LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: LOTR TCG magazine  (Read 27672 times)

November 08, 2009, 07:34:11 AM
Read 27672 times

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
LOTR TCG magazine
« on: November 08, 2009, 07:34:11 AM »
As part of the revival, a memeber from TLHH has offered to start work on a LOTR TCG magazine. I'm probably not the best for editing/design so if there is anyone interested please make your interest known here.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

November 08, 2009, 09:40:37 AM
Reply #1

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
Re: LOTR TCG magazine
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:40:37 AM »
Well, since I'm a graphic designer for living (lol) I can handle that part pretty well, I really want help from everyone regarding the contents. Everything you think TLHH Magazine should have about Lotr Tcg, just  shout it! And well... a little members help concerning texts, images, etc would also be very very welcome!

Anyway, I just want to say Hello to everyone and hope I can manage to get something pretty cool out of this idea! ^^

Meanwhile... cheers!  ;)

November 08, 2009, 12:16:55 PM
Reply #2

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 12:16:55 PM »
I'll throw my name in to help as well.  I do some work with PSD, as well as PDFs and could help get something sent out every month.  Not sure I really want to lead, it but I do want to help.

I bet if we wanted to ask top players from any of the Decipher games to write articles, we could get a nice monthly publication together.  Probably could even get a write in from big D about fight klub if we wanted to include that as well.

November 08, 2009, 12:38:30 PM
Reply #3

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 12:38:30 PM »
Well, I don't mind leading the art side of the magazine. Regarding articles, it would obviously be awesome to have some tops writing about it every month, but beside that the magazine purpose is also to provide readers with good card reviews, deck reviews, articles about anything that can be write about lotr tcg mainly...

I was also thinking about some useful parts, like rules, clarifications, erratas, curious stuff, collectors stuff, and so on, so on... Also another cool idea I had is to add cool stuff to the magazine, like the anthologys little books with all the set card list, but for reflections, shadows block, etc... Some cool "add-ons" for Lotr Tcg lovers like me ^^

It's not my idea to include any other stuff beside Lotr, but it doesnt cost much to add a section about everything else  :lol:

Right now I'm trying some magazine layouts and covers...

Ranofer, any good quality images from Lotr you could provide me with would be a good start! I already have a nice database full with images and stuff to build the magazine.. but more is always good! ^^

Thanks for joining the project! ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:47:49 PM by Sete »

November 08, 2009, 01:20:45 PM
Reply #4

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 01:20:45 PM »
Sure thing.  We could have all those different sections, and then an "Everything Else" section where we could throw in stuff about new sets in Magic, Fight Klub, whatever "news" there is for other games.

I think a collecting idea could be very valuable. Maybe even get someone to have a monthly report about the costs of things on Ebay.  Sort of a new Scyre, for the new age.

I'm sure other PC groups would love to throw up an ad in the magazine as well, but that could just be one of things in the back.

An up to date errata list as well as any officially banned cards could be a very nice addition.

I'll see what I can come up with for images and fonts, unless you've already got those?

November 08, 2009, 03:45:56 PM
Reply #5

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 03:45:56 PM »
Yeah fonts I got "prrretty" much everything one can get from Lotr. As for images, every new image is welcome since the more I get the more I'll use.

Regarding your ideas, I had the same ideas but thought it was a bit too much, but glad to see someone having the same ideas I had. An ebay/amazon monthly report (and perhaps some other lotr sellers would send us ad's... and somehow we could take some sponsorships from this to the new card project of TLHH), and also the banned cards and errata I think it's a pretty must. Some little Lotr news in another section would be a cherry and having a general card game news section can be a must too..

About the collections "add-ons", I'm doing that for my own collection, so as soon as I get them ready for me, I'll get them "on stock" to go with the monthly issues! :D

Well, we have some cool ideas just to start. Let's see if some more members are willing to help ^_^

Cheers!

