project [-o<

March 03, 2010, 06:22:59 AM
Reply #99

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2010, 06:22:59 AM »
Me? Well I guess I could be the leader, but I have to say this. I have got neither the vast experience with the TCG that so many others on this board have, nor have I got the resume recommended for this job. The only thing I have would be enthusiasm and willingness to make this PC happen.
I feel as though I am in exactly the same position. I could perhaps head a creative team or errata team, but I would not feel comfortable heading the whole thing.

This is unfortunately an issue. Is there anyone on the boards that actually has a good amount of experience? Otherwise, we might have to just go for it and learn on the job?

Thranduil

March 03, 2010, 08:17:56 AM
Reply #100

Kenddrick

« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2010, 08:17:56 AM »
I would say that their are people more than capable on the job that can be found on this board. Just the main issue is the commitment issue.

March 03, 2010, 12:01:48 PM
Reply #101

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2010, 12:01:48 PM »
From my point of view - i believe i have the resume and skills to play a significant role in a PC (i manage in excess of 100 people everyday in my work duties). However, i lack the time, i lack a suitable location, and my biggest flaw is i lack the temperament to work effectively via message boards and email. My overall knowledge of the game is well behind other members on this site so i wouldn't see myself filling a rule team or design team position.

To be realistic, a past Decipher employee is not going to come along. They would already be overseeing a PC if they enjoyed the game enough like Brad over at Star Trek CC. The committee members of the STCC all had significant involvement in the game throughout its life. Star Trek has also been around since 1994, and has a rabid fanbase.

If a PC is to be formed, it will be because those interested take a leap of faith. But before we do we need more commitment from players. There is no point if we are a team of say four people.

Also, to avoid drawing more unwanted criticism due to lack of organisation we really should simply promote the concept of the PC on this site (not the inner workings). Once we have the interest, we should move operations to a new location. I can understand criticism by some who feel TLHH message boards have been hijacked by excessive discussion about a PC that is overly disorganised.

I am also torn over the need to generate interest first and then design a model. This is partly what leads to disorganised discussion on the message boards. It may actually be better to use the people we have and just go for it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:09:14 PM by chompers »

March 03, 2010, 12:07:54 PM
Reply #102

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2010, 12:07:54 PM »
thanks Ket - if it could be a paid position i think the PC would already be underway!

March 03, 2010, 12:17:25 PM
Reply #103

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2010, 12:17:25 PM »
While you all know my thoughts on the PC, I would certainly be your chairman if it was a paid position...

...and you paid me what I was worth.
-wtk

so... nothing at all?  \:D/
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

March 03, 2010, 01:17:54 PM
Reply #104

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »
While you all know my thoughts on the PC, I would certainly be your chairman if it was a paid position...

...and you paid me what I was worth.
-wtk

so... nothing at all?  \:D/

You'll be honored and loved by all TLHH members. ;)