LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: 2 Pretty straight forward questions...  (Read 3825 times)

March 23, 2010, 10:01:35 PM
Read 3825 times

BenY

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
2 Pretty straight forward questions...
« on: March 23, 2010, 10:01:35 PM »
Hi all,

Just need a little clarification for the group I play with,

Situation 1- Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien :

Each of 2 shadow players have 1 unwounded  minion in play and I assign 1 to Eowyn (with a horse on her) the minion exerts and I activate Eowyn's skirmish ability to have a player of my choice assign 1 wound.

Now the question is, can the player I select to assign that wound, wound another shadow players minion or must all wounds be assigned to minions he owns?

Situation 2 - Aragorn's Bow, Ranger's Longbow :

There are 2 minions of equal strength in play. Does someone get to choose which one I hit with the bow?

or;

Because there is no single distinguishable minion with the lowest (or highest) strength can I not use the bow?

Furthermore if the minion with the lowest strength cannot take wounds am I allowed to then choose the next lowest strength minion or is the wound simply wasted?

Thanks.

March 23, 2010, 11:45:32 PM
Reply #1

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Re: 2 Pretty straight forward questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:45:32 PM »
Situation 1 - The shadow player can assign wounds to any minions, not just the minions he owns.

Situation 2 - If two or more minions are tied for the lowest strength, The free peoples player chooses which minion to wound.

If Bill Ferny, AOS is bearing a pavise (assuming he's the lowest strength minion in play), you cannot use the special abilty on ranger's longbow, unless there is another minion in play with equal strength to Ferny that can take wounds during the archery phase.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:54:07 PM by MuadDib »

March 24, 2010, 03:52:33 AM
Reply #2

BenY

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:52:33 AM »
Too easy, thanks for that mate.

March 24, 2010, 05:53:55 AM
Reply #3

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:53:55 AM »
Situation 1- Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien :

Each of 2 shadow players have 1 unwounded  minion in play and I assign 1 to Eowyn (with a horse on her) the minion exerts and I activate Eowyn's skirmish ability to have a player of my choice assign 1 wound.

Now the question is, can the player I select to assign that wound, wound another shadow players minion or must all wounds be assigned to minions he owns?
The key point here: Eowyn says that the Shadow player must wound a minion, not a minion he or she owns.

Situation 2 - Aragorn's Bow, Ranger's Longbow :

There are 2 minions of equal strength in play. Does someone get to choose which one I hit with the bow?

or;

Because there is no single distinguishable minion with the lowest (or highest) strength can I not use the bow?

Furthermore if the minion with the lowest strength cannot take wounds am I allowed to then choose the next lowest strength minion or is the wound simply wasted?
A similar key point here: the bow says to wound a minion with the lowest strength. So you can choose if some are tied.

Thranduil

March 24, 2010, 07:47:10 AM
Reply #4

Elgar

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:47:10 AM »
If Bill Ferny, AOS is bearing a pavise (assuming he's the lowest strength minion in play), you cannot use the special abilty on ranger's longbow, unless there is another minion in play with equal strength to Ferny that can take wounds during the archery phase.

You can still use the ability, however no wound would be assigned.  Could be useful if you want/need threats.

March 24, 2010, 06:21:37 PM
Reply #5

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »

You can still use the ability, however no wound would be assigned.  Could be useful if you want/need threats.

I would love to know when/why you think adding threats for no reason is a good idea.

March 24, 2010, 06:29:38 PM
Reply #6

Sam, Great Elf Warrior

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 06:29:38 PM »
I would love to know when/why you think adding threats for no reason is a good idea.
Gimli's Battle Axe, TW
Aragorn, DbN
At His Command
Madril, DoO
Pippin, StS

It's pretty situational, but it can happen.

March 24, 2010, 07:08:54 PM
Reply #7

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 07:08:54 PM »
The only one of those cards that will see game time in a (decent) standard deck is Gimli's Axe, TW that would benefit (possibly) from adding threats with Gorn's bow without any effect, and only if you want the extra archery from the axe.

I suppose I should have added the words 'in standard' at the end of my last post. BenY isn't actually asking about standard, however I don't play expanded or open so can't comment on the threat situation there. What I am saying is that it is risky to be adding threats in standard without a good reason.

March 25, 2010, 01:34:41 AM
Reply #8

BenY

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 01:34:41 AM »
Yea we don't play any particular format, just avoid stupid broken mechanics and 'open' works fine.

Thanks for the comments though.