November 08, 2009, 10:45:40 PM
Reply #6

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 10:45:40 PM »
I am ofcourse willing to chip in my 2 cents every now and then.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

November 09, 2009, 01:41:26 AM
Reply #7

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:41:26 AM »
And your 2 cents will be most welcome! ^^

For start I'd need everyone help in one "add-on" issue:

Fellowship Anthology Card List Booklet:
Fellowship of the Ring
Mines of Moria
Realms of the Elf-Lords

(and so on for the Two Towers, Return of the King and War of the Ring Anthologies booklets)

But what about the other sets? Whats supposed to be called the anthology and what sets does it contain?

I have this collections to create a Card List Booklet:

Promotional Cards;
Reflections;
Expanded Middle Earth;
The Wraith Collection;
The Hunters;
Rise of Saruman;
Treachery and Deceit;
Ages End.

Any idea about how I should sort them? Maybe create a logical anthology with the set Hunters/RoSaruman/T&Deceit ?
And do separate booklets for Promo Cards, Reflections, Expanded ME, Wraith and Ages End?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:12:09 AM by Sete »

November 09, 2009, 06:08:15 AM
Reply #8

Kenddrick

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 06:08:15 AM »
I can add in stuff like, "From a new player's perspective". I'll try my best. :)

November 09, 2009, 07:40:26 AM
Reply #9

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 07:40:26 AM »
Why not? All kind of perspectives are welcome. And it would be fun to have in one side a "noobish" perspective of the game (and I can include myself in that one lol) and in one other side, a pro perspective...

I will note down all the ideas for sections and magazine add-ons and as soon as we get some good core for the magazine I'll post it here.

More help is always welcome! People with connections, lote tcg fanatics, people who love to write, etc, etc...

November 09, 2009, 08:14:57 AM
Reply #10

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 08:14:57 AM »
I think this is a great idea.  I'm not sure I'll actually be committing to the project myself, but I may be able to offer some tips/guidance/help every now and then, if you guys would like.

I wrote articles for the DGMA for quite a while, and spent a short time as the DGMA's Content Coordinator (basically the editor for all the LotR writers).  I was also hired by Worlds Apart to be their sole content contributor for LotR TCG.  Although the DGMA site is down, you can look at some of my LotRO articles here:

http://lotronline.decipher.com/articles/

As you can see, the articles aren't ALL done by me, because when I stopped working for WA, someone else took over for the PSQ reviews I'd started.

I also wrote some strategy articles for the short-lived Auto Assault online TCG, for whatever that's worth.  =P

Anywho, point is, I've done a lot of this sort of stuff before, so if there's anything you need help with, feel free to ask.  Once again, I can't necessarily commit to anything (and if I could, I'd immediately volunteer myself to be an editor  =P), but that doesn't mean I can't lend a hand every now and then.

Once again, cool idea.  I hope it works out!

November 09, 2009, 08:36:36 AM
Reply #11

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 08:36:36 AM »
Glad to hear! And of course, you are most, most welcome!

I'm thinking about some magazine sections regarding card reviews, card combos, even cards the writer would like to talk about (favorite cards or hated cards). Some words about events, tournments, news would be pleasent too.

I also had the idea of contacting some worldwide retailers and tell them about the magazine and how they could be seen by a possible large number of readers, and perhaps get them to monthly offer some discounts, cards promotions, etc, etc...

Would be pretty cool...

(Btw, I have a request: Lotr Tcg logo and the cultures mini logos in a big legible size would be awesome! thnks)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:16:17 AM by Sete »

November 10, 2009, 08:25:27 AM
Reply #12

Kenddrick

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 08:25:27 AM »
Looks like we have ideas. Can anyone tell me my share of the work? I can't wait to get started! :D

November 10, 2009, 09:24:53 AM
Reply #13

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 09:24:53 AM »
Right now, nothing at all.

Let me just work the concept first, do the "blueprint" of the magazine, finish some add-on so we can have cool stuff to come along the magazine and then I'll focus in the magazine sections where all help will be most welcome! :D

But for now thanks a lot for wanting to help! Wish more people would just come along the idea and joined the project ^_^

Oh, and Ages End card collector list booklet is already done.

