LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The future of LOTR TCG  (Read 143386 times)

May 12, 2010, 07:12:07 AM
Reply #150

jodokast4ever

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: The future of LOTR TCG
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2010, 07:12:07 AM »
So, either someone from here, or another group is attempting to start a LotR PC, because this is on Category 1 Games website:

May 6th, 2010

HUGE LOTR Updates

We have gotten a huge amount of LOTR cards in stock recently and updated our inventory and pricing.

We are also excited to announce our partnership with the LOTR group that is forming a PC.

More news coming soon.

Interesting?!?

May 12, 2010, 08:21:48 AM
Reply #151

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2010, 08:21:48 AM »
Yes, he is talking about the ragtag group on this forum.

I put up posters at my local game store to try and attract some interest in the game. Currently the people that play there only play miniature games (not even HeroClix, just stuff you paint yourself) and Magic.

Hopefully I can turn some of them to the dark side.

Oh, wrong metaphor.

Hopefully I can corrupt some of them...

May 12, 2010, 08:29:12 AM
Reply #152

jodokast4ever

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2010, 08:29:12 AM »

I put up posters at my local game store to try and attract some interest in the game. Currently the people that play there only play miniature games (not even HeroClix, just stuff you paint yourself) and Magic.

Oh, wrong metaphor.

I can completely understand that.  The last remaining card/comic shop in the Raleigh area has players that card-wise, only play MTG, Yugioh, and Pokemon.  They have some D&D and Warhammer going on too, but I don't play any of those.  It's hurts a little just thinking about it, lol  :)
My dream shop would have everyone playing old school LotR, SW, and ST, along with some D&D, SW mini's and maybe some LotR RPG  :)  Alas, I'm just 1 lotto ticket away from that, haha.

May 13, 2010, 02:38:03 AM
Reply #153

Ilfirin

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2010, 02:38:03 AM »
Hi

Perhaps this is a seriously and utterly stupid question but, what does "PC" mean in the TCG Online? I suspect it's not Personal Computer, is it?

Thanx
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:40:11 AM by Ilfirin »
"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to”.

May 13, 2010, 03:09:30 AM
Reply #154

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2010, 03:09:30 AM »
PC means Players Committee or similar - basically the goal is to get fans of the game to take over the running and support of the game - with goals such as increasing the players base, reestablishing tournament circuits including regionals, nationals, worlds, etc, providing rules support ... and perhaps in the long run expanding the card base via v-cards, errata cards or maybe introducing new playing formats with v-cards, errata cards, etc.

Other defunct Decipher products have PCs - LOTR does not. Other defunct CCGs, not necessarily produced by Decipher, also have PCs.

That is what PC means - what is means in the TCG Online ... not sure what you mean here?

May 13, 2010, 03:17:26 AM
Reply #155

Ilfirin

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2010, 03:17:26 AM »
Ah, thanks a lot chompers

I understood that "PC" had something to with the Online version of LOTR TCG, so i asked what it meant in correlation with the TCG but my syntax was bad...true.

Anyway, thx again  :)
"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to”.

June 06, 2010, 01:26:55 PM
Reply #156

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2010, 01:26:55 PM »

Oh, wrong metaphor.

I can completely understand that.  The last remaining card/comic shop in the Raleigh area has players that card-wise, only play MTG, Yugioh, and Pokemon.  They have some D&D and Warhammer going on too, but I don't play any of those.  It's hurts a little just thinking about it, lol  :)

Nothing against those TCGs. I play all of them, besides LotR TCG and SW TCG.

June 18, 2010, 10:16:46 AM
Reply #157

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2010, 10:16:46 AM »
Email off to Decipher today regarding the LOTR PC Foundation, it is going to Cindy.
Visit www.CategoryOneGames.com for LOTR and Star Wars Singles, Boxes and Starters.

June 18, 2010, 08:23:08 PM
Reply #158

Orangejedi

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2010, 08:23:08 PM »
Hey, this is Seth Maser.  I definitely tried what you guys are doing the legal way, trying to get permission through Warren and Decipher, and I tried working with Brad DeFruiter (um... let's just say "unsuccessfully") before he was let go and then with Kendrick Summers.  I had a strong relationship with Dan Bojo and Mike Girard before they moved on and was a writer, playtester, and designer (as well as a top player). 

