LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Followers Returning to the Support Area  (Read 12248 times)

October 21, 2009, 04:19:08 PM
Reply #15

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Followers Returning to the Support Area
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 04:19:08 PM »
me too.  Pink elephants, didn't the simpsons have some joke about that
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd

October 25, 2009, 01:54:20 AM
Reply #16

Ranhothep

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 01:54:20 AM »
Hey guys, I have another question regarding the followers. Is it possible to pay the aid cost and transfer a follower from a companion to another? The aid text doesnt specify, where the follower has to be in order to be transferred to another companion... thanx in advance

October 25, 2009, 03:39:55 AM
Reply #17

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 03:39:55 AM »
No - it has to come from your support area. Sometimes those helper texts don't contain all the information (such as for toil which does not specify on the cards that you can only exert your own characters).

Thranduil

October 26, 2009, 01:32:09 AM
Reply #18

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 01:32:09 AM »
Hey guys, I have another question regarding the followers. Is it possible to pay the aid cost and transfer a follower from a companion to another? The aid text doesnt specify, where the follower has to be in order to be transferred to another companion... thanx in advance

The followers are played to your support area, and are given the text: at the start. That implies a single action only.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

October 26, 2009, 06:54:22 AM
Reply #19

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 06:54:22 AM »
The rulebook is not clear on this, although it seems to agree with Thranduil's assessment.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

October 27, 2009, 05:52:16 AM
Reply #20

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 05:52:16 AM »
No - it has to come from your support area. Sometimes those helper texts don't contain all the information (such as for toil which does not specify on the cards that you can only exert your own characters).

Thranduil

Disagree.

If the free peoples player double moves you CAN transfer a follower from one character to another at the start of the next manuever phase.

Eg. First manuever phase transfer woodhall elf to legolas, draw 3 cards, then choose to double move and at the next site you can transfer woodhall elf from legolas to galadriel at the start of the next manuever phase and draw another 3 cards.

No where does it say that followers have to be transfered from your support area.. Only that it has to be the start of manuever phase.

October 27, 2009, 06:40:38 AM
Reply #21

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 06:40:38 AM »
I think maudi is correct but you can only transfer once at the start of maneuver so you could transfer woodhall elf from legolas to galadriel but not back to legolas
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

October 27, 2009, 07:41:27 AM
Reply #22

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 07:41:27 AM »
As I understand it, followers can't be transferred from one character to another via aid keyword. I see "you may pay the aid cost to transfer that follower to your companion" as an explanation of how to get it out of your support area. Otherwise I'm thinking "between" would've been added as well (the kind of wording used in the transfer entry).

October 27, 2009, 10:32:46 AM
Reply #23

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 10:32:46 AM »
I completely agree with ES. I am 99.9% certain that the aid cost transfers followers only from your support area - this is how I've been playing it and how everyone I know has always played it.

Thranduil

October 27, 2009, 05:08:48 PM
Reply #24

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 05:08:48 PM »
I believe you guys are wrong on this one.

It does not say anywhere that aid has anything to do with your support area..
Nor does it say that followers must be transferred from your support area..

All that it states is that you must pay the aid cost at the start of the manuever phase (Which there is only one of unless you double move.

Please show me some text saying otherwise.. Because I don't think there is anything written that backs up your claims..

October 27, 2009, 05:33:13 PM
Reply #25

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 05:33:13 PM »
Then again.. There is nothing that says you can transfer from companion to companion if you double move either.. So once again decipher have let us down.

It does say that followers can NOT bear other cards including possessions and conditions.. So where does that leave whispers in the dark? Another useless card like frenzy of arrows?

My side of the transfering from companion to companion debate comes from Smallman who prides himself on being one of the only people to know all of the rules properly, and I have seen him do it with woodhall elf to draw the extra 3 cards when double moving.. I did question him at the time and he assured me that it was allowed..

The Jord's post above is the closest thing we have to a definative ruling: the rulebook is not clear.

October 27, 2009, 05:57:29 PM
Reply #26

RedGoldStag

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 05:57:29 PM »
The most relevant information I could find is this quote from the "Aid" entry on page 38 of the Hunters starter rulebook:

"The follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter how often your fellowship moves."

Certainly not indisputable (especially given contradictions like the whole "followers can't bear other cards" vs. Whisper in the Dark issue), but I think this supports the "no transferring from companion to companion" argument.

October 27, 2009, 06:08:46 PM
Reply #27

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 06:08:46 PM »
The most relevant information I could find is this quote from the "Aid" entry on page 38 of the Hunters starter rulebook:

"The follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter how often your fellowship moves."

Certainly not indisputable (especially given contradictions like the whole "followers can't bear other cards" vs. Whisper in the Dark issue), but I think this supports the "no transferring from companion to companion" argument.

I just looked at that too, but I'm not sure it's conclusive enough to solidify an argument (as you said).  The problem is, this excerpt you referenced falls under the, "If the rules and the cards argue, go with the cards" rule.  I mean, if we didn't go by that rule, then the excerpt you referenced would make it so Sam, Bearer of Great Need couldn't use his ability.  Sam is an example of the cards trumping the rules.

Similarly, since all followers say "Do X to transfer this to a companion," they've got text built-in that tells you to ignore the "... borne by the companion for the rest of the turn" line.  The rule is saying that a Follower stays until the end of the turn, but both Sam's text and the text on every Follower are saying, "Actually, we have an exception to that."

Basically, it's been established that this is something Decipher should have covered in a CRD, but didn't.  Since there's no official ruling on it, we can only go by what we know, no matter how wrong it may seem:

1.  The cards say you can transfer them at the start of the maneuver phase.

2.  The cards never say that they can't be transferred from one companion to another.

3.  The cards never specify that the transfer even comes from the support area in the first place.

4.  The rulebook never indicates that followers must be transferred from the support area.

Honestly, I think that followers weren't intended to transfer from one companion to the next.  But going purely by what information we have, it would seem that it's technically legal, as there's not any actual evidence telling us that we can't -- only a "hunch" that many of us have.

October 27, 2009, 06:20:44 PM
Reply #28

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 06:20:44 PM »
Checked the CC forums, and it was ruled there that transferring in the next maneuver phase was allowed (threads here and here). I guess technically legal is the way to go here.

October 28, 2009, 12:50:04 AM
Reply #29

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 12:50:04 AM »
I can't find a comprehensive rules entry on followers, but I think the Hunters starter rulebook is actually very clear on this issue:

Quote from: Hunters Starter Rulebook
Aid
This keyword has the form of "Aid – X," where "X" is the cost to use the aid keyword. You use the aid keyword as a maneuver action. At the start of the maneuver phase, you may pay the aid cost to transfer that follower to your companion. Place it beneath the card, just like a possession or condition borne by that companion. The follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter how often your fellowship moves. You don't have to pay the aid cost again for a follower borne by a companion in a subsequent maneuver phase.
This seems very obviously to suggest that you can't transfer followers between companions.

Thranduil