LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The Hunt for Gollum - DC Set (DISCONTINUED)  (Read 56253 times)

August 03, 2010, 09:59:18 PM
Reply #105

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: The Hunt for Gollum - DC Set (Aragorn as a Tracker?)
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2010, 09:59:18 PM »
[1] Battle is comming [Elven]
Event • Skirmish
Make an Elf strength +2 (or +4 if skirmishing a tracker).

Card title is a quote from the movie.

[1] Nazgul Gauntlets [Wraith]
Possession • Gauntlets
Vitality: +1
Bearer must be a Nazgul.
While skirmishing a character who is bearing an hand weapon, bearer is strength +1.

It makes reference to the Nazgul in the fight scene with Aragorn that blocks his sword attack with his gauntlet.

[1] Kinsmen from Afar [Gondor]
Condition
Bearer must be a [Gondor] man. Bearer is a tracker.

I'm not sure about this one, should I take this FP tracker idea further? I've decided to keep that Aragorn. Perhaps I could make it unique, or make it 'Bearer is a ranger.'

[2] •Allegiance to the Seven Stars and Seven Stones [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, each opponent may search their draw deck for a Shadow artifact, reveal it and take it into hand.
While [Gondor] is the only culture you can spot in your fellowship (except the Ring-bearer), each [Gondor] man is defender +1.

The first line is a reference to the Palantir of Orthanc being one of the seven stones. 'In your fellowship' means companion (or companion and allies) only, right?

August 05, 2010, 04:53:45 PM
Reply #106

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2010, 04:53:45 PM »
[2] New Breeds of Orc [Isengard]
Condition • Support Area
Shadow: Discard an Orc from your hand to take an Uruk-Hai into hand from your discard pile.

Do you think that Dabgash is an Uruk-Hai? He is a tall black orc and looks like Shagrat.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:57:21 PM by Cw0rk »

August 09, 2010, 04:15:05 PM
Reply #107

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2010, 04:15:05 PM »
Once again, I'm trying to make the [Elven] culture playable on it's own in FOTR Block.

[1] Forests of Mirkwood [Elven]
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves, you may spot 3 [Elven] allies to make a minion strength -2 until the end of the turn.

Let me explain the next one. At Mount Doom, Frodo is corrupted and Sméagol steal the One Ring from him (second line), making him the RB. If the RB would die, Sméagol would love to get the Ring from him (third line) but would get instantly corrupted by it (first line).

(0) •Sméagol, The Former Owner of the Ring [Gollum] FP
Companion
Strength: 3
Vitaltiy: 4
Signet: Gandalf
To play, add a burden.
Response: If the Ring-bearer is corrupted, place him or her in the dead pile instead.
Response: If the Ring-bearer dies, make Sméagol the Ring-bearer (resistance 1). Add a burden at the end of the turn.

This one is a 'burden' version of Intimidate, it would work well with the previously made Sméagol.

[2] Interrogate [Gandalf]
Event • Response
Search. Spell.
If any number of burdens is about to be added, spot Gandalf to prevent this.

EDIT on previously posted:

Making Ottar a ranger. :D

[1] •Kinsmen from Afar [Gondor]
Condition
Plays on a Man.
Bearer is a ranger.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:05:24 PM by Cw0rk »

August 09, 2010, 06:18:00 PM
Reply #108

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: The Hunt for Gollum - DC Set (Ottar as a Ranger?)
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
[1] Sack [Gollum] Shadow
Possession • Support Area
Shadow:: Take a card stacked here into hand (limit 1).
At the end of each turn during which the fellowship did not move more than once, stack a [Gollum] stealth card from your discard pile here.

Edit on this one:

[3] Murderously Protective of It [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Shadow
Spot Gollum to prevent the Ring-bearer from putting the One Ring until the end of the regroup phase. The Free Peoples player may add 3 burdens to prevent this.

(0) Shhhh! [Gollum]
Event • Response
Stealth.
If the Free Peoples player plays an event or uses a special ability, spot Gollum to cancel its effect.

