LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Another question...  (Read 23347 times)

January 29, 2009, 06:30:48 PM
Reply #45

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
Re: Another question...
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2009, 06:30:48 PM »
HawkeyeSPF, you are my hero of a thousand foils.

Translating to the Corsair Marauder:

"Gollum wins a skirmish" = "Minion is played"
first YaLaaT = Shadowplay (unless the FP player passes the opportunity)
Intimidate = Unheeded
second YaLaaT = resolving Corsair Marauder

Geez, you guys were making me think response actions had to wait.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:29:18 PM by Elessar's Socks »

January 30, 2009, 02:26:29 AM
Reply #46

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2009, 02:26:29 AM »
Here is my explanation  :uh-huh: (I like this one  :uh-huh:)

When you play corsair marauder, you put the card very slowly on the table. On his way, you choose a posession. Marauder is still approaching the table. Now, you discard a posession. Meanwhile, Corsair Marauder reaches the table.
Know it hits the table and it is played.
Shadowplay triggers.

LMAO!!!!!! That's awesome, man! Have a  :gp:!

January 30, 2009, 03:07:04 AM
Reply #47

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 03:07:04 AM »
Except... isn't "When you play this minion" (Marauder) an equivalent trigger to "Each time a minion is played" (Shadowplay)? Step 5 of "playing a card" seems to lump them all together. Serious question to Elrohir.

If so, I assumed the FP player can take the first action... or pass and let the Shadow player take the first action.

January 30, 2009, 07:37:18 AM
Reply #48

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 07:37:18 AM »
...perhaps we should really ask an ex-decipher agent to resolve that question... ???
Mithrandir I am known to the Elves, Tharkun to the dwarves; Olorin was the name in my youth in the West which is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; into the East I will not go."

January 30, 2009, 08:46:27 AM
Reply #49

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2009, 08:46:27 AM »
Here is my explanation  :uh-huh: (I like this one  :uh-huh:)

When you play corsair marauder, you put the card very slowly on the table. On his way, you choose a posession. Marauder is still approaching the table. Now, you discard a posession. Meanwhile, Corsair Marauder reaches the table.
Know it hits the table and it is played.
Shadowplay triggers.

I'll work this one just like the Gollum problem:

SP plays Corsair Marauder:
   SP Pays the cost
   Card hits the table
   SP gets to use the card's "When you play..." text first; spots another corsair and discards a weapon to add 2 tokens
   FP gets the first optional action; uses Shadowplay to exert the Marauder
      SP either has no response actions to the Marauder being exerted or passes
      FP gets next optional action to the exertion; plays Unheeded to wound the Marauder, bringing his vitality to zero and killing him
         SP either has no response actions to the Marauder being wounded or passes
         FP gets optional action to the wound; has none, passes
   SP has no more optional actions to the Marauder having been played; passes
   FP has no more optional actions to the Marauder having been played; passes
Corsair Marauder hits discard pile

That all happens in about 1.5 seconds in a tournament folks, because most of it is implied and understood.

In the end, the Marauder does his job. End of story.

January 30, 2009, 04:14:44 PM
Reply #50

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2009, 04:14:44 PM »
Gotcha. If Corsair Marauder must resolve before Shadowplay anyway... there wasn't even a need to throw dying shenanigans into the mix.

"5. Respond to the playing of The Card (and to losing initiative if necessary). Responses or triggered actions that respond to the playing of The Card happen now. If The Card has game text on it that triggers "When you play..." The Card, it happens now. Other cards may respond to the card being played as well."
Could at some point be clarified to "When you play" takes priority.

GP to HawkeyeSPF, Elrohir, and... leokula, because I feel like it, that crazy guy. :gp:

January 30, 2009, 05:55:14 PM
Reply #51

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2009, 05:55:14 PM »
Back to the original question, I am convinced now that Relentless Charge would make Rumil, SE an archer that could be wounded by it.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

September 18, 2012, 04:06:08 PM
Reply #52

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »
Sorry to necro this thread, but I was browing old rules questions and I thought I'd chime in.