Next in list is "War of the Ring" booklet.

Any ideas on how I should sort the other editions? Hunters, RoS, T&Deceit, Middle-Earth Deluxe cards, Weta Collection, Wraith Collection, Reflections, Promo cards... How should I sort them? I'm thinking about doing a booklet for each "Promo card collection", "Weta collection", "Wraith collection" and I don't know what to do about the other 4 sets...

IMPORTANT: To everyone wanting to join this project, please add me to your msn list: white@iol.pt so we can discuss sections, ideas, assignments, etc...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:52:44 AM by Sete »

November 10, 2009, 11:26:02 AM
Reply #14

Kenddrick

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 11:26:02 AM »
We can also have articles like Card of the Month, where we choose a card and talk about it's uses, combos and stuff. It can be a common/uncommon or rare, doesn't matter. Also, we can also have a stories about matchups and how the game turned out! :D

November 10, 2009, 12:31:26 PM
Reply #15

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 12:31:26 PM »
Added you to MSN :)

I would say that rather than putting all the lists into one issue we seperate them out.  Maybe each issue has a theme?  Like all the "cards of the months" and articles reflect a specific expansion with that "collecting" list found at the back.  The information about the prices and costs could reflect one expansion as well, that way we don't get too overwhelmed.

Just ideas!

November 10, 2009, 12:49:46 PM
Reply #16

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »
Yes, a block or a theme are good ideas to come up with. Just let me finish the layouts and we'll start working on the monthly issues and columns, articles, etc..

Thanks for the support! :D

November 10, 2009, 11:57:54 PM
Reply #17

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 11:57:54 PM »
And we could cover each set. Starting with fellowship, dealing with game mechanics etc. That way newer players could step in more easily.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

November 17, 2009, 04:04:39 PM
Reply #18

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 04:04:39 PM »
Guys, I'd like to know your opinion on this booklet covers. It's supposed to be the cover for the card list of Ages End. Next in list is the "War of the Ring" anthology and then the promo list and so on. Which one you think that suits better this set?

One last question: I am in need of the culture symbols in a good quality so I can apply them to the card list. Anyone with this culture symbols willing to send me? It's kinda urgent... Thanks!

From TheJord - I'm sorry I cant allow grapics to be posted on the website as legal action would be taken against Kralik.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 05:34:44 PM by TheJord »

November 17, 2009, 04:13:19 PM
Reply #19

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 04:13:19 PM »
Don't forget [Ring] XD

November 17, 2009, 04:39:33 PM
Reply #20

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 04:39:33 PM »
The first of those images for sure, that is epic.
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

November 17, 2009, 04:47:52 PM
Reply #21

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 04:47:52 PM »
Yeah, I think the same. Just wanted to let you guys decide for an alternative if you wanted... Ages End combines with the Barad-dûr tower falling down. Kinda gives me the meaning of "End".

Anyway, Ket, thanks for those, but since the booklets are for print those are quite too small :/ I already tried them once and they get all pixelated.. I need some a little bigger at least. If anyone owns an anthology box and card list booklet, you can check the size I need... ^^

November 17, 2009, 05:04:44 PM
Reply #22

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 05:04:44 PM »
There is a font I stole out of the online software...let me see if I can get it for you.  It might require you to "input" symbol because for some reason when I remake the font, the characters don't act correctly, something about them being the incorrect size for a font.

I'll get the font and give it to you Sete.

November 17, 2009, 05:36:21 PM
Reply #23

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 05:36:21 PM »
Sete if you would like to share graphics please do so by email. Kralik has specifically asked that we dont use graphical DC's (or dream covers in this case) as any legal action would be against him.

November 17, 2009, 05:39:21 PM
Reply #24

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 05:39:21 PM »
Many sorries, didnt knew that.

Could you just tell me one thing then? Doing a fan magazine for non profit and use this kind of images leads to any legal action? I mean, any fan page of lotr has hundreds of pictures of Lotr... I bet tolkien company isnt out there throwing hundreds of fan sites into juridic issues...