[2] We'll put out it's eyes! [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Response
If the Free Peoples player chooses to move during the regroup phase, spot Gollum to wound a companion twice (except the Ring-bearer).

[3] We'll wring it's filthy neckses! [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Response
If the Free Peoples player chooses to move during the regroup phase, spot Gollum to exhaust a companion.

[4] Orc Investigator [Sauron]
Minion • Orc
Strength: 10
Vitality: 2
Site Number: 6
While the Free Peoples player has no cards in his or her hand, the move limit is -1.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:56:43 PM by Cw0rk »

August 09, 2010, 08:30:20 PM
Reply #109

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: The Hunt for Gollum - DC Set (Ottar as a Ranger?)
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2010, 08:30:20 PM »
This site will make Tentacles playable in FOTR Block. Basically, you play a tentacle and then shuffle another one from your discard pile into your draw deck and play it back until all tentacles have been played. It may sound powerful, but if keep in mind that if that attack fail, you may lose the game.

7 Gladden Fields [6]
Marsh.
Each time a character is played at Gladden Fields, its owner may shuffle a card of that character's culture from his discard pile into his draw deck.

Here is another funky card:

(0) •The Password of the Dúnedain [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
Each time a minion is played, you may spot Aragorn to make that minion fierce until the regroup phase.
Each time a minion is played, you may spot Arithir to make that minion damage +1 until the regroup phase.

The question some of you might ask is, why in the #$&*@! would I want to do that?!? Tales need to be added to make tale decks possibles. But the real answer is Sentinels of Numenor and this previously made DC:

(0) Strength of the Forefathers [Gondor]
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Gondor] companion strength +2 (or +4 while skirmishing a minion with a damage bonus).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:53:41 PM by Cw0rk »

August 12, 2010, 09:39:31 AM
Reply #110

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: The Hunt for Gollum - DC Set (Tentacles are now playable)
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2010, 09:39:31 AM »
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Gondor] companion strength +2 (or +4 while skirmishing a minion with a damage bonus).

Battle Cry ?

August 12, 2010, 03:33:20 PM
Reply #111

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2010, 03:33:20 PM »
Event • Skirmish
Thanx for showing me that. I guess that I could still keep it that way, unless I have a better idea. Otherwise, I'd have to modify The Password of the Dunedain as well.

Battle Cry ?

August 13, 2010, 12:36:05 AM
Reply #112

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2010, 12:36:05 AM »
I'm not sure which card is better, probably yours, so I'm just fearing the power level increases a bit... if your card existed it would be one of the first choices for any Gondor Pump: perfect against Uruks and also some other dmg+1 minions (there's a lot of them). But I still like your idea! :up:

August 15, 2010, 04:47:10 AM
Reply #113

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: The Hunt for Gollum - DC Set (See first post for up-to-date cardlist)
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2010, 04:47:10 AM »
[2] His Knowledge is his Strength [Gandalf]
Event • Skirmish
Make Gandalf strength +1 for each card in your hand.
I like it! Straight top-down flavour.

[2] Tracks like those of a Hobbit [Shire]
Condition • Support Area
Search.
Skirmish: Discard a [Shire] stealth card from hand to make a companion with the Frodo signet strength +2.
This seems quite powerful. Not sure I think this should be a card.

[2] Sméagol's Song [Gollum] FP
Event • Maneuver
Tale.
Make Sméagol strength -X until the regroup phase to make Aragorn or Gandalf strength +X until the regroup phase.
You could just make Sméagol strength -205003446362788 with this card couldn't you in order that Aragorn could get the bonus? Not sure of this idea.

[4] •Úlairë Lemenya, Rider in Black [Wraith]
Minion • Nazgul
Strength: 9
Site Number: 2
Tracker.
Each time the Free Peoples player plays a stealth card, add a burden or play a [Wraith] search card from your discard pile.
I think you should return it to your hand, not play the card straight off. And actually, I think just the burden adding is good and cool enough.

