LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Random Thoughts...  (Read 5296 times)

July 28, 2011, 08:54:08 AM
Read 5296 times

Craig_The_Scotsman

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Random Thoughts...
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:54:08 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am completely new here, just discovered the website, and haven't had a chance to browse through much. Anyway, I haven't had the opportunity to play LOTR in years, but I really enjoyed the game (even if I did only play with my brother and about three friends). After sorting some stuff in my room for heading off to university, I found my collection of LOTR cards which sparked my interest into whatever became of the game after its cancellation, which brought me here.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone's ever bothered to do this (probably), but a long while ago I started to create my own dream sets based on the titles of the sets Decipher never released (I also did my own revisionist take on the Hunters Block). I hadn't sat down to create any new mechanics; I just created new cards that played with existing mechanics, sometimes in new ways.

Anyway, my designs are very flavor (particularly book-flavor) driven and I have no idea about their power level as they've never been play-tested and development is not really my strong suit (and I can't say that the LOTR metagame was anything I was intimately familiar with). But, nonetheless, here are some - enjoy, feel free to comment and critique!

*The One Ring, The Precious [Ring]
Strength: +2
Vitality: -
Resistance: -2
Manuever: Add 2 threats to make bearer wear The One Ring until the regroup phase.
While bearer wears The One Ring, he or she cannot be overwhelmed unless his or her strength is tripled, and each time bearer is about to take a wound in a skirmish, add a burden instead.
"'... of all the works of Sauron the only fair. It is precious to me, though I bide it with great pain.'''
R

[2] *Axe of Erebor, Foe-Cleaver  [Dwarven]
Possession * Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is damage +1.
If bearer is Gimli and you have initiative, whenever he would assign a number of wounds to a minion in his skirmish greater than that minion's vitality, you may exert Gimli and discard a [Dwarven] event from hand to assign any unassigned wounds to a minion skirmishing a Dwarf or a hunter companion.
R

[2] *Gimli, Second of the Three Hunters  [Dwarven]
Companion * Dwarf
Strength: 6
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 7
Damage +1. Enduring. Hunter 2.
Each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, you may spot 3 hunters to choose one: exert Gimli, or heal Gimli.
"'I think, nonetheless, that we no longer need any trail to tell us which way to go.'"
R

[2] *Asfaloth, White Fire [Elven]
Possession * Mount
Bearer must be an Elf or Frodo.
At the start of each skirmish involving bearer, each minion skirmishing bearer must exert.
While bearer is Arwen, Glorfindel, or Frodo and assigned to a skirmish, the Ring-bearer is strength and resistance +2.
"The riders behind were falling back: even their great steeds were no match in speed for the white Elf-horse...."
R

[2] *Legolas, Third of the Three Hunters  [Elven]
Companion * Elf
Strength: 6
Archer. Hunter 2.
While you have initiative and can spot 3 hunter characters, the move limit for this turn is +1.
Each time Legolas wins a skirmish, you may wound a minion assigned to skirmish a hunter companion.
"'We have come far to seek them....'"
R

(0) *Smeagol, River-Hobbit  [Gollum]
Companion
Strength: 3
Vitality: 4
Resistance: 5
Ring-bound. To play, add a burden.
While the fellowship is in region 1, each time the fellowship moves, add a threat.
While the fellowship is in region 2, while you can spot 2 Ring-bound Hobbits, each time the fellowship moves, remove a burden.
While the fellowship is in region 3, Smeagol is strength +2 and cannot be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
R

[3] *Anduril, For the Dunedain [Gondor]
Artifact * Hand Weapon
Resistance: +1
Bearer must be Aragorn. He may not bear other weapons.
Bearer is unyielding.
Each time Aragorn wins a skirmish, discard all minions skirmishing him.
"'Anduril goes to war. The Blade that was Broken shines again!'"
R

[4] *Aragorn, Leader of the Three Hunters  [Gondor]
Companion * Man
Strength: 8
Resistance: 8
Ranger. Hunter 2.
Each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, the Shadow player must wound a minion for each hunter companion you can spot (limit three).
"'With hope or without hope we will follow the trail of our enemies. And woe to them, if we prove the swifter!'"
R

