LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The future of LOTR TCG  (Read 143386 times)

March 03, 2010, 03:35:52 PM
Reply #105

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
Re: The future of LOTR TCG
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2010, 03:35:52 PM »
A few things:

Chris "imrahil327" Schoenthal needs to be involved somehow.  He is the current Tournament person for Star Wars and knows a lot of about LOTR.

Jared Stein that posts here also should be involved somehow.

I'm glad to provide hosting and website help and any legal issues or questions I dealt with through the PC and use my contacts, but I'm just not on here enough or have to time to really be a day to day sort of person.

Michael Girard would appear to be our best bet for help if we wanted someone from Decipher.  I have some sort of relationship with him, not sure if anyone else here does, but it would be cool to see if he wanted to help at all.  

I also posted the link to the message boards on DeckTech's page and they appear to have generated a lot of interest there for the game, which is really good.  Hopefully we can get a strong relationship with DT and build off of that.

I think if we have a strong front page and a strong inner cabinet of people that the game can go on strongly.  I don't know if it needs to be a day to day thing for everyone but i think a lot of people banding together for the cause of the game will really make it work. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:39:33 PM by Category1Games.com »
Visit www.CategoryOneGames.com for LOTR and Star Wars Singles, Boxes and Starters.

March 03, 2010, 10:17:32 PM
Reply #106

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:32 PM »
.... but i think a lot of people banding together for the cause of the game will really make it work. 

This is what we need and unfortunately even getting this far creates debate. The members of this site are unfortunately a divided bunch. Part of the oppositon i feel may not be to the idea of a PC but to the disorganised state we currently find ourselves in. More experience members and players supporting and getting involved with the concept is the only way forward.

So market the game, this site, GCCG and the concept of the PC and let's see where we end up.

March 04, 2010, 01:44:06 AM
Reply #107

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2010, 01:44:06 AM »
Part of the oppositon i feel may not be to the idea of a PC but to the disorganised state we currently find ourselves in.

No no no... It is the idea of the PC.

March 04, 2010, 03:16:55 AM
Reply #108

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2010, 03:16:55 AM »
Part of the oppositon i feel may not be to the idea of a PC but to the disorganised state we currently find ourselves in.

No no no... It is the idea of the PC.

Wierd - promote game - get more players - support players (granted TLHH already does this, but with limited organisation - it is essentially house rules. It also support a community of at most 100 players worldwide and iwth the right organisation there is no reason that can't grow).

You and select other members say no. I don't get it.

I do get opposition when - there is talk of a PC - we make little to no progress -  then you and other members say no because we make no progress (which really translates into - the right people are not on board to take this forward - i think everyone is already well aware of that). So we go back to the beginning and attempt to get the right people on board.

In the end - as other members of this site have already said - LOTR can die a slow and horrible death - but if that's what is wanted i really do question why members with this attitude are still here using these boards? There are living and breathing card games out there, LOTR can be one of them as modelled by other PCs. Star Trek CCG is bigger now than when Decipher had the rights to the game. And there is of course MTG, and many other CCGs.

Anyway - it has been said over and over again. It is plainly obvious to some the benefits of a PC, but when on the other side of the fence (your side) it apparently is obvious we don't need this. I guess we will just have to disagree on that one.

March 04, 2010, 03:01:06 PM
Reply #109

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2010, 03:01:06 PM »
Wierd - promote game - get more players - support players (granted TLHH already does this, but with limited organisation - it is essentially house rules. It also support a community of at most 100 players worldwide and iwth the right organisation there is no reason that can't grow).

You and select other members say no. I don't get it.
I don't mind those things, in fact I think it's very important to promote the game and have people try it out. It's when printed DCs, rule changes, erratas, and bans start happening (which they will if a PC is started) that prevents me from supporting it.

March 04, 2010, 03:07:39 PM
Reply #110

Kenddrick

« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2010, 03:07:39 PM »

In the end - as other members of this site have already said - LOTR can die a slow and horrible death - but if that's what is wanted i really do question why members with this attitude are still here using these boards?

Anyway - it has been said over and over again. It is plainly obvious to some the benefits of a PC, but when on the other side of the fence (your side) it apparently is obvious we don't need this. I guess we will just have to disagree on that one.

Agreed. :(

March 04, 2010, 03:10:16 PM
Reply #111

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »

In the end - as other members of this site have already said - LOTR can die a slow and horrible death - but if that's what is wanted i really do question why members with this attitude are still here using these boards?

Agreed. :(
And more to the point, there's no point arguing about it in this thread. Everyone is clear about each other's opinions, and no discussion here is going to change it - it just seems unhelpful to me.

Thranduil

March 04, 2010, 03:50:20 PM
Reply #112

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »
Personally I've wondered if people would settle for a TLHH PC, which would basically create a set of house rules that the community here could use if they wished. Its goal is just to keep things interesting in the community, for however long the community wants. Would it be pointless if it doesn't revive the player base, or would there be interest?