[2] Bree Ruffian [Isengard]
Minion • Man
Strength: 6
While you can spot an [Isengard] Orc or an Uruk-Hai, the Ring-bearer's resistance is -1.
I was okay with the first one, but having 2 sets of non-unique minions that reduce the RB's resistance? Seems ridiculous to me.

[5] •Goblok, Orc Chief [Sauron]
Minion • Orc
Vitality: 4
Damage +1. Fierce.
Goblok may bear any hand weapon, regardless of the requirements.
?R???
It's a cool idea. I might limit it to [Sauron] hand weapons, and hand weapon possessions seems like a good idea to me.

[4] •Aragorn, Son of Arathorn
Companion • Man
Strength: 8
Signet: Frodo
Ranger. Tracker.
Each tracker is strength +2.
?P???
I think he's too easy. And why would be boost your opponent's trackers? Doesn't make any flavour sense.

[2] Bree Ruffian [Isengard]
Minion • Man
Strength: 6
The roaming penalty for each [Isengard] minion you play is -1 for each burden you can spot.
This is better. But I'm not a huge fan.

(0) Murderously Protective of It [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Response
If the Ring-bearer is assigned to a skirmish, play Gollum at twilight cost -2 from your discard pile or hand to make the Ring-bearer lose all strength bonus from the One Ring until the regroup phase.
"... bonuses..." otherwise a fun card.

[1] Battle is comming [Elven]
Event • Skirmish
Make an Elf strength +2 (or +4 if skirmishing a tracker).
Sure it's okay. Not hugely exciting, but okay.

[1] Nazgul Gauntlets [Wraith]
Possession • Gauntlets
Vitality: +1
Bearer must be a Nazgul.
While skirmishing a character who is bearing an hand weapon, bearer is strength +1.
Sure.

[1] Kinsmen from Afar [Gondor]
Condition
Bearer must be a [Gondor] man. Bearer is a tracker.
I don't think you should keep FP trackers. What's the point? They have ranger. Ranger and tracker are essentially the same idea, it's just that rangers are FP and trackers are SH. If they no longer have that distinction, then there's no point having both keywords.

[2] •Allegiance to the Seven Stars and Seven Stones [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, each opponent may search their draw deck for a Shadow artifact, reveal it and take it into hand.
While [Gondor] is the only culture you can spot in your fellowship (except the Ring-bearer), each [Gondor] man is defender +1.
Giving everyone defender +1 is I'm afraid too ridiculous. Damage +1, sure.

[2] New Breeds of Orc [Isengard]
Condition • Support Area
Shadow: Discard an Orc from your hand to take an Uruk-Hai into hand from your discard pile.
I like it! Though I think there ought to be a small twilight cost associated with it each time, like removing [1]. You could also then bring the cost of the card down to [1].

[1] Forests of Mirkwood [Elven]
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves, you may spot 3 [Elven] allies to make a minion strength -2 until the end of the turn.
Seems alright.

(0) •Sméagol, The Former Owner of the Ring [Gollum] FP
Companion
Strength: 3
Vitaltiy: 4
Signet: Gandalf
To play, add a burden.
Response: If the Ring-bearer is corrupted, place him or her in the dead pile instead.
Response: If the Ring-bearer dies, make Sméagol the Ring-bearer (resistance 1). Add a burden at the end of the turn.
Goofy card, and fun. But any signet other than Frodo makes no sense on Sméagol.

[2] Interrogate [Gandalf]
Event • Response
Search. Spell.
If any number of burdens is about to be added, spot Gandalf to prevent this.
I would phrase it as "If any number of burdens are about to be added by a Shadow card, spot Gandalf to prevent that".

[1] •Kinsmen from Afar [Gondor]
Condition
Plays on a Man.
Bearer is a ranger.
Much better.