Ranofer, thanks, that would be awesome! Could you send it to my mail? Thanks once again!

November 17, 2009, 05:40:52 PM
Reply #25

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »
Using Deciphers images in a non-profit magazine should be ok. Its when make our own images using their templates that we could run into problems.

November 19, 2009, 03:01:22 PM
Reply #26

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 03:01:22 PM »
I'd like to ask you all ideas for the magazine name. Would love to gather a few names so I could think of something cool!

Thanks Grin

November 19, 2009, 07:31:41 PM
Reply #27

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 07:31:41 PM »
Not very creative but:

Lord of the Rings TCG - The players magazine
Lord of the Rings TCG - The players perspective
The new journey - LOTR TCG

A New Age ??
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:09:47 AM by chompers »

November 19, 2009, 09:20:15 PM
Reply #28

Kenddrick

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 09:20:15 PM »
LotR: TCG - The game lives on!

November 20, 2009, 02:18:57 AM
Reply #29

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 02:18:57 AM »
Wouldn't it be better to name it something Lord of the Rings-y? Like the Scrolls of Isildur, or the Tale of Years or the Book of Marzarbul or any other of the famous chronicles from Middle-Earth.

Thranduil

November 25, 2009, 02:58:52 PM
Reply #30

Yanko Markovic

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »
Yeah Thran, something like The Thain's Book or something modified like "The Westmarch Chronicles" would be nice.
PD: What you are doing is just great, I've read almost every thread about this, too bad I'm far away to join you or something...
"To ask if Orcs "are" Communists is to me as sensible as asking if Communists are Orcs." - JRR Tolkien, regarding his "allegory".

November 25, 2009, 03:19:15 PM
Reply #31

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 03:19:15 PM »
Yeah Thran, something like The Thain's Book or something modified like "The Westmarch Chronicles" would be nice.
PD: What you are doing is just great, I've read almost every thread about this, too bad I'm far away to join you or something...

A pc, internet and mail or msn is fair enough to join me and the rest of the guys! Joining this project is more like a will to give away some free time and write about something you want or contributing with something you think it would be good in the magazine...

Every helping member of the community is more then welcome to join me!

November 26, 2009, 05:35:36 PM
Reply #32

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2009, 05:35:36 PM »
Can we move this to The LOTR TCG Magazine thread?

December 02, 2009, 11:52:33 AM
Reply #33

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 11:52:33 AM »
How is the magazine going Sete? Can you give everyone an update of progress and outline some main areas that you need members from TLHH to volunteer to help.

Do you have some sort of format or outline of the magazine structure? At this stage we have some suggestions of content - perhaps you can summarise the key points for everyone.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:55:40 AM by chompers »

December 02, 2009, 06:20:08 PM
Reply #34

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »
What I need the most right now is... articles. Deck articles, card articles (reviews, etc like NB used to do...)

:) Im lacking content to work on the magazine... Cause I need to know what sections I gotta do, and so on...

^^

December 02, 2009, 06:29:45 PM
Reply #35

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 06:29:45 PM »
I suggest you look for volunteers Sete.

December 02, 2009, 07:46:49 PM
Reply #36

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 07:46:49 PM »
Well, it's hard to get some support on this work... My best hopes is having ket the jet doing some great deck studies for the magazine... And well, any cool idea is nice... Like, if you do a deck, you just need to explain the key cards, the sites, combos or moves, etc... And there ya go, a cool article...

Or like NB used to do with single cards... making all the review and study of it...

