LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: "Killed" vs. "placed in the dead pile"  (Read 10335 times)

July 15, 2008, 11:18:43 AM
Read 10335 times

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
"Killed" vs. "placed in the dead pile"
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:18:43 AM »
I am positive this topic has been covered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it. So....

Rather than try and just explain my conundrum, I'll make it more interesting with a scenario. My starting fellowship includes Gandalf, Leader of Men. In my deck, I have a better version of Gandalf that I want to play. Prepared for this, I have two copies of Sent Back on the table. I discard one to use its text: "discard each minion skirmishing a Wizard; place that Wizard in your dead pile", discarding all minions skirmishing Gandalf and placing Gandalf in my dead pile. My plan is to use my remaining Sent Back to play my better Gandalf during the regroup phase.

My opponent, sniffing out my plan, has Grima, Footman of Saruman in play. He immediately jumps for joy, claiming he now gets to use Grima's ability: "Each time a Free Peoples character is killed, you may spot another [Men] minion to exert each companion." I argue that Gandalf has not been "killed", but instead "placed in my dead pile", and state that the two are seperate actions.

So, my question: who is right? Is being "placed in the dead pile" just a longer way of saying "killed"? Are the two identical, or seperate actions?

By the way, that scenario is bogus. What I'm REALLY wondering is if I can burn Theoden, Tall and Proud with Saved From The Fire (which also "places a companion in the dead pile") and grab an extra [Rohan] companion using Theoden's text. If so, I think I found a truly awesome combo. :twisted: And if not, I may just weep a little instead. :evil:
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 15, 2008, 12:10:37 PM
Reply #1

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: "Killed" vs. "placed in the dead pile"
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:10:37 PM »
"Placed in the dead pile" is the same as "Killed"

http://lotrtcg.fanhq.com/Resources/PDF/LOTR-rulescomp40.pdf

Page 10, Dead Pile, Last Sentence:

Killed Free Peoples characters are placed in your dead pile. The dead pile is separate from and next to your discard pile.
When you have a unique companion or ally in your dead pile, you cannot play another copy of that card, or any other card with the same title. You may play another copy of a non-unique card that is in your dead pile.
When game text instructs you to place a character in the dead pile, that character has been killed.

To answer your questions, both Grima and Theoden would work. Grima would be able to exert each of your other companions, and Theoden would be able to play a companion.

July 16, 2008, 09:26:08 AM
Reply #2

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:26:08 AM »
Following situation:

Gandalf Bearer of Obligation + Erland + Jarnsmid + Treebeard

I have got 3 threats. One copy of Radagast is in the dead pile.
I play borne far away. I place Treebeard from hand into the dead pile to take Radagast from the dead pile into hand...
Then I play Radagast.

Question 1: is Treebeard now dead? Have I to place the Treebeard in play now also in the dead pile?
Question 2: do the threats trigger now?

???
Mithrandir I am known to the Elves, Tharkun to the dwarves; Olorin was the name in my youth in the West which is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; into the East I will not go."

July 16, 2008, 09:32:37 AM
Reply #3

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:32:37 AM »
Not sure about the first question...tricky situation there. If a character is indeed killed when he/she is placed in the dead pile, though, then I don't see why the threats WOULDN'T trigger. So I'm 99% certain the answer to the second question is "yes".
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 16, 2008, 02:25:51 PM
Reply #4

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 02:25:51 PM »
Question 1: is Treebeard now dead? Have I to place the Treebeard in play now also in the dead pile?
It's like Schroedinger's tree, with a mixture of dead and alive states! :up:

You don't place the Treebeard in play in your dead pile because the rules don't instruct you to do so. However a copy of Treebeard is considered to be in the dead pile regardless of whether another copy is in play, so that counts for the Rule of 9 among other things.

Question 2: do the threats trigger now?
Not completely sure about this, but I think exchanging a card might be a special case. Seems like there's a difference between game text instructing you to place a character in the dead pile (e.g. Sent Back), and a character winding up in the dead pile some other way. The "game text instructing" part bothers me because it's like the rules are checking for a specific phrase ("place a character in the dead pile"), instead of simply saying a character that enters the dead pile through any method counts as being killed.

I'm thinking the threats don't trigger, but again it's not something I can say with certainty.

July 17, 2008, 01:25:18 AM
Reply #5

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 01:25:18 AM »
Threats dont trigger, its a swap/exchange, you are not placing anything in the dead pile. There was 1 card in it when you played bfa and there is still one in it when you finish and no1 has actually died.  :up:
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

July 17, 2008, 01:44:01 AM
Reply #6

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 01:44:01 AM »
How can it be, that Treebeard is in play and also in the dead pile?

does this count to the rule of nine? (it's a unique character) - it is in play - but also dead...  ???
Mithrandir I am known to the Elves, Tharkun to the dwarves; Olorin was the name in my youth in the West which is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; into the East I will not go."

July 17, 2008, 02:03:54 AM
Reply #7

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 02:03:54 AM »
I guess borne far away is like sent back. It is a card that allows circumnavigating the unique dead rule. It would count to the rule of 9, if you had treebeard out with 7 companions and a treebeard in the dead pile i would say you cant play anymore comps, but if treebeard then dies... im not sure how that would work... would 2 copies of him be in the dead pile adding to the rule of 9.....