[3] *Boromir, Lord of Men  [Gondor]
Companion * Man
Strength: 7
Resistance: 5
Ring-bound. Ranger.
While Boromir has resistance 0, at the start of skirmish involving him, add a burden or 2 threats.
While you can spot 6 threats, Boromir is strength +3 and defender +1.
Response: If Boromir is killed, remove 4 threats.
"I am sorry. I have paid... I have failed."
R

[3] *Hasufel [Gondor]
Possession * Mount
Bearer must be Aragorn.
At the start of each skirmish involving Aragorn, each minion he is skirmishing must exert.
While you can spot 2 other Free Peoples mounts, each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, you may draw a card for each hunter companion you can spot (limit three).
"We beg you to use all the speed you can. Hasufel shall bear Aragorn...."
R

[5] *Ravenous Cutthroat   [Orc]
Minion * Orc
Strength: 11
Site: 5
Fierce. Hunter 2.
Each time Ravenous Cutthroat wins a skirmish, you may exert a companion assigned to skirmish your hunter minion.
While each companion is wounded, the move limit for this turn is -1.
"What about their legs? They look tasty. They won't be needing them."
R

[2] *Guthwine, For the Mark [Rohan]
Possession * Hand Weapon
Bearer must be Eomer.
He is damage +1.
You may play this possession at any time you could play a skirmish event.
When you play this possession, you may spot another hand weapon to liberate a site.
"The two swords flashed from the sheath as one."
R

[2] *Frodo, Favorite Nephew  [Shire]
Companion * Hobbit
Ringed-Resistance: 10
Ring-bearer. Ring-bound.
While the fellowship is in region 1, each time the fellowship moves, spot an unbound companion to remove a burden.
While the fellowship is in region 2, each time the fellowship moves, spot another Ring-bound companion to heal Frodo.
While the fellowship is in region 3, Frodo is strength +2.
R

[2] *Frodo's Cloak, Clever Disguise  [Shire]
Possession * Cloak
Bearer must be a Ring-bound Hobbit.
At the start of the Fellowship phase, you may exert bearer to name a site keyword. Until the end of the turn, when the fellowship moves to a site with that keyword, remove  [1].
Skirmish: Discard this possession to cancel a skirmish involving bearer. You may add 2 burdens to transfer this possession to another Ring-bound Hobbit instead.
R

[1] *Merry, Meriadoc Brandybuck  [Shire]
Companion * Hobbit
Resistance: 9
While the fellowship is in region 1, if you can spot 4  [Shire] companions, the move limit is +1.
While the fellowship is in region 2, if you can spot another unbound companion, Merry cannot be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
While the fellowship is in region 3, at the start of each skirmish involving Merry, each minion skirmishing Merry must exert.
R

[1] *Pippin, Peregrine Took  [Shire]
Companion * Hobbit
While the fellowship is in region 1, Pippin is strength +1 for each Ring-bound companion assigned to a skirmish.
While the fellowship is in region 2, if you can spot another unbound companion, Pippin cannot be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
While the fellowship is in region 3, Pippin is strength and resistance +2.
R

[2] *Sam, Samwise Gamgee  [Shire]
Companion * Hobbit
Resistance: 10
Ring-bound.
While the fellowship is in region 1, Sam is damage +1 and takes no more than 1 wound each skirmish.
While the fellowship is in region 2, each time the fellowship moves, you may spot two other Ring-bound companions to remove  [1].
While the fellowship is in region 3, Sam is strength +2 and unyielding.
R

[2] *Sting, Elven Blade [Shire]
Possession * Hand Weapon
Skirmish: If bearer is Bilbo, exert him to wound an Orc he is skirmishing.
If bearer is Frodo, each minion skirmishing him loses all damage bonuses and ambush.
If bearer is Sam, he is hunter 3.
R

[3] Advance Uruk-hai Regular [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Vitality: 2
Fierce. Hunter 1.
While you have initiative, this minion is damage +1.
Advance Uruks are lighter armed to allow for multiple, quick strikes as opposed to devastating blows.
C

[3] Advance Uruk-hai Scout [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
While you have initiative, this minion is strength +3 (or +5 if skirmishing an exhausted companion).
Lurtz's band of Uruk-hai included the most deft and alert.
C

[2] Advance Uruk-hai Soldier [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
While you have initiative, this minion cannot take wounds.
Uruk-hai troops need little rest.
C

