LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: New league  (Read 5302 times)

November 18, 2009, 12:56:09 PM
Read 5302 times

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
New league
« on: November 18, 2009, 12:56:09 PM »
I think a good way to get the PC going would be to start up the LOTR leagues again.

As we are talking about going back to FotR, I think we should start FotR leagues, with drafts and constructed play.

I would like to get a tournament organised in Europe, with FierceTCG and any other europeans who can help muster some support
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

November 18, 2009, 01:15:58 PM
Reply #1

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: New league
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 01:15:58 PM »
Can you remind me again how FoTR leagues work? I didn't spend much time palying tournaments but was aware of them. Did they not come with promo cards? How will we deal with lack of availability of cards from Fellowship Block as RotEL is sold out and I didn't see much of MoM either. Do you see this as an issue? Players can still access unopened packs, but will this impact draft play?

If I am going to attempt to get LOTR tournaments going in my area I will need some advice on format if anyone can help. Should I just get a box of FoTR and go from there - keep it simple. Of starters perhaps. I have heaps of experience running Star Trek and Star Wars tournaments, but never run a LOTR tournament.

Any advice appreciated!

November 18, 2009, 03:17:54 PM
Reply #2

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:17:54 PM »
When I get home I will access the old sites that have how to run leagues.

For drafting, I know I personally own 1000's of c/u, and if we have people willing to donate that we be a huge help. You can still buy Fellowship draft pack boxes online, and starters are around most places. RotEL is available but requires extra time and (unfortunately) money. Money is the major issue, as who will be footing the bill to purchase all the product in drafts? Constructed may be easier for this reason.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

November 20, 2009, 03:33:32 AM
Reply #3

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 03:33:32 AM »
Assume we get everything in place to create Hi-Res pdfs of LOTR cards - and we get templates to modify cards - and we get organised enough to start tournaments again .....

Who thinks it would it be possible to select a card from FotR, MoM, RofEL expansion that has errata - modify the card - add an alternate image - put a disclaimer on the card saying it is in no way affiliated with Decipher, NL, etc - and email this to tournament directors who can then go to a professional printer and have them printed in high quality, on card for issue to players as tournament support. The aim is to attract players to tournaments and the selection of a Fellowship block card is because it is the most likely format to be used to get tournments going again.

The TD must let players know that the cards is in no way endorsed by Decipher, etc but they will allow the card to be used at any of their tournaments provided the player play with coloured sleeves. And it is in no way an official product (so is valueless).

That way we will have tournament support - but it will not be recognised by this site, etc.

Do you think this is still risky?

November 21, 2009, 02:20:20 AM
Reply #4

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 02:20:20 AM »
Copyright ????

Star Trek CCG has a dream card program where you can design your own card. The only disclaimer on these cards is :
STCCG Dream Card. No copyright.
I have attached one as a sample.

These cards are all over the net - why are we so worried about copyright on this site? The answer is obvious, but if one license can manage it then why not the other? What is actually required to beat copyright (there is no profit in the Star Trek cards - is that all that matters?)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:22:07 AM by chompers »

November 23, 2009, 12:11:22 AM
Reply #5

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 12:11:22 AM »
It's a good point Ket, BUT maybe it can be done. Are we just too scared? In the event of legal action what happens - they say remove them from the site or we will sue you. So ...... we remove them from the site (if we even issue them that way)! They can't sue for lost revenue because we have made none. That said I am no legal expert.

Interesting forum over on the Star Trek website about copyright
http://www.trekcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6391

Seems the feeling is that new cards can be produced provided they are 'not-for-profit'. Care needs to be taken in doing so. Comes under the copyright of 'fair-use'. If Star Trek can do it so can we. We will need a .org site to be not-for-profit and I am looking into it OR will need to issue the .pdfs of v-cards, errata cards, promo cards (or whatever the PC produces) another way - perhaps by torrent?

I have every intention of producing v-cards and errata cards soon - but it will be with my own playing group. I am working on templates, etc to get it up and running, may be ready after christmas. On the other hand, perhaps the PC will get going and someone with more experience can get a PC going - we are so missing out!

November 24, 2009, 03:07:26 PM
Reply #6

Kralik

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 03:07:26 PM »
It's a good point Ket, BUT maybe it can be done. Are we just too scared? In the event of legal action what happens - they say remove them from the site or we will sue you. So ...... we remove them from the site (if we even issue them that way)! They can't sue for lost revenue because we have made none. That said I am no legal expert.

They probably can't sue YOU, chompers. They might, however, sue the owner of the site, whose personal information is registered with the domain name (as is required of all domain names). Said owner has a wife and children and has no interest in having his life ruined by a legal tangle related to a card game.

November 24, 2009, 04:42:00 PM
Reply #7

Elrohir

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • If you want him, come and claim him!
    • Elrohir wants some cards
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
They probably can't sue YOU, chompers. [...]

What does Sue mean?
You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you anymore.

November 24, 2009, 04:57:50 PM
Reply #8

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 04:57:50 PM »
"To bring a lawsuit against."
-wtk

lol liar, it's a girl's name, nothing to be scared about.

"I'll Sue you", sounds really exciting when you think about it that way... :D

November 24, 2009, 09:12:22 PM
Reply #9

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 09:12:22 PM »
I think we've gotten a bit off target with original idea of a "new league".  I am all for making a new league, and I've already seen the post with people's names in it agreeing to play by the league standards (whatever those might be).  Talking about new cards should not be a topic at this time.  Sure I'm a BIG proponent of new cards (and especially errata fixing), but that will come in time. 

As for completely new cards with new images and everything, lets stick to just fixing the cards we have already.  Like it was said, the fair use clause technically could protect us, but only if we also have the lawyers to back us up.  Unfortunately my two degrees are medically related, not law-related.  For now lets get out there, get some publicity, really push GCCG forward and get it out there to play (as the next best thing to the original Decipher online software).

And bring on the new league!  :)

November 24, 2009, 10:28:07 PM
Reply #10

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 10:28:07 PM »
I agree Ranofer! We are way off topic and it is my fault - sorry.

Thanks for responding Kralik - it helps put the idea of v-cards to rest on this website.

Oh - and I am looking forward to the league. Who wants to beat me first - i don;t know how to use GCCG so I will need some help and will use a starter deck for my first game!