Thats hard. Sorry Olorin i think you'll have to use your discretion.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

July 17, 2008, 02:35:49 AM
Reply #8

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 02:35:49 AM »
How can it be, that Treebeard is in play and also in the dead pile?
Because the rules don't say to discard a unique companion in play if a copy is in the dead pile. The rules do prevent you from playing a unique companion, but if it's already in play, then it'll stay in play.

does this count to the rule of nine? (it's a unique character) - it is in play - but also dead...  ???
The Rule of 9
You cannot have more than nine total companions in play and in your dead pile at any time. (Each copy of a companion in play or in your dead pile counts as a separate companion, whether it is unique or non-unique.)

The stuff in parentheses answers your question. As far as the Rule of 9 is concerned, they both count toward the total, regardless of whether one is in play and the other is in the dead pile, or if they both wind up in the dead pile. Basically each companion card in play and in the dead pile count toward the total.

Might not make the most storyline sense, but stranger things have happened. ;)

July 17, 2008, 04:46:01 AM
Reply #9

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 04:46:01 AM »
Hi,

thanks for answering...

...as far as I know, there is a trick with wizards and sent back:

if I have got 4 copies of Gandalf and 4 copies of Radagast in the dead pile, they count as two companions... because they are unique...  ??? (Only Radagast and Gandalf are dead - they are just two guys)... and not eight...  ???

July 17, 2008, 06:55:21 AM
Reply #10

Ulmo

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 06:55:21 AM »
As far as the Rule of 9 is concerned, there are 8 companions in the dead pile, which means you should only have the ring bearer in play.
Any other companions in play would be illegal.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who know binary and those who don't.
You don't have a backpack. What you have there is an invisible leather TARDIS.

July 17, 2008, 07:08:03 AM
Reply #11

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 07:08:03 AM »
This is what makes cards like Falls of Rauros so valuable. :up:
Best regards,
Dáin

July 23, 2008, 02:24:14 PM
Reply #12

Kralik

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 02:24:14 PM »
This is what makes cards like Falls of Rauros so valuable. :up:

Is "out of play" a different stack than dead/discarded? I'm not too familiar with this terminology... although I noticed a lot of the newer cards (say, Southfarthing Leaf) use "discard ... from play"

July 23, 2008, 04:29:47 PM
Reply #13

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 04:29:47 PM »
"Discarding from play" is very different to "placing out of play". The former is equivalent to simply discarding (the "from play" being technically superfluous, but put in every now and again to make it clear). The latter is equivalent to removing from the game, EDIT: which Anvar has kindly explained below!

Thranduil
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:31:18 PM by Thranduil »

July 23, 2008, 04:30:25 PM
Reply #14

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 04:30:25 PM »
Discard from play, means put in the discard pile. The words "from play" are not strictly necessary since the default for the "discard" in LotR is from play, but in later sets Decipher added it because they thought it added clarity.

Removing a card from play is something else entirely, see cards like Kindreds Estranged. Removing a card from the game means it is not in your draw deck, discard pile, or dead pile. It is in a new place called being removed from the game. Currently, there are no ways of returning a card to the game that has been removed from it.

Hope that helps.

UPDATED - just noticed that Falls of Rauros uses different terminology to Kindreds Estranged... Silly decipher.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

July 23, 2008, 04:58:21 PM
Reply #15

Kralik

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 04:58:21 PM »
Good, that's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure... Why did Decipher muddy the waters with adding "from play" to "discard" ???

July 24, 2008, 10:24:35 AM
Reply #16

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 10:24:35 AM »
Believe it or not, I think they were trying to clear the waters!

In Magic, for example, discard always means from hand.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

July 27, 2008, 02:03:58 AM
Reply #17

CarpeGuitarrem

• Information Offline
  • Lord
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 02:03:58 AM »
Schroedinger's Ent...that's a good one.

July 27, 2008, 12:19:11 PM
Reply #18

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »
Maybe I missed something but Decipher also stated that the default meaning of "discard" was to discard from hand
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

July 27, 2008, 12:45:27 PM
Reply #19

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 12:45:27 PM »
Uh... that's incorrect. The default meaning of discard is "from play." See Blood Runs Chill.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

July 27, 2008, 01:49:56 PM
Reply #20

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 01:49:56 PM »
Sorry typo I meant from play, I had just read the CRD to double check
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

October 23, 2012, 07:44:46 AM
Reply #21

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 07:44:46 AM »
I suspect I know the answer to this, but let's see what you guys think:

Let's say I use Saved from the Fire and target a [Gondor] Wraith, to place that Wraith in the dead pile.

THEN I use Elessar's Edict, which states "If a [Gondor] Wraith is about to be killed, discard him and exhaust another [Gondor] Wraith instead."

Have I just prevented paying the cost for Saved from the Fire, and thus also prevented myself from using Saved from the Fire's effect? Or was the cost transformed from one thing to another thing?
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

October 23, 2012, 07:47:01 AM
Reply #22

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 07:47:01 AM »
Yes, you have prevented the cost, meaning SFTF wouldn't be able to pull any cards.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.