[3] Advance Uruk-hai Tracker [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
While there are 2 characters in the dead pile, the Free Peoples player must have 2 additional cards in hand to have initiative.
The Uruk-hai rely on all their senses to track their prey.
C

[4] Advance Uruk-hai Warrior [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Strength: 10
Fierce. Hunter 1.
Each time this minion is assigned to a skirmish, the Free Peoples player must discard a random card from hand.
The Uruk-hai are a toughened, elite breed of Orc. Each individual is its own unique threat.
C

[4] Enraged Uruk-hai [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Strength: 9
Fierce. Hunter 1.
This minion is strength +2 for each character in the dead pile.
Willing to kill or be killed, Uruks are vicious combatants.
U

[2] Feral Uruk-hai [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
Each time this minion is assigned to a skirmish, the Free Peoples player must discard a random card from hand.
Intent on their prey, Uruk-hai will not stop the hunt.
C

[6] *Furious Uruk-hai [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Strength: 12
Fierce. Hunter 2.
Each time this minion kills a character in a skirmish, you may add [X], where X is that character's twilight cost.
A single Uruk warrior can be as deadly as an army of Orcs.
R

[3] *Lugdush [Uruk]
Halfling Guard
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
Assignment: If you have initiative or can spot 3 hunters, exert Lugdush to assign him to an unbound companion. The Free Peoples player may discard that companion to prevent this.
"‘They're not to be killed, unless the filthy whiteskins break through.'"
R

[4] Slaughtering Uruk-hai   [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
While there are 2 characters in the dead pile, this minion is strength +6.
An Uruk's willingness to fight does not come from a thirst to spill blood, but a need to enrich the spirit.
C

[3] Vicious Uruk-hai   [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
Since as men they were once great hunters, the hunt is the most thrilling sport for an Uruk-hai.
C

[1] What About Their Legs? [Uruk]
Condition * Support Area
Each time a character is killed in a skirmish involving an [Uruk] hunter, you may heal that minion.
Skirmish: Discard this condition to make an Uruk-hai strength +2 for each character in the dead pile.
"We've had nothing to eat but maggoty bread for three stinking days!"
C
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:40:42 PM by Craig_The_Scotsman »

July 28, 2011, 09:47:12 AM
Reply #1

Haszor

• Information Offline
  • Villager
Re: Random Thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:47:12 AM »
Welcome to the forums!  Most new sets have a mechanic and I've been thinking about one for a long time.  There are lurker minions who have to fight last but there aren't any minions that have to fight first.  You could try for a mechanic that does that and slap it on the Ravenous Cutthroat.

July 28, 2011, 04:59:23 PM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »
[2] *Frodo's Cloak, Clever Disguise  [Shire]
Possession * Cloak
Fellowship: Exert bearer to name a site keyword. Until the end of the turn, when the fellowship moves to a site with that keyword, remove  [1].
Skirmish: Discard this possession to cancel a skirmish involving bearer. You may add 2 burdens to transfer this possession to another Ring-bound Hobbit instead.
R
This should be an "At the start of the Fellowship phase" action...otherwise, you could exert him and move for, effectively, free.

If bearer is Frodo, each minion skirmishing him loses all damage bonuses and ambush.
R

I like the idea of making minions lose Ambush. Wow. That's very creative.
-wtk

July 28, 2011, 11:34:26 PM
Reply #3

gk1964

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »
If you are looking for a new keyword then how about Dread.

Some minions such Sauron, Nazgul, Saruman etc. should strike fear in to the heart of the opponent they are skirmishing.

So therefore a minion can be Dread X. Sauron would likely be Dread 4 while Nertea would be Dread 1. What does Dread do? A companion skirmishing a Dread X minion finds their resistance lowered by X for the duration of the skirmish.

Thranduil came up with a companion keyword of Unyielding which prevented a companion's resistance being affected by the burden count and we found it needed some kind of counter. So we came up with Dread.