[3] Murderously Protective of It [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Shadow
Spot Gollum to prevent the Ring-bearer from putting the One Ring until the end of the regroup phase. The Free Peoples player may add 3 burdens to prevent this.
I liked the other version, but this one better.

(0) Shhhh! [Gollum]
Event • Response
Stealth.
If the Free Peoples player plays an event or uses a special ability, spot Gollum to cancel its effect.
Great, but I might make it cost [1] or exert.

[2] We'll put out it's eyes! [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Response
If the Free Peoples player chooses to move during the regroup phase, spot Gollum to wound a companion twice (except the Ring-bearer).
Not sure about wounding twice, seems too good. Even once is powerful.

[3] We'll wring it's filthy neckses! [Gollum] Shadow
Event • Response
If the Free Peoples player chooses to move during the regroup phase, spot Gollum to exhaust a companion.
Now you definitely don't need and probably shouldn't have both cards.

[4] Orc Investigator [Sauron]
Minion • Orc
While the Free Peoples player has no cards in his or her hand, the move limit is -1.
Awesome! I love this guy. I might steal that theme...

7 Gladden Fields [6]
Marsh.
Each time a character is played at Gladden Fields, its owner may shuffle a card of that character's culture from his discard pile into his draw deck.
I wouldn't put this in only for tentacles. After all, what have the Gladden Fields got to do with tentacles? Give it a text that makes flavour sense for what the Gladden Fields actually are (ie. the place Isildur was killed), and then see if that flavour can help the tentacle strategy.

(0) •The Password of the Dúnedain [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
Each time a minion is played, you may spot Aragorn to make that minion fierce until the regroup phase.
Each time a minion is played, you may spot Arithir to make that minion damage +1 until the regroup phase.
Cool. I might want you to add [1] to use the ability, but I'm not sure. Making people fierce is particularly good anyway, because you can beat them twice and cause double damage.

As for the better than Battle Cry, why not just make it cost [1]?

Thranduil

August 15, 2010, 09:52:18 AM
Reply #114

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2010, 09:52:18 AM »
Thanx for your comments! I'll give you my thoughts on some of them when I'll have time. Most of them are really good, especialy the one where you suggest cost changes.

Before continuing this set, I'll try to get an hand on Unfinished Tales and read the chapter 'The Hunt for the Ring'. It might gives me some card name ideas.

August 15, 2010, 11:44:21 AM
Reply #115

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2010, 11:44:21 AM »
Well, I read a book one year ago, just a special edition where most of Tolkien's scripts are put in together, also with some notes from his son,. I don't know if you know about the book... *types the German title in wikipedia, then translates to English*
...dang I see it's exactly the same book I've been talking about. Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth. Very nice book. Yeah, there's abut about the Hunt for Gollum, basically how Aragron was tracking him for a very long time, then lost him somewhere... then found him a couple of years later... I don't know if you all read this book but if  not, I'd definitely recommend it.

But I'm not sure how much it would help you with your DC, Cw0rk. The Hunt for Gollum is just a small part. A bigger part is taken by stories about Numenor and about the hobbit, like three different versions why and how Thorin went to the Shire looking for a companion etc.

August 15, 2010, 05:13:48 PM
Reply #116

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2010, 05:13:48 PM »
For Tracks like those of a Hobbit, I've changed the card and forgot to post the update. It gives a use to FP search cards, and could be played with the TT Block Frodo signet stuff. I also like the idea of packing 4 of these in a deck and discard the useless one to exert minions later.

Condition • Support Area
Search.
Skirmish: Discard a Free Peoples search card from hand to exert a minion skirmishing a companion with the Frodo signet.

For Sméagol's Song, isn't there a rule that prevent reducing a character strength lower than 0? Or maybe there would be a better way to reword this card. I like the ability, I would like to keep it.

For Goblok, why would I limit it to [Sauron] weapons only? He can bear all of them already. Perhaps that his text isn't clear enough, I didn't say that he could bear 'any NUMBER of'. By the way, I've changed his stats and keywords to this:

Minion • Orc
Strength: 11
Goblok may bear any hand weapon possession, regardless of the requirements.
?R???