I'd really need some sort of material like that.. :/ Otherway a magazine with 3 pages is not a magazine lol is a bulletin ... ;P

December 02, 2009, 09:53:13 PM
Reply #37

Kenddrick

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 09:53:13 PM »
I can do a newbie's perspective on LotR: TCG and why I started it long after it stopped produciton in '07. :)
Also, maybe we can get a certain selected player to write us an article on his favourite card. Maybe I can be the first player. :p

What do you guys think? :)

P.S: I really want this magazine and the PC to take place, so I will do whatever I can to help and contribute. :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:56:20 PM by Kenddrick »

December 02, 2009, 09:59:20 PM
Reply #38

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »
i would suggest advertising this site and gccg in the magazine

it may also be worth mentioning / advertising that some are attempting to establish a pc for lotr. the exact role of the pc and what it will do for the game remains undetermined so essentially advertising for more people to get involved and help.

December 03, 2009, 01:59:59 AM
Reply #39

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 01:59:59 AM »
I don't have my LotR cards with me right now, but this weekend (when I do!) I will look through them and find a combo that I can talk about. Hopefully I should have it to you Sete by this time next week.

December 03, 2009, 03:59:24 AM
Reply #40

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 03:59:24 AM »
I will write an article as well.

December 03, 2009, 06:35:28 AM
Reply #41

Kenddrick

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2009, 06:35:28 AM »
Great! Now we have many people (Gil-Estel, chompers, Thranduil, Kenddrick) on board, we can start to assign the tasks! :D

December 05, 2009, 04:04:11 AM
Reply #42

Kenddrick

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 04:04:11 AM »
In order to kickstart the magazine article, I have already started writing a LotR: TCG article.

I will write on why I started playing LotR:TCG 2 years after it stopped production, and what is it that appeals to me. :)

I will upload it shortly, and send a copy to Sete at the same time! :)

Edit:
Oh yes, I was thinking of asking everyone to submit a short column on what their favourite card in FotR is, and why. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 04:09:20 AM by Kenddrick »

December 05, 2009, 05:28:14 AM
Reply #43

Kenddrick

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 05:28:14 AM »
My article is done!

Bear in mind this may not be the finished version, as I will tailor it should there be any major errors spotted. :)

http://kewlshare.com/dl/c8b09b3730c7/A_new_player_s_perspective.doc.html

December 05, 2009, 05:38:14 AM
Reply #44

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 05:38:14 AM »
hmm I think there is only one problem with it, on page 2 you start talking about the appeal of the characters being on cards and then start talking about parry,

Quote from: Kenddrick
"One of the main reasons for appeal was the characters in the movies being in the cards. I always wanted to see what the characters stats will be when shown in numbers. The card game has images taken directly from the movies, which makes it even more interesting as well. I have always envisioned the "live action" whenever I play a card in LotR: TCG. For instance: Parry.

and then you wait 2 pages before talking about characters, you should bump the part about characters up to the point where you first start talking about them.
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

December 12, 2009, 08:31:22 PM
Reply #45

sharkey

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2009, 08:31:22 PM »
How is this magazine going to be published?

December 13, 2009, 12:47:33 AM
Reply #46

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2009, 12:47:33 AM »
As yet it hasn't been discussed (to my knowledge) but it has been asked how it will be distributed.

IMO it could be released as an e-document that can be downloaded by those that are interested. If the file is small enough it could be emailed to those interested. Any that want to print could then do so at their own discretion.

The proposed PC is attempting to generate more interest in the game and the magazine would be a good tool to do this. Those committed to expanding the player base in their area could distribute the magazine, but it would be at their own cost.

I personally would love to run tournaments in my area and get the game going again - but want to do so with the support of v-cards in whatever format they may come. I would be happy to spend some of my own money to get the game going again in my area, but I have an income that can support this, what I lack at this stage is the time to do so.

As i see it, the magazine is about trying to produce something that can be used to promote the game and get more people playing it. Once we have a product, we can tackle the issue of distributing it later.

January 04, 2010, 05:27:50 AM
Reply #47

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2010, 05:27:50 AM »
I think the Magazine could republish some of the old articles from CC and any posted in TLHH, at least as "fodder" untill there are enough writers and articles!

