LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The Fellowship of the Ring  (Read 19342 times)

May 14, 2008, 05:54:39 PM
Reply #30

FingolfinFinwe

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: The Fellowship of the Ring
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 05:54:39 PM »
Ahem, you must get to that book!! It is really fantastic imo.   I've read Lotr 4 times and the Silmarillion 3 times.  I actually have a harder time reading the Hobbit than Lotr or the Silm.  It is more challenging reading I guess... I just become fascinated with all the stories and M.E. history in the Silmarillion.  Well worth it!   8)

May 14, 2008, 07:23:57 PM
Reply #31

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 07:23:57 PM »
Interesting, I found the Hobbit to be the easiest and most fun to read.

May 15, 2008, 12:18:26 AM
Reply #32

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2008, 12:18:26 AM »
The Hobbit is nice, but obviously it is a childrensbook. Silmarillion brings depth in the story, as does The Unfinished Tales and later the Children of Hurin, which is a beautiful, but tragic story.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

May 15, 2008, 01:33:22 AM
Reply #33

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2008, 01:33:22 AM »
I liked Akallabêth myself. Good stuff with Númenor, Sauron, the Gift of Men, and of course the story of how the world became round and why the Straight Road is named the way it is.

The part that surprised me in The Hobbit was when the good guys acted rashly and greedily and were besieged by other good guys... and there was also that awkward situation with Bilbo stealing the Arkenstone. Not the sort of feel-good developments I was expecting! *LOL* But I'm glad Thorin and Bilbo had the chance to part on good terms.

---

As for extensive scenery descriptions, I especially liked the ones in FotR--the Shire, Lothlorien, and Parth Galen in particular. Maybe it should come as no surprise though when comparing the FotR site path to TTT's and RotK's. ;)

I've always enjoyed the initial journey as well when it was just the four Hobbits making their way to Bree. Other parts are the meeting with Strider, Galadriel's kind words to Gimli in Lothlorien, and Frodo sitting on the seat of Amon Hen.

But you know what always cracks me up? The Council of Elrond.

"'Strider' I am to one fat man who lives within a day's march of foes that would freeze his heart or lay his little town in ruin, if he were not guarded ceaselessly..."

So what just happened? Aragorn, before the assembled Wise and Great, just wrote off Butterbur as "fat" as the only quality worth mentioning. And mark my words, every word in this council would have been recorded in the histories and remembered by the Elves until the world is old. But wait, there's more!

"For my hope was founded on a fat man in Bree..."

Gandalf, too! Poor old Butterbur! A thankless repayment for all the excellent beer. :'(

May 16, 2008, 05:20:05 AM
Reply #34

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2008, 05:20:05 AM »
neither is me deleting your posts from blatant spam ;) LOL

I think people start the fellowship, and get bored but if you battle through those first 200 pages it really is worth it. Though the hobbit is still my favorite book, ROTK a close second. TTT bogged down where Frodo and Sam came in. Of course I was like 8-9 so I wasn't as mature of a reader as I am now...I need to try to read them again.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

May 22, 2008, 09:45:05 AM
Reply #35

Mythdracon

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • You cannot pass!
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 09:45:05 AM »
I do agree that Sam and Frodo's storyline wasn't especially interesting to me in the books, and also to lots of people: in the movies.

I've still read LOTR annually though. Did you guys know that the Nazgul, including the Witch-King, came to Edoras to coerce Wormtongue, during the time Gandalf was at Edoras? At the time, Wormtongue was still a good counsellor, apparently. Oh, and the Witch-King let him live in part because he perceived he hated Saruman and might wreak vengeance on him sometime. Interesting details like this keep me reading LOTR and its companions (I think I found the above info in the Lost Tales or Unfinished Tales, can't remember which). I've always had trouble reading the Silmarillion though---maybe it's the historic tone. I'll try again someday. :)
A wizard is never late...nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

May 22, 2008, 10:15:09 AM
Reply #36

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2008, 10:15:09 AM »
the silmarillion is incredibly easy for me...as is the hobbit....its funny some people have a ton of trouble with those two...once you get past the parts about feanor royal butthead everything is a lot easier.

wait the WK was there at the same time is gandalf the white and they didn't fight? and how long was it from gandi getting shadowfax to the 3 hunters coming to edoras?
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
SoP's Trade List

May 23, 2008, 06:01:52 AM
Reply #37

FingolfinFinwe

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2008, 06:01:52 AM »
I think the historic tone is part of the reason I love the Silmarillion.  Lots of different storylines basically explaining how middle earth came to be and explaining the history up through the war of the rings.  The Hobbit is great, I just don't like to read it over again as much as the others.

The Witch King at Edoras?  That seems a strange twist.  The histories of middle earth volume 264... I just can't get myself to start going through those. 

Nothing can be as frustrating as the Unfinished Tales though.  There's build up and more build up until you get all excited... and then boom its over.  :-\

What do you all think about Children of Hurin?  While not J.R.R., I still thought it was great, and I really hope Christopher does the Fall of Gondolin :popcorn:  :D

May 25, 2008, 10:40:34 AM
Reply #38

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Why me? No, seriously. WHY ME?!?
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2008, 10:40:34 AM »
Wait... Wasn't Children of Hurin JRR, with Christopher Tolkien just slapping all the different manuscript pages together, sorta like with Silmarillion?

Anyway, CoH is probably my favorite out of the whole lot. I need to get back to my CoH DC set....
Forget it. I'm not arguing with the computer anymore to try to get the sig I want....

May 26, 2008, 07:52:05 AM
Reply #39

FingolfinFinwe

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2008, 07:52:05 AM »
Er yeah it basically is J.R.R., edited (probably quite a bit) by Chris.  You can basically read the condensed version of CoH in the Silmarillion.  It actually has the majority of the storyline in there.  Concievably J.R.R. had more notes on it that fleshed out  the story a bit, but I don't really know if its really J.R.R. or just Christopher filling in the gaps.  I'm fine with it either way, because if it is Christopher filling in gaps, then he did a pretty darn good job following his Dad's lead.  Unlike Frank Herbert's (Dune) kid who along with Kevin Anderson completely screwed over his Father's legacy.  "Oh we have notes from Frank Herbert telling what's supposed to happen in Dune 7!  So we decided to write 3... wait 6 books as prequals to squeeze more money.. I mean set up the story for you first.  Then we'll needlessly split Dune 7 into two slow and boring books full of red herrings!   Oh and the characters we made up in the prequals come back and save the day as the ultimate heroes of the Duniverse!  Wait didn't my Dad purposefully leave it so no superpowerful character could decide the fate of the universe?  Ah screw it I like Star Wars better anyway!"

Bitter? maybe a little  :twisted:

May 26, 2008, 08:57:27 AM
Reply #40

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Why me? No, seriously. WHY ME?!?
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2008, 08:57:27 AM »
A little? Cheeze!

Ah, well. I never liked any of the Dune books besides the first anyway.
Forget it. I'm not arguing with the computer anymore to try to get the sig I want....

May 26, 2008, 11:02:05 AM
Reply #41

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2008, 11:02:05 AM »
http://fan.theonering.net/writing/stories/files/0301_nemo_filmaril.html
funny mention of the dune movie here

shameless spam here ;)
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

May 26, 2008, 12:05:19 PM
Reply #42

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »
And unfortunately, he's the moderator so he's the only one who can delete.

Oh the wallowing depths of indignity to which the mighty CobraCards have fallen.

But wait! Drake is also a moderator! All hope is not yet lost!
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

May 26, 2008, 12:08:42 PM
Reply #43

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?