LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Elves/LoI, Morgul Guard  (Read 4438 times)

May 08, 2008, 09:33:16 PM
Read 4438 times

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
Elves/LoI, Morgul Guard
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:33:16 PM »
Ring-bearer and the One Ring:

Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom
The One Ring, The Great Ring

Adventure Path

(0) Buckland Homestead
(0) Courtyard Parapet
(1) Expanding Marshland
(1) Neekerbreekers' Bog
(1) Slag Mounds
(2) *Stables
(2) Westfold Village
(3) Harrowdale
(4) Sirannon Ruins

Free Peoples (30):

1 Legolas, Woodland Emissary (starting)
1 Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien (starting)
3 Elven Guardian
1 Orophin, Silvan Elf
2 Rumil, Silvan Elf

1 Dinendal, Mirkwood Archer

1 Brego
1 Coif
4 Elven Bow
1 Legolas' Bow
1 Nenya, Ring of Adamant
1 Spear of the Mark

2 Namarie

1 Farewell to Lorien
2 Final Shot
3 For the Mark
4 Nocked

The Free Peoples is probably stepping through well-tread territory, but here goes anyway. Play Stables if you go first, exerting and then healing Eowyn with Brego. After that, run! At its height that's 6-7 undirected archery, but I'd class this more as a direct wounding deck with Woodland Emissary, Nocked, and Rumil/Orophin SE paving the way for Eowyn. Farewell to Lorien heals across the board during the fellowship phase, and Nenya RoA can heal during double moves. For the Mark removes annoying possessions like Easterling Polearms; Take Up the Bow can work here as well.

Not really sure which Ring to choose. Galadriel is hardly overflowing with resistance, but if she gets a surprise assignment I don't want to count on having Final Shot in hand.

---

As an alternative tweak I've also been trying out Smeagol with Follow Smeagol to move into plains (or a timely Mithlond/Imladris) to make use of Rohirrim Mount, and Secret Paths to triple move:

+1 Smeagol, Poor Creature (starting)
+1 Rohirrim Mount
+1 Follow Smeagol
+1 Secret Paths

-1 Brego
-2 Final Shot

It's not quite as sturdy, especially at the start, but there it is.

---

Shadow (30):

1 Gollum, Old Villain
1 Gollum, Stinker
2 Shelob, Her Ladyship
4 Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
4 Ulaire Nertea, Dark Horseman

2 Web

4 Black Breath
1 Evil-smelling Fens
2 Fat One Wants It
2 Not Easily Destroyed
1 Out of Sight and Shot

2 All Blades Perish
4 Captured by the Ring

The Shadow is designed to be a throwaway stopper that cycles reasonably well and doesn't require many cards in hand while most of the focus is on the running fellowship.

For cycling in a hurry, use Old Villain to dump cards that aren't needed. There's also a good bit of low-cost conditions and possessions so not too many Shadow cards will sit in hand.

The stopping portion is mostly done with Dark Horseman attacking the Ring-bearer. Gollum and Shelob can act as pincushions in case of mass archery, and Not Easily Destroyed and All Blades Perish further defend against wounding. The threats added by Fat One Wants It and Captured by the Ring can also interfere with some of the popular direct wounding cards like Aragorn's Bow RL and Rumil/Orophin SE. Enquea can work in concert with NED to cut down large fellowships. With four copies of each Nazgul as well as Evil-smelling Fens and Out of Sight and Shot, either one can be played often and as needed.

The way it potentially kills is by smacking the Ring-bearer enough times with Dark Horseman to get to 5 burdens (Black Breath prevents burdens and wounds from being removed). It's much quicker with some alternate Ring-bearers when the threats added by the Shadow can block that escape route. Then Enquea comes out and this time combos with NED at will. Shelob can sidestep troublesome companions who remain, and if the Ring-bearer is close to corruption, a timely Stinker drop can provide the final push.

Thanks for looking and for any suggestions. :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 04:47:43 AM by Elessar's Socks »

May 09, 2008, 07:35:39 AM
Reply #1

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
Re: Elves/LoI, Morgul Guard (Expanded)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:35:39 AM »
Use the Ring of Rings without a doubt. That way she starts out at 7 resistance, and can get up to 12 when all the Elves are out. Otherwise I picture corruption fairly quickly. The Great Ring is a terrible choice, she has no burden removal and if she does skirmish, Eowyn should be killing them before it happens
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

May 09, 2008, 08:50:38 PM
Reply #2

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »
Yeah, when I use TGR and she gets corrupted, I'm like "Knew it should've been the trusty RoR!" And then when I use RoR and she gets overwhelmed by Dark Horseman, I'm like "TGR could've saved me then!" *sigh*

May 10, 2008, 10:46:40 AM
Reply #3

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 10:46:40 AM »
Sense of Obligation. And your deck might actually be able to pack a pretty hefty punch.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

August 21, 2008, 09:52:52 AM
Reply #4

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: Elves/LoI, Morgul Guard
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »
Surprised I never noticed this deck until now.... :-k

Galadriel's Silver Ewer could be just the ticket you're looking for to protect Galadriel. Boosts her resistance AND strength by 2, and has the added benefit of reinforcing tokens on Namarie whenever you play an [Elven] skirmish event. Yes, it costs [2], but I think it's more than worth it here. :up:

Definately go with RoR as your Ring, though. The Great Ring just isn't a good match with Galadriel unless you have lots more Elves and/or some at least basic burden removal.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".