LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Bad Gemp Players' List  (Read 66332 times)

March 16, 2013, 09:42:10 AM
Reply #120

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
Re: Bad Gemp Players' List
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »
I like this, but I think I have a better idea:

What about, once a player accumulates a certain number of complaints in a certain category, they get a designation next to their username that everyone can see. For example, tunfu has received complaints about rudeness in the past. Once he accumulates a certain number, perhaps his username in Gemp would then show up as: tunfu[R].

For another example, macheteman has received complaints about ragequitting. Perhaps, after a certain number of these complaints, his username would appear in Gemp as: macheteman[RQ]

Preferably these could even be scarlet letters! ;)

This way we'd all know at a glance who we might want to avoid playing, and hopefully players with bad behavior would be discouraged from having the shame of a letter next to their name that makes people not want to play them.

Also, perhaps after a certain number of complaints, a violator may no longer be allowed to join other people's games. They could put up a table, but they wouldn't be able to jump on somebody else's table.
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

March 16, 2013, 11:44:02 AM
Reply #121

Kralik

« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2013, 11:44:02 AM »
What about, once a player accumulates a certain number of complaints in a certain category, they get a designation next to their username that everyone can see. For example, tunfu has received complaints about rudeness in the past. Once he accumulates a certain number, perhaps his username in Gemp would then show up as: tunfu[R].

I think this will help IF the player who sets up a table can choose whether to start the game or not when someone joins.

March 16, 2013, 02:28:52 PM
Reply #122

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2013, 02:28:52 PM »
Good point. Maybe an option that you can set for you table that does not allow [R] and [RQ] people to join it?
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

March 18, 2013, 07:23:21 AM
Reply #123

Kralik

« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2013, 07:23:21 AM »
Good point. Maybe an option that you can set for you table that does not allow [R] and [RQ] people to join it?

Actually, it could be even simpler: Make a "feedback" system like eBay. Every game played through to the end/Concede counts as one positive feedback; every game that is timed out counts as one negative feedback. Then, for example, if you see a player that has 339/342 feedback, you can know that they timed out for 3 games but since it's < 1% of their games it probably was a legitimate connection problem.

The ability to choose who plays with you is a must.

March 21, 2013, 06:32:56 AM
Reply #124

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2013, 06:32:56 AM »
The fact that you're all writing this in English helps support my views. The fact of the matter is, the majority of the civilized world speaks English. The cards here on the wiki are printed in English. The instructions for how Gemp works are written in English. I know we have a bunch of Czech players on here, as well as from other non-English countries, but they still have to have some basic understanding of the English language in order to play the game.
Jesus, Fred Phelps. Come out of the stone age. Next you're going to tell me that gays shouldn't get married, and black people make excellent farm equipment? It's 2013; act like it.
-wtk

March 21, 2013, 06:36:02 AM
Reply #125

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2013, 06:36:02 AM »
English is the primary language of the modern (i.e. Internet-capable) world. You would be a fool to deny that fact.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

March 21, 2013, 07:57:06 AM
Reply #126

Grond

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »
No one is arguing about that. But saying should be the only language is a bit too much

March 21, 2013, 09:55:33 AM
Reply #127

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
English is the primary language of the modern (i.e. Internet-capable) world. You would be a fool to deny that fact.

Modern =/= internet capable.

Modern = technological.

So no, again, Mandarin is the language of the modern world.

April 01, 2013, 01:06:55 AM
Reply #128

CoS

• Information Offline
  • Villager
  • Battletech, Overpower, and LOTR TCG- all dead :(
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2013, 01:06:55 AM »
CoS v. goblin83

goblin83- ragequit (After I overwelmed his frodo with double pumped Elder at site 6)

Game link: http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=CoS$ekqhbx0db6n6s6s1

CHAT LOG:
System: Welcome to room: Game211
CoS: thanks for playing
CoS plays
Constantly Threatening
from hand
CoS removes 1 from twilight pool
Secret Folk
is used
CoS discards
Firefoot
Eomer's Spear
from play using
Secret Folk
CoS discards
Secret Folk
from play using
Secret Folk
Archery fire: fellowship - 1, minion - 0
Hides
is used
2 twilight gets removed from twilight pool
goblin83 assigns characters to skirmish
goblin83 plays
Severed His Bonds
from hand
goblin83 adds 1 to twilight pool
CoS plays
Dark Fury
from hand
CoS plays
Burn Every Village
from hand
Sting, Baggins Heirloom
is used
Frodo, Courteous Halfling
exert due to
Sting, Baggins Heirloom
goblin83 lost due to: Player decision timed-out
CoS is the winner due to: Last remaining player in game

April 01, 2013, 08:28:14 AM
Reply #129

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2013, 08:28:14 AM »
I'm not going to say this makes him a bad player [possibly he is just terribly uninformed], but Miunich told me he had to leave midgame at site four. I said no problem, then I presume he x-ed out of the window.