This was all back in 07/08, and obviously, you can see the results.  I wish you guys well, and definitely had a structure and officers lined up but couldn't get all the wheels turning from the Decipher end.  They were less than helpful.

I can tell you a few things: 
1.  Decipher pretty much has no product left.  The last of it was sold to Nate Hill (Hill's Wholesale Gaming) a few years back, and even he bought it on the cheap end.  When New Line ended their relationship with D, they had to get rid of it...quickly. 
2.  As for the promo foils?  They sent the some to some DAgents, and many of them and the rest of the volunteers never got the last of them.  They were sold off or disappeared (Riddle me which former employees sold foils, not that I blame most of them).
3.  They still wanted to hold the templates at the time for some pipe dream, and wouldn't let me get my hands on them.  I know people who have access to the templates, but they are lawsuit-averse. 
4.  The playtesting is not only far more difficult than you can imagine, but design isn't easy either.  It can be done, but my group came up with a simple solution:  Open up playtesting.  Have the meta, but about 2 months before you go live, release the prelims for public testing.  After a month of data, bring them back and finalize edited/new designs.  See, people like power cards until they are on the wrong end of them.  I broke the #$&*@! out of that #$&*@! troll in PTing and it still got released, and my release deck showed a broken version.  And even that lasted 5 minutes until the more potent version of it came out in tournament form.  Even then my group was the only one complaining about it.  By then sets were starting to get pushed out by pressure from the top, and then Brad used that bs to "fire" us.  The last sets were whatever busted guts Brad came up with off the top of his head and received zero testing.  Anyway, don't fall into the ego trap.  Testing and creating is not easy.  If you are interested, I'm perfectly willing to provide feedback, and I can get you in touch with some STELLAR former testers who can help you ask the right questions.  I think Florent did some testing but I dont' know how much. 
5.  I like your enthusiasm, but the legal loopholes were the most difficult, as it was still somewhat "fresh" and the Hobbit was supposed to be filmed/out soon.  Well, it's officially stale and I hope that lets you guys get away with a lot more than what my lawyer friends told me I could. 

Seriously, if you have any questions, feel free to email me at seth.maser@gmail.com
I went through this a lot, and can find a bunch of my files on it.  I think if it's done right you may get back the second wave of top players (the Sullivans, Brochus, and Quebecois are long gone) including Bison Bucks, Cuse, and some of the newer Canadians/Californians back into this. 

If nothing else know this:  You can never get enough feedback.  You will always find someone who can help refine, fix, or break your ideas.  That is absolutely necessary if you want to get it right the first time. 

Best of luck.

June 18, 2010, 08:34:35 PM
Reply #159

imrahil327

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2010, 08:34:35 PM »
I can confirm everything Seth said, as I was helping him with it at the time.  I also work with the Star Wars PC, and know that Scott Church is a good guy with a lot of good ideas.  Between learning from Seth's experience and using Scott's enthusiasm, I have hope we may yet see a LOTR PC :)

June 18, 2010, 10:18:34 PM
Reply #160

Kenddrick

Re: Post your GCCG questions here!
« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2010, 10:18:34 PM »
If you guys are willing the lead the PC, I would follow you and do whatever you require of me. I really really want to make this work.

June 19, 2010, 09:39:26 PM
Reply #161

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2010, 09:39:26 PM »
Just to clarify, I was never a playtester.

June 20, 2010, 09:05:42 AM
Reply #162

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2010, 09:05:42 AM »
Please Ket, put it in chronological order at least!
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

June 20, 2010, 09:15:00 AM
Reply #163

Kenddrick

« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
If you guys are willing the lead the PC, I would follow you and do whatever you require of me. I really really want to make this work.

I'm just adding this to the list:

Come on you guys, let us get things going!
I'm ready and willing to pursue this PC.
I'm ready to follow you all the way in pursuit of the PC. :)
LET US ALL MAKE THIS HAPPEN! COME ON!
I'll be willing to give 102% and do my best though.
Let's get things going! :D
-wtk

Why are you always doing things about me?

June 20, 2010, 09:47:19 AM
Reply #164

Kenddrick

« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »
A bunch of people with ideas and very little in terms of stepping up.

It's not easy with so many legal issues, and such a divided community.