We have playtested about 30 Dread cards which we have now incorporated into our deckbuilding. It does work rather well.

gk

July 29, 2011, 06:38:46 AM
Reply #4

Craig_The_Scotsman

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 06:38:46 AM »
[2] *Frodo's Cloak, Clever Disguise  [Shire]
Possession * Cloak
Fellowship: Exert bearer to name a site keyword. Until the end of the turn, when the fellowship moves to a site with that keyword, remove  [1].
R
This should be an "At the start of the Fellowship phase" action...otherwise, you could exert him and move for, effectively, free.

A once-per-turn action was the intent, so I've changed it now.

R

I like the idea of making minions lose Ambush. Wow. That's very creative.
-wtk

Thanks! I was looking for a tangible way to reflect Sting's luminescence at the approach of Orcish adversaries, and figured that losing ambush - the element of surprise, since you now know they're coming - was the best mechanical way to reflect that.

If you are looking for a new keyword then how about Dread.

Some minions such Sauron, Nazgul, Saruman etc. should strike fear in to the heart of the opponent they are skirmishing.

So therefore a minion can be Dread X. Sauron would likely be Dread 4 while Nertea would be Dread 1. What does Dread do? A companion skirmishing a Dread X minion finds their resistance lowered by X for the duration of the skirmish.

Thranduil came up with a companion keyword of Unyielding which prevented a companion's resistance being affected by the burden count and we found it needed some kind of counter. So we came up with Dread.

We have playtested about 30 Dread cards which we have now incorporated into our deckbuilding. It does work rather well.

gk

Thanks for the suggestion! Thematically, both dread and unyielding fit excellently with the tenor of block and certain cards I've made/have yet to make. I think I will incorporate both into the block (revision time)!

July 29, 2011, 06:45:51 AM
Reply #5

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 06:45:51 AM »
hold the train. did ket just dish out a compliment? somebody break out the fine ales...

July 29, 2011, 07:44:36 AM
Reply #6

Doom

• Information Offline
  • Troll
  • Master of Doom, by Doom mastered. (AKA doomkitty)
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 07:44:36 AM »
I think I need to make a new DC for you.

July 29, 2011, 07:55:58 AM
Reply #7

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 07:55:58 AM »
As long as it involves the Hunter keyword and ales, it's gonna be fine.

July 29, 2011, 09:53:52 AM
Reply #8

Craig_The_Scotsman

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 09:53:52 AM »
I've put up a few new cards in the original post (as I'll be doing from now own, with replies to serve as notice-updates on the 'spoiler').
These new cards represent two of the (many) cycles within my 'The Great Eye' set: A powerful cycle of The Three Hunters, and a rare cycle of all the main Hobbits (including Smeagol). The latter were inspired by Gandalf, Leader of the Company. I wanted to create versions of the Hobbits that represents their development over the story arc, and, realizing that there had been no versions of Merry, Pippin, or Sam that used their full names as subtitles, thought that 'over-arching' versions of these companions would be a perfect fit for those subtitles.
Enjoy!

July 29, 2011, 10:21:04 AM
Reply #9

Craig_The_Scotsman

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 10:21:04 AM »
Here's some themes and cycles you can expect to see arise in this set (and block) as I post more cards:
1) Initiative returns. All cultures will dabble with initiative, but Elves, Gondor, and Wraiths like it the most.
2) Tales. I missed this keyword, and there will be several cards throughout the block that reference them.
3) 'Friendship' cards. Cards like A Promise, but for other dynamic duos.
4) Elf-Friend. Dwarves have a 'Gimli the Elf-Friend' subtheme.
5) Toys. I wanted to be sure that, if this set, all the mains get every possession I think they deserve by the end of the game in a post-Move Block environment. I ended up making a lot of cloaks, strangely enough.

You'll note that I will have added hunter (which I view as a post-Movie Block version of tracker) and toil as supposed evergreen keywords to the sets. Also, since WOTR was supposed to have a 'Fellowship Block' feel and Hunters a 'Towers Block' feel (thought especially the latter failed in that regard), I tried to have King block resonate throughout this set (mostly through Shadow strategies, as those are the things that most noticeably change block-to-block). There are some reprint cards in the set as well. If you run across (Shadow) cards with familiar titles, it's probably because I stole those titles from cards in the Hunters block that I ousted (in DC land) in favor of more flavorful minions when I did a 'Hunters block redux' in my dream-card endeavors.

Hope you'll like what you see!