March 04, 2010, 04:28:00 PM
Reply #113

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
See I don't think there needs to be new V cards or anything like that right away.  I think more people are interested in figuring out which sets we should use for events, some house rules and a way to communicate with other players when an event is being held.

Also a place that can set up and hold a regional event and a Worlds type of event each year is what we really need.

I think that doing V sets and so forth is a sort of ways down the road sort of thing with LOTR.  LOTR is a fun game for me to play here or there but I don't know if a competitive enough still where we need to be pumping out 2-3 new V sets a year and such and such.
Visit www.CategoryOneGames.com for LOTR and Star Wars Singles, Boxes and Starters.

March 04, 2010, 05:36:49 PM
Reply #114

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2010, 05:36:49 PM »
C1G is absolutely right the * on here - the "community" just needs to come to a consensus on which sets to use (or not use) for events and then start demoing the game (lose your demo games, it's what is expected of you from the demo-ee's point of view, even if they know it's on purpose) and hosting said events.

March 04, 2010, 08:44:54 PM
Reply #115

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2010, 08:44:54 PM »
Also a place that can set up and hold a regional event and a Worlds type of event each year is what we really need.

Agree - there is no reason that LOTR should not be played using real cards. Ultimately that is only possible if interested players demo the game, and tournaments are advertised. Good to see that some of that is happening on TLHH now.

Tournaments support - Re-establishing player groups and tournaments will hope fully lead to regionals, nationals, and worlds. You can't have recognised nationals and worlds without a governing body - a pc - whatever you want to call it. With this established, the playing base will hopefully expand. It is hard to run tournaments and worlds without a concensus on format.

Rules support - it works on TLHH at the moment via disucssion. But if more players pick up the game, rules might need to be formally supported. That can probably be achieved by discussion on the boards and then by general consensus. A current rulings document will aid greatly so that the same questions do not need to be rehashed via discussion.

V-cards - this creates debate amongst the community. Let's not talk about it at the moment.

March 04, 2010, 08:51:18 PM
Reply #116

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2010, 08:51:18 PM »

I don't mind those things, in fact I think it's very important to promote the game and have people try it out. It's when printed DCs, rule changes, erratas, and bans start happening (which they will if a PC is started) that prevents me from supporting it.

Now this i get.

So let's work together and promote the game and hopefully get a current accepted rulebook (that doesn't change the game), tournaments, and best still regionals, nationals and worlds again. Oh ... i can dream :)

Large scale tournaments will need cooperation from members of this site. But before this happens, first it will need people playing the game.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:53:20 PM by chompers »

March 04, 2010, 09:09:59 PM
Reply #117

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2010, 09:09:59 PM »
Hey, here's an idea.

Why don't you introduce players to the game with whatever sets are most accessible in your area?

Problem solved.
-wtk

Actually - no. If i go off and play my own way in my area, there is no community cohesion and the future of LOTR remains bleak. It doesn't help in the long run with establishing a global assault to get nationals and worlds happening. If you are not interested in this happening, i have no clue as to why you are posting here. If you lack interest in this happening, what right do you have to say the entire community should follow your lead.

March 05, 2010, 03:11:02 PM
Reply #118

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2010, 03:11:02 PM »
Maybe someone knowledgeable on what's needed to expand the player base could start a poll to see how many here are willing to commit to that. If this includes giving demos, hosting tournaments, coordinating with card stores, etc., I presume it has to be a semi-regular activity as well.

This, in theory, I am far more in support of. But I still don't think that a TLHH PC is necessary. It just works like this:

Kralik: I think that all promos up to The Binding Ring (P) should be Movie Block legal.
ket_the_jet: I agree. Tell you what, feel free to use them in any of your Movie Block decks against me. I presume you grant me the same liberty?
Kralik: Sure.
ket_the_jet: I'm glad we accomplished that without a PC.
Well, that makes three whenever I get my rear on GCCG.

It just seems the two options so far are to wait (and I realize that some are content with the game as is) or to get a full-scale PC in action. A TLHH PC will most likely not revive the base, but maybe some here would be okay with that.

March 09, 2010, 11:55:53 AM
Reply #119

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2010, 11:55:53 AM »
I haven't been on these boards for a month or so, but in that time I've played a dozen real games with local players and hosted 1 sealed tourney that brought ~8 people out of the woodwork. We are now laying local plans that will run through the summer to play a number of sealed and constructed events in Fship block.

See, the problem with planning and waiting and devising national plans is that you're basically ignoring all the local players who just want to get together and play in favor of a handful of dedicated players who want to compete. As much as I'd like to think it'd be great to play worlds, there's plenty of fun to be had locally.

And if, after a year, we have a strong local group of players who want to do some sort of national event, we'll be ready--no matter what format you want to organize.