LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Merits of a PC  (Read 24327 times)

April 07, 2010, 11:41:25 AM
Reply #60

Smeagollum

Re: Merits of a PC
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2010, 11:41:25 AM »
Are you sure everyone wants to create the need for a PC? I think first, before anything else, we need to think about fostering the desire to discuss the lack of a want of the need to create the PC.

Maybe we should see what project PC brings us.Everyone who wants a pc can help if he or she (do we have a she here actually?) wants. The rest can wait and see how the project develops for say about a year and then we can discuss how it worked and if it worked and if there will be a continuation or not, but I still would like the opinion of the not in need, because i think if the pc won't do that there will grow a to big a distance and that's imo not the pc's ambition. i don't think we should stay into discussion. just let the in favour start their project.

@Lad. you're partiately right, but i think you should organize first and then create the need. That's how companies, like especialy decipher who created a big need of lotr-cards on us, sell a product.

April 07, 2010, 12:17:24 PM
Reply #61

Kralik

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2010, 12:17:24 PM »
Maybe we should see what project PC brings us.

But not before we... ... :P

April 07, 2010, 12:23:19 PM
Reply #62

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2010, 12:23:19 PM »
Come on Ket, he is dutch...we like it cheap. It is, how do your insurance companies call it, a pre existing failure.....
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

April 07, 2010, 12:32:08 PM
Reply #63

Smeagollum

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2010, 12:32:08 PM »
Come on Ket, he is dutch...we like it cheap. It is, how do your insurance companies call it, a pre existing failure.....

Besides I'm from Amsterdam.. there we like it even more cheaper ;) In fact we have a nose for it...

Amsterdams joods kookboek: "Men lenen ene ei"

Sorry guys just a Dutch joke.. Heije can explain it far better then I can... ;) :D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:43:24 PM by Smeegulloom »

April 07, 2010, 12:34:57 PM
Reply #64

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2010, 12:34:57 PM »
You get enough people interested in playing this game again, they will be breaking down the doors wanting a PC to come up with a uniform structure for competitive play.

Until then, focus on your local areas. How was Decipher successful? They had product champions out doing demos on a regular basis. They established relationships with retailers and gave them incentive to carry their product. These are the things that have to happen for LotR to truly become a thriving game again.

If you get people in a card shop on a regular basis, retailers (at least the ones in my area) will help you promote the game. They want the bodies in their store. They want to sell product.

A PC alone will not revive this game. Is it an important part? Yes. But there has to be tremendous amounts of grass roots support from LotR enthusiasts on the local level.

April 07, 2010, 12:39:34 PM
Reply #65

Smeagollum

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2010, 12:39:34 PM »
yup, so we should do the same as decipher and actually better, because to be honest they did a lousy job.

April 07, 2010, 12:42:31 PM
Reply #66

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2010, 12:42:31 PM »

yup, so we should do the same as decipher and actually better, because to be honest they did a lousy job.

Decipher was great at organizing volunteers to promote their games. They were terrible at managing their finances.

April 07, 2010, 12:51:04 PM
Reply #67

Smeagollum

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2010, 12:51:04 PM »
Decipher was great at organizing volunteers to promote their games. They were terrible at managing their finances.

Well partially.. they can't help a frauds. But what they did lousy was what they did with the gameafter mount doom. I just remember a certain Brad de Fruiter say no we will not put Dunlend men, Isengard men and raider into one culture. I forgot the reason, but it was around rotk or sog. few months later Dan Bojawolski: Yeah we gonna make it somehow different.

But what was also a mistake is the foils, because of costreduction they wanted to limited the foils. I know a few friends who lost interrest, because of that. Because they were afraid to invest they lost a lot of players. So we should do better.

April 07, 2010, 12:53:19 PM
Reply #68

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2010, 12:53:19 PM »
Game design is a completely different beast. Can't start thinking about game mechanics or collecting information until you actually get the game up and going again.

Get people playing. Get people playing. Get people playing.

It's really that simple.

