LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: when multi-playin'  (Read 16626 times)

February 10, 2009, 11:07:46 AM
Read 16626 times

daisukeman

• Information Offline
  • Troll
  • Evil Bilbo is always appropiate for this forum
when multi-playin'
« on: February 10, 2009, 11:07:46 AM »
Yes, me again. :-[
I just had this multiplayer doubt from long time ago (and I wanted to make use of the expertise gathered in this forum..  :o); it goes:
In a multiplayer game, how does the rule of 4 cards apply?

While having many shadow players, each can have 4 under the watching eye conditions, how does these become active? --imagine in a 4 people game, moving with 12 exerts..
If there's any restriction on the activeness of conditions, is there any with minions? (moria scout can be deadly in multiplayer --imagine again in a 4 people game, having to face 12 of them for free if you have an elf) 
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that i'm right...

February 10, 2009, 11:26:38 AM
Reply #1

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
Re: when multi-playin'
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 11:26:38 AM »
I was wondering this too, I know its in the comprehensive somewhere...and uniqueness, with for example, a 2 worry.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

February 10, 2009, 11:43:57 AM
Reply #2

veBu

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:43:57 AM »
Only first four copies of same shadow conditions closest to the right are effective (other copies are also active but their game text is ignored)

February 10, 2009, 12:43:11 PM
Reply #3

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:43:11 PM »
I didn't know this, but this is a direct quote from the comprehensive rulebook:

Occasionally in a multiplayer game, two copies of the same unique Shadow condition may be in play at the same time. Only the first copy of a unique Shadow condition (or the first 4 copies of a non-unique Shadow condition) closest to the right of the Free Peoples player are in effect at any time. All other copies are also active, but their game text is ignored.

February 10, 2009, 12:50:00 PM
Reply #4

daisukeman

• Information Offline
  • Troll
  • Evil Bilbo is always appropiate for this forum
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
Yeah,  but in the case of minions how is this handled? -or events, any shadow card for that matter..
(Off course not unique minions being around twice, but more than 4 copies of the same minion. Again, ex: Moria Scout / Goblin Runner / <name your own..>)
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that i'm right...

February 10, 2009, 12:55:27 PM
Reply #5

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 12:55:27 PM »
Minions are fine as far as I know, and of course, uniqueness works the same way. If a player plays a unique minion, you can't play another one with the same name.

February 10, 2009, 01:20:51 PM
Reply #6

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 01:20:51 PM »
I can't find anything in the rules that states specifically anything about possessions, artifacts, minions or any card-type other than conditions. I'm not sure what to make of this... It seems like it's such a specific rule that it would be clarified explicitly for all card types...

Obviously, if there's a unique card active, you cannot play another copy of that card. But say one Shadow player in a previous turn played Saruman, SoS and it's now their FP turn, you can obviously play your Saruman because SoS is not active. But there doesn't seem to be anything about superfluous cards losing their game text like it does on conditions (so if your Saruman, SoS was active with the other player's SoS, it seems like you can use them both).

Thranduil

February 10, 2009, 02:12:41 PM
Reply #7

Kralik

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 02:12:41 PM »
You cannot play conditions or possessions on your opponent's minions, but you can use events in their skirmishes, etc. I don't remember offhand about special abilities.

The risks of say, 16 Moria Scout's, are the risks you have to take when playing multiplayer. In the times I've played it, it seems much more likely to see the players die than make it to site 9. But you also have to keep in mind that the Shadow players need to coordinate. Sometimes a Shadow player may get selfish with twilight so that they can cycle their hand better. I remember back in Fellowship games convincing other Shadow players to give me twilight and then getting some 4x Orc Bowmen and 4x Under the Watching Eye out. Obviously, they weren't too thrilled with me when it backfired and killed their own fellowships. :P

February 10, 2009, 06:42:24 PM
Reply #8

Gerontius

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:42:24 PM »
This is a little different but probably not worth opening another topic about....
If 1 person plays an annoying condition, can I during the turn of another player play Gate Sentry and discard that condition? Technically the condition is active, and Gate Sentry just says "discard a condition".........

February 10, 2009, 06:45:52 PM
Reply #9

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 06:45:52 PM »
This is a little different but probably not worth opening another topic about....
If 1 person plays an annoying condition, can I during the turn of another player play Gate Sentry and discard that condition? Technically the condition is active, and Gate Sentry just says "discard a condition".........
Assuming it's not that player's FP turn, then yes.

Thranduil

February 10, 2009, 07:41:27 PM
Reply #10

Gerontius

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 07:41:27 PM »
Thanks.

February 11, 2009, 02:28:05 AM
Reply #11

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 02:28:05 AM »
lem0n should know, he played multi-player for ages.

February 11, 2009, 02:32:12 AM
Reply #12

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 02:32:12 AM »
lem0n should know, he played multi-player for ages.

About which bit? Im not sure which bits are left unanswered. As kralik says you cant play stuff on others minions but u can affect them with your conditions and events. Thran is right, the funniest thing in multiplayer is using your shadow condition removal to remove another shadow players stuff if its harming your freeps for example!

Uniqueness is the same for posessions/artifacts etc if its already out and active you cant play it.

Is there anything else?
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

February 11, 2009, 07:18:08 AM
Reply #13

Kralik

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 07:18:08 AM »
What was the order for special abilities and events? Was it first Shadow player to the right and around in a circle, or Freeps - Shadow 1 - Freeps - Shadow 2 - Freeps - Shadow 3...?

February 11, 2009, 07:20:53 AM
Reply #14

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 07:20:53 AM »
Yeah pretty much goes in the order of the table, the direction you are going round in. Same with responses, everyone gets a chance to respond to stuff in the same order.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.