August 02, 2011, 03:59:53 PM
Reply #10

Craig_The_Scotsman

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:59:53 PM »
Some Free Peoples possessions and artifacts:

[2] *Axe of Erebor, Foe-Cleaver  [Dwarven]
Possession*Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is damage +1.
If bearer is Gimli and you have initiative, whenever he would assign a number of wounds to a minion in his skirmish greater than that minion's vitality, you may exert Gimli and discard a [Dwarven] event from hand to assign any unassigned wounds to a minion skirmishing a Dwarf or a hunter companion.
R

[2] *Asfaloth, White Fire [Elven]
Possession*Mount
Bearer must be an Elf or Frodo.
At the start of each skirmish involving bearer, each minion skirmishing bearer must exert.
While bearer is Arwen, Glorfindel, or Frodo and assigned to a skirmish, the Ring-bearer is strength and resistance +2.
R

[3] *Anduril, For the Dunedain [Gondor]
Artifact*Hand Weapon
Resistance: +1
Bearer must be Aragorn. He may not bear other weapons.
Bearer is unyielding.
Each time Aragorn wins a skirmish, discard all minions skirmishing him.
R

[3] *Hasufel [Gondor]
Possession*Mount
Bearer must be Aragorn.
At the start of each skirmish involving Aragorn, each minion he is skirmishing must exert.
While you can spot 2 other Free Peoples mounts, each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, you may draw a card for each hunter companion you can spot (limit three).
R

[2] *Guthwine, For the Mark [Rohan]
Possession*Hand Weapon
Bearer must be Eomer.
He is damage +1.
You may play this possession at any time you could play a skirmish event.
When you play this possession, you may spot another hand weapon to liberate a site.
R
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:58:15 AM by Craig_The_Scotsman »

August 05, 2011, 01:43:18 PM
Reply #11

Craig_The_Scotsman

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »
The first of two Uruk-hai sub-themes:

[3] Advance Uruk-hai Regular [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
While you have initiative, this minion is damage +1.
Advance Uruks are lighter armed to allow for multiple, quick strikes as opposed to devastating blows.
C

[3] Advance Uruk-hai Scout [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
While you have initiative, this minion is strength +3 (or +5 if skirmishing an exhausted companion).
Lurtz's band of Uruk-hai included the most deft and alert.
C

[2] Advance Uruk-hai Soldier [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
While you have initiative, this minion cannot take wounds.
Uruk-hai troops need little rest.
C

[3] Advance Uruk-hai Tracker [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
While there are 2 characters in the dead pile, the Free Peoples player must have 2 additional cards in hand to have initiative.
The Uruk-hai rely on all their senses to track their prey.
C

[4] Advance Uruk-hai Warrior [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
The Uruk-hai are a toughened, elite breed of Orc. Each individual is its own unique threat.
C

[4] Enraged Uruk-hai [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Strength: 9
Fierce. Hunter 1.
Willing to kill or be killed, Uruks are vicious combatants.
U

[2] Feral Uruk-hai [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
Intent on their prey, Uruk-hai will not stop the hunt.
C

[6] *Furious Uruk-hai [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Strength: 12
Fierce. Hunter 2.
Each time this minion kills a character in a skirmish, you may add [X], where X is that character's twilight cost.
A single Uruk warrior can be as deadly as an army of Orcs.
R

[3] *Lugdush [Uruk]
Halfling Guard
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
Assignment: If you have initiative or can spot 3 hunters, exert Lugdush to assign him to an unbound companion. The Free Peoples player may discard that companion to prevent this.
"‘They're not to be killed, unless the filthy whiteskins break through.'"
R

[4] Slaughtering Uruk-hai   [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
An Uruk's willingness to fight does not come from a thirst to spill blood, but a need to enrich the spirit.
C

[3] Vicious Uruk-hai   [Uruk]
Minion * Uruk-hai
Fierce. Hunter 1.
Since as men they were once great hunters, the hunt is the most thrilling sport for an Uruk-hai.
C

[1] What About Their Legs? [Uruk]
Condition * Support Area
Each time a character is killed in a skirmish involving an [Uruk] hunter, you may heal that minion.
Skirmish: Discard this condition to make an Uruk-hai strength +2 for each character in the dead pile.
"We've had nothing to eat but maggoty bread for three stinking days!"
C