April 07, 2010, 01:07:39 PM
Reply #69

Smeagollum

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2010, 01:07:39 PM »
oh i agree, but you can do that organized ;)

April 07, 2010, 08:30:48 PM
Reply #70

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2010, 08:30:48 PM »

Secondly, before I begin, Gate Troll, your cover is blown. You were outed as a spy and faction warrior of my North American Zionist Institution for the Purity of Lord of the Rings Trading Card Games, or NAZI, as I like to call it for short. Please report back to base for a bullet lodged in your temple--uh, I mean a medal of commendation for your brave works on the front lines. Mr. "Captain Piett" Lurtzy, make ready to land our troops beyond their energy shield and deploy the fleet so that nothing gets off the system. You are in command now, Admiral Piett...

ket, if I felt that :gp: meant anything, I would give you a mountain of it, for quite possibly the most elegant and hilarious counter of an infraction of Godwin's Law that I have ever, ever, seen on the internet. 

that said, I propose the first action of a PC should be the enforcement of the Law referred to above, and the second, to recess until there's as many active, motivated, dedicated members as there are sets in the game.

Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

April 08, 2010, 04:27:48 AM
Reply #71

Smeagollum

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2010, 04:27:48 AM »
  WTF :gp: = just a smiley or not?  ??? Maybe I miss the meaning here? To me it's only a compliment. Is it something else?

Thx for the support about my cat.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:31:25 AM by Smeegulloom »

April 08, 2010, 04:42:35 AM
Reply #72

Smeagollum

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2010, 04:42:35 AM »
oops, sorry. Didn't know that. Well to who do I owe some  :gp: ? Will make corrections immidiatly.

April 08, 2010, 05:12:05 AM
Reply #73

Smeagollum

« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2010, 05:12:05 AM »
I became 4th of the netherlands (netherlands is a round middle level in the world say equal to the US) with my waterpolo pupils. I had kids in the ninetees, who are now the biggest talent of our country. Some of them allready played in the national team. But when you've got to start from the bottom then it takes about 15 to twenty years before you can think of becomming chapion of our highest class.

oh you are saying the same thing. Just start one and ee what happens. In my case I'm positive towards a pc. In your case you're not. That's the only difference IMO.

Though you're right that a pc will need a strong leader. So In the end a pc should find one. You're also right about a sollid supportgroup. But it can all be done allong the way. Just start up is my motto and we will see. And indeed a pc should not be just only a website. Sure we need to be carefull, but that's in our own hands. Right? Still it's difficult for me to explain in english what I want (my english was quite good untill my depression.. It's very hard for me nowdays) with a pc. But a pc to me is getting organized. support memebers and start up local events again. Also repair some stupid decipher mistakes like the requirement for a non existent orc culture archer by an event.If we're ready with that we can go on to expand lotr.

Well don't know when you started to give away boosters and rares away. I started organizing tournaments around 2001 and we didn't need someone else to do the building up for player area's: Eric Minkes. But when he stopped doing that I am the main person in my area to get the game going. But is this important?

I was just curious about the woman. In the netherlands we had 3 who did play tournaments. You're right about finding a girlfriend, but first I've to loose about 40 kilo of weight and get my sportsbody back. But that's my problem...  In the mean time I can worry ;)

But really I don't think we think much different, but you're not favouring a pc and I am. Still I'm very cautious about it, because first I like to see it happen.

In the mean time I gave you another  :gp: because of the remark about pets. To me animals are very first proirity.. to be honest even more then human. Maybe that's strange, but humanity is the strongest kind on this planet and we need to take care for the weaker kinds and our planet. But that's just my thinking and thats why my vote for goes to a polical party who stands for the animal rights (Partij voor de dieren/party for the animals). Thoud I'm social/liberal before (which is a bit more left then the democratic party in the US I think. But Heije is as historyteacher better informed in that then I am, allthough I also studied history (which I didn't finnish.. Just no finnisher).

April 08, 2010, 10:26:26 AM
Reply #74

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2010, 10:26:26 AM »
I've missed this because my computer died the other day, but this whole thread is pretty much the most ridiculous thing I've seen on these boards. Why is everything so personal and so antagonistic? We're all sensible people here, and we all apparently believe very strongly in our opinions, and I know I'm about 7 pages too late, but it's time to just COOL IT!

I really have nothing else to add - it was a pointless argument from the onset, and I'm going to lock this thread. And I think people here know that I don't intervene on threads very often (ie. hardly at all).