Shadowplay/Unheeded CAN kill the Corsair Marauder and effectively prevent a possession from being discarded.

The action prodecure goes like this:

Marauder is played
No required actions are triggered by this, so we move on to optional actions
The FP gets the first optional action, using Shadowplay to exert the Marauder
Unheeded responds to the exertion and kills the Marauder.

The Marauder can't discard a possession because he is no longer in play when his text would come into effect. The Shadow player never even gets the opportunity to trigger the Marauder's text.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

October 20, 2012, 04:32:36 AM
Reply #53

dReeZyr

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2012, 04:32:36 AM »
Hi everyone!
I have a question. Can i heal a minion with the same card in the shadow phase or its working only companions? For example a I played the witch king at the 8. site and me opposite move to the 9. site, the witch king alive and he has 3 wounds, can i heal him if I have a same witch king in my hand?

October 20, 2012, 05:32:58 AM
Reply #54

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2012, 05:32:58 AM »
No, that rule only works with allies and companions. If you could do what you describe, it would be listed in the rules.

October 20, 2012, 10:35:29 AM
Reply #55

Panch

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • Honorable lord
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2012, 10:35:29 AM »
Sorry to necro this thread, but I was browing old rules questions and I thought I'd chime in.

Shadowplay/Unheeded CAN kill the Corsair Marauder and effectively prevent a possession from being discarded.

The action prodecure goes like this:

Marauder is played
No required actions are triggered by this, so we move on to optional actions
The FP gets the first optional action, using Shadowplay to exert the Marauder
Unheeded responds to the exertion and kills the Marauder.

The Marauder can't discard a possession because he is no longer in play when his text would come into effect. The Shadow player never even gets the opportunity to trigger the Marauder's text.

Soooo, Corsair Marauder never triggers though even though he was played? Not trying to argue i just wanna learn. The SP still played him, its like casting in MTG, even though you countered you still get the affect. It just doesnt make sense how the SP plays a minion, and can never resolve the "when this minion is played text"... he was played! I dont know.... stupid rules lol
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."- Eddard Stark

October 20, 2012, 12:49:14 PM
Reply #56

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2012, 12:49:14 PM »
It's simply a matter of the action procedure. FP always gets the first opportunity to respond to anything that occurs in the game. And since a card's text can only be triggered while it is in play*, it is pretty obvious that the Marauder can't discard a possession if he is killed via Shadowplay and Unheeded.

*Some cards specifically say they can work while not in play, such as Gollum, Plotting Deceiver or Ordnance Grunt. But these are obviously the exceptions to the rule. And some cards, when triggered, continue to have a lasting effect even if they leave play, because their text says it lasts a specific amount of time, such as Riddermark Soldier; if he is killed during the turn he is played, he continues to provide a strength bonus to [Rohan] companions until the regroup phase.

October 20, 2012, 12:58:21 PM
Reply #57

dReeZyr

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »
No, that rule only works with allies and companions. If you could do what you describe, it would be listed in the rules.

Thank you very much.

October 24, 2012, 03:04:54 AM
Reply #58

old_scabby

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2012, 03:04:54 AM »
I have a question about archery. Let´s say that I have an minion who says that Legolas does not add to the fellowship archery total (low resistance for example). What happens if the good player then uses "double shot", "splander of their banners" or other +1 archery total-cards? Can the good player use this cards for firing, though his archer doesn´t shoot?

October 24, 2012, 04:46:26 AM
Reply #59

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2012, 04:46:26 AM »
Yes. The archer is still an archer, so he can be spotted as a cost of playing Double Shot and he can use The Splendor of Their Banners.

It of course also works when the archer doesn't add to archery total because of Free Peoples player's actions (for example using ability of Greenleaf).