I changed Lemenya to this, which version do you prefer?:

Minion • Nazgul
Tracker.
The shadow number of each site is +2.

Regarding Aragorn and Gandalf signets on Smeagol, I thought that it would be fun to do this because Frodo isn't even in this story and Aragorn and Gandalf interacts with him.

The reason why I gave 'tracker' to Aragorn is pretty obvious when it comes to the movie. The strength bonus... well... I've just thought that a game text involving the tracker keyword would be nice due to the fact that there won't be other FP cards helping FP trackers. If you have some other suggestions, feel free to post them.

Concerning the Gollum response events, I just want this culture to slow down fellowships. It makes sense because Aragorn as to carry him all the way to Mirkwood. Perhaps that I should make the twilight cost of these cards higher. I like the 'wound twice' because of the 2 eyeballs.

Concerning Battle Cry, I don't know if I should make it cost [1] as all [Gondor] FOTR pumps cost 0.

All your other comments will be used to improve my cards. Thanks!

Well, I read a book one year ago, just a special edition where most of Tolkien's scripts are put in together, also with some notes from his son,. I don't know if you know about the book... *types the German title in wikipedia, then translates to English*
...dang I see it's exactly the same book I've been talking about. Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth. Very nice book. Yeah, there's abut about the Hunt for Gollum, basically how Aragron was tracking him for a very long time, then lost him somewhere... then found him a couple of years later... I don't know if you all read this book but if  not, I'd definitely recommend it.

But I'm not sure how much it would help you with your DC, Cw0rk. The Hunt for Gollum is just a small part. A bigger part is taken by stories about Numenor and about the hobbit, like three different versions why and how Thorin went to the Shire looking for a companion etc.
I'll just read the chapter on the Hunt, I know this book contains many other stuff.

August 15, 2010, 10:14:32 PM
Reply #117

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2010, 10:14:32 PM »

Condition • Support Area
Search.
Skirmish: Discard a Free Peoples search card from hand to exert a minion skirmishing a companion with the Frodo signet.

Cool, I like it, especially when combined with cards like PATHS and Mind Your Own Affairs

Minion • Orc
?R???

He can bear Troll's Chain and Sceptre of the Dark Lord now, pretty cool stuff.

Minion • Nazgul
Tracker.

I'm not sure, this card could be used with Orkish Scout and Sirannon Ruins to make a pretty badass Swarm at an early site which could be reused with Site manipulation and Goblin Hordes each turn. I think making Lemenya fierce and changing the ability to "+1" would make the card much more balanced and more "Nazgul-like".

August 15, 2010, 10:26:09 PM
Reply #118

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2010, 10:26:09 PM »
Minion • Orc
?R???

He can bear Troll's Chain and Sceptre of the Dark Lord now, pretty cool stuff.

Minion • Nazgul
Tracker.

I'm not sure, this card could be used with Orkish Scout and Sirannon Ruins to make a pretty badass Swarm at an early site which could be reused with Site manipulation and Goblin Hordes each turn. I think making Lemenya fierce and changing the ability to "+1" would make the card much more balanced and more "Nazgul-like".
Goblok can't wear the Sceptre, its an artifact. Concerning Lemenya, thanks again for pointing that out. However, while I'm making these, I'm focusing on FOTR Block cards that already exist, and Movie Block stuff as well. You won't face this problem unless you play expanded. But still, it's a very good comment, I'll think about it.

I've updated the first post and applied several of Thranduil tips, no major changes other than that. There are some cards that I haven't changed yet, but I'll think about it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:36:20 PM by Cw0rk »

September 27, 2010, 03:24:38 PM
Reply #119

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: The Hunt for Gollum - DC Set (DISCONTINUED)
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2010, 03:24:38 PM »
This project is discontinued until further notice due to a lack of free time and my preference to invest my free time in other activities.