January 04, 2010, 10:06:21 AM
Reply #48

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2010, 10:06:21 AM »
I am not such a good writer in English, but in German... just sweetness ;-)

January 04, 2010, 11:05:50 AM
Reply #49

putridbreath

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »
I have two well-loved copies of Scrye Presents: The Lord of the Rings. One for when Two Towers block came out and one for when The Reutrn of the King block came out.

The first magazine had articles:

-Deckbuilding Made Simple
Talks about deckbuilding rules (briefly), choosing the block you want to play, one-on-one vs multiplayer, and lastly choosing cultures and themes with short descriptions on each fellowship and shadow culture. Following were some short verses on choosing your site path, deck size and the metagame.

-Simplicity of Symmetry
Article on creating cohesiveness between your shadow and fellowship cards.

-Make Opening Bid a Part of Your Winning Strategy
Talks about high stakes bidding vs low stakes bidding and cards that dramatically effect the burden pool

-The Library of Minas Tirith
BAsically Q+A regarding card rules etc.

Also included two long articles on the Two Towers and how it changed the game

More articles included one on how to do a booster draft

Then came four themed decks with lists of cards each needed and in depth analysis of how to play the deck and the key cards used in each one.

Each magazine had a Player's Guide which consisted of each card in the block pictured in rows so you could read and see each card. The last thing in each magazine was a comprehensive price guide.

The Return if the King issue was similar to the Two Towers one in that it had deckbuilding strategies and articles on new ROTK mechanics like threats and initiative.

What was missing from these mags and something I sppreciated was individual analysis of key cards and their role(S) in gameplay. (I found articles like this on decipher's website) Individual cards from each culture were looked at for various uses--some with quite unexpected value or use!

Well I hope this helped some. I am quite eager to see something come together and from what's already been posted, I'd say we're on the right track!

January 21, 2010, 05:59:53 AM
Reply #50

Kenddrick

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2010, 05:59:53 AM »
Anyone one has seen Sete recently? We need an update on how the magazine is doing!

March 28, 2010, 01:19:48 PM
Reply #51

Mythdracon

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • You cannot pass!
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »
I would love to see card deck ideas. I remember there was one with Boromir RB and Aragorn, and one with Gollum and Sauron, Lord of the Rings on the old Cobra Forums, both of which I have since lost the lists for.  #-o
A wizard is never late...nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

June 28, 2010, 03:00:05 PM
Reply #52

chubacca

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2010, 03:00:05 PM »
Hello everyone, just today I found out the SW and LOTR community was still alive. I stopped playing around King's Block. Anyway, I am involved in publishing (books and magazines) and I have a few suggestions. First, don't be too ambitious with the first issue. The most efficient way will be the best way. For example, set up the magazine like a blog where anyone can submit articles. Also, the first issue doesn't even need that many articles, just need to be up and running. Sete, if you need help managing/editing, email me! I will try to help!

June 30, 2010, 07:32:07 PM
Reply #53

Kenddrick

Re: LotR TCG Magazine
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »
Sete is currently having exams thus he's unable to work on the magazine at the moment. He did promise me that he'll return soon though. :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:01:27 PM by Kenddrick »

October 03, 2010, 09:52:11 AM
Reply #54

itjunkie

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2010, 09:52:11 AM »
forget the magazine! i think we're better off having newsletters. easier  to make, cheaper to produce and easier to distribute:) we can have it quarterly or monthly, then have deck building challenges and the sort:)

October 27, 2010, 10:25:44 AM
Reply #55

Kenddrick

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2010, 10:25:44 AM »
Well perhaps all that would come with the PC website. E-newsletters maybe. Need a designer though! :D

December 31, 2010, 07:30:11 PM
Reply #56

Morgul_Rat

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2010, 07:30:11 PM »
Did this idea die???  I would like to help if others are still working on it.  PLEASE let me know.
We all have a part to play~

January 04, 2011, 06:18:16 AM
Reply #57

Kenddrick

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2011, 06:18:16 AM »
No it did not it's just postponed till someone comes along! Don't listen to Ket regarding the status of the PC he doesn't have a #$&*@! clue.