I don't mind people leaving midgame, but please have the courtesy to concede or agree upon a game cancel when appropriate.
-wtk

April 01, 2013, 05:19:02 PM
Reply #130

gordie124

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2013, 05:19:02 PM »
I don't think that it's nearly obvious enough in the interface that leaving w/out conceding is considered rude by the gemp community.

My web browser verifies that I want to leave a tab I'm closing if I've entered text into a text box. Perhaps there's a way to code an idiosyncratic message that issues to those who are attempting to leave without conceding?

At the very least, the fact that leaving w/o conceding is a breach of etiquette should be mentioned in the instructions tab.

April 12, 2013, 06:08:55 AM
Reply #131

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2013, 06:08:55 AM »
I won't say this makes a bad player, but rickblond started Galadriel, Lady Redeemed. I mentioned that I don't mind conceding but would rather not waste my time playing against the card as it is a negative playing experience but would prefer a cancellation. Here is the script:

chet_manly: Hey there, good luck and have fun.
rickblond: you 2 mate!
chet_manly: Dude, I'm sorry but I don't play games against Lady Redeemed. It's just a negative playing experience.
chet_manly: I'm happy to just concede the game, or we can cancel the result.
rickblond: negative experience?
rickblond: i don't get you
chet_manly: I don't know what there is to not understand. Galadriel, Lady Redeemed is a broken card. I don't play games where myself or my opponent uses her.
chet_manly: I'm happy to concede, or we can just cancel.
rickblond: as you prefer
rickblond: but it's legit
chet_manly: I think you'll find this general sentiment with players.
rickblond: so there is an "house rule" i'm not aware of?
chet_manly: As Decipher was far too embroiled in its lawsuits, it cut all playtesters and a ton of broken cards came out between sets 8 and more.
rickblond: it's sad, because this is the same deck i played to win Nationals in Italy
chet_manly: But Galadriel was by far the most broken card. No cultural enforcement, free to play, and unfettered discarding of a Shadow player's deck.
rickblond: and I would like to play again with it, locally the community disappeared
rickblond: yes, agreed, but you have to build a deck around her
rickblond: and it's not so easy to manage
chet_manly: There is kind of a gentleman's agreement regarding the card, but maybe you could ask opponents if they wouldn't mind you're using it.
rickblond: otherwise everybody will use her
chet_manly: If you use Elves, at all, Galadriel is so easy to use.
chet_manly: Not to mention the bonuses she innately provides for Cirdan, etc.
rickblond: I know she's broken, I won a national champ with this deck
chet_manly: If you know she's broken, why would you play with her?
rickblond: Because this is "my deck", let's put this way
chet_manly: That seems kind of disrespectful to your opponent.
rickblond: lots of sweet memories
rickblond: my opponents can play whatever he wants, if within the rules
chet_manly: That's fine, but there are so many other ways to discard conditions with Elves. Secret Sentinels, Company of Archers...
rickblond: agreed, but the result would be a different deck
chet_manly: Listen mate, it's really not worth the argument. I have a personal stance on the card. A lot of other players in the community share my views. You openly acknowledged the card is broken and thus, a negative-playing experience for your opponent.

I honestly would be open to discussing whether a separate block where she is X-listed should be added to Gemp. I still think there needs to be a King Standard block [sets 1-7].
-wtk

April 12, 2013, 06:19:02 AM
Reply #132

jcb213

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2013, 06:19:02 AM »
Ket, I hate to break it to you, but there is no "gentleman's agreement" about LR on GEMP.  Plenty of people play her.  I would say that players are actually split 50/50 on whether she should be allowed in Movie Block.  Either way, I don't think people are changing their mind about her (on either side), so it just isn't worth it to argue with people about it or try to convince them.

April 12, 2013, 06:22:08 AM
Reply #133

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2013, 06:22:08 AM »
If a card is legal for the format you're playing, then it's legal, period. Anybody can use whatever cards they want for their deck.

LR is a part of movie block, so you always have to be aware that you could run into her. That's just how it works.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

April 12, 2013, 05:31:34 PM
Reply #134

JudgeDRG

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2013, 05:31:34 PM »
I can understand if you don't wanna play her because you don't like the experience, and If I may add so would anyone playing against a deck confronting his strategy, like moria always cries when a 3-4 sleep caradras gadalf is the opponent.
I don't like you speaking as a representor of the community, I don't think most agree with you, its not even 50/50.
The last league we played movie block all cards had galadriel excluded. VERY few joined that league.
I also wanna add that other cards seem broken, like savagery and saruman for uruks. The truth is that in fellowship environment it's not that broken.
Some cards define the metagame, like enquea, aragorn rotn, hobbit stealth and so on. That does not mean they are broken, and propably means its intentional. Decipher wanted to drive the metagame to their next expansion for example.
Just live with it and stick to the rules. You may politely ask someone for a game cancel, or even concede, if you don't like the experience. But frankly, I would not play a format I don't like.
+1 for the proposition of a kings standard format, but in movie block galadriel is legal and you have to deal with it and prepare for her, like you would for enquea in felloswhip format.
I hope I am not impolite, i respect your opinion, I just don't agree.