LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Final Triumph and Coat of Mail  (Read 14392 times)

April 18, 2010, 08:04:02 AM
Reply #15

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
Re: Final Triumph and Coat of Mail
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 08:04:02 AM »
I'm also with teltara on this one. Coat of mail completely creates a new condition for overwhelming, namely that the strength must be tripled. Therefor, I would say he isn't overwhelmed.
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

April 18, 2010, 10:44:58 AM
Reply #16

Sam, Great Elf Warrior

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 10:44:58 AM »
Coat of Mail isnt a cost/effect card. It prevents a certain situation from occuring, like how Rallying Cry stops the FP removing threats. However, the situation it prevents can no longer occur because strength is no longer a factor in the outcome of the skirmish.
So how do you distinguish this from The Tale of the Great Ring? The way I see it:

The Tale of the Great Ring works like this:
 - Restricted Action: The targeted Hobbit is prevented from being overwhelmed, unless
 - Added Requirement: A Shadow event is (or was) played during this skirmish.
This is despite the fact that Shadow events being played are not the basis on which skirmishes are resolved.

Coat of Mail works like this:
 - Restricted Action: Bearer cannot be overwhelmed, unless
 - Added Requirement: His strength is tripled.
So presumably, this should also work despite the fact that strength is not the basis on which the skirmish in question is resolved.

Or are you reading Coat of Mail to say "The overwhelming requirement is raised from doubling to tripling for skirmishes resolved on the basis of strength"?

Thanks for your input, everyone, by the way. I think it seems intuitively like Coat of Mail shouldn't work, but I really don't know how to distinguish Coat of Mail in this situation from The Tale of the Great Ring, since both add an overwhelm requirement that is different from the stat that is used for resolving the skirmish.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:49:10 AM by Sam, Great Elf Warrior »

April 18, 2010, 10:59:41 AM
Reply #17

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 10:59:41 AM »
the tale of the great ring wouldn't matter in a final triumph situation because final triumph is an event, I'm with teltura.
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

April 18, 2010, 11:34:56 AM
Reply #18

Smeagollum

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 11:34:56 AM »
Coat of Mail isnt a cost/effect card. It prevents a certain situation from occuring, like how Rallying Cry stops the FP removing threats. However, the situation it prevents can no longer occur because strength is no longer a factor in the outcome of the skirmish.

But with com it is a factor again.

Bearer must be a Man. Bearer may not be overwhelmed unless his or her strength is tripled.

He can not be overwhelmed unless the strength is tripled. As Final triumph resolves the skirmish on vitality the bearer of com can't be overwhelmed, because he may not be overwhelmed unless strength is trippled. Final triumph becomes useless for overwhelming.

April 18, 2010, 11:45:50 AM
Reply #19

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »
Whether or not you are using strength to determine the outcome of a skirmish (a.k.a., Final Triumph), you do have to look at strength to see if a companion is overwhelmed with Heavy Chain or Coat of Mail or Bounder or anything else of that sort.
-wtk

April 18, 2010, 12:21:38 PM
Reply #20

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »
The effect of this card changes the requirements for resolving a skirmish ... Only cards or effects that increase or decrease vitality directly would alter the resolution of a skirmish in which this card was played.

Final Triumph removes strength from the resolution.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

April 18, 2010, 12:32:10 PM
Reply #21

Sam, Great Elf Warrior

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 12:32:10 PM »
The effect of this card changes the requirements for resolving a skirmish ... Only cards or effects that increase or decrease vitality directly would alter the resolution of a skirmish in which this card was played.

But does Coat of Mail alter the resolution, or does it add a requirement for overwhelming (similar to The Tale of the Great Ring)? It seems to me that it adds an additional requirement. If Final Triumph wasn't an event, The Tale of the Great Ring would work, so why won't Coat of Mail?

Similarly, wouldn't Armor keep a companion from taking more than one wound from losing a skirmish involving Final Triumph, even though Armor doesn't directly affect vitality?

April 18, 2010, 01:12:15 PM
Reply #22

Smeagollum

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 01:12:15 PM »

Exactly and that's the same reason why bearer of com can't be overwhelmed, because his strength can't be trippled!

April 18, 2010, 02:02:57 PM
Reply #23

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 02:02:57 PM »
His strength no longer matters, and Coat of Mail prevents overwhelms against the usual double strength, but strength is no longer factored into the resolution.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

April 18, 2010, 04:44:33 PM
Reply #24

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 04:44:33 PM »
... and Coat of Mail prevents overwhelms against the usual double strength, but strength is no longer factored into the resolution.

but the question remains, can he be overwhelmed?  Coat of Mail does not read, "Bearer may not be overwhelmed unless the factor being used to calculate the skirmish is tripled by the opponent", it simply says, "unless his strength is tripled". 

His strength no longer matters....

I think that's our main problem here.  Your argument seems to assume that Final Triumph makes every card that references strength to be moot, and I don't think that's the case.  If there were another card that said something like "While bearer is strength 6 or higher..." I think its effects would still be in play, even though the skirmish no longer relies on it for its consummation.

even though it's not a strict Cost/Effect event or ability, I still think the terminology is useful.  There is a cost of sorts....the strength must not be tripled.  And if that cost is fulfilled, then the effect is in play....bearer may not be overwhelmed.  I think rewording Coat of Mail like this would be the exact same thing:

"While a skirmishing minion's strength is less than triple bearer's, bearer may not be overwhelmed."

Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

April 18, 2010, 08:37:21 PM
Reply #25

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »
From the notes:

The effect of this card changes the requirements for resolving a skirmish. As a result, none of the cards that previously had an effect on strength during a skirmish have any effect on a skirmish in which this card is played. Only cards or effects that increase or decrease vitality directly would alter the resolution of a skirmish in which this card was played.

April 18, 2010, 10:41:33 PM
Reply #26

Smeagollum

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 10:41:33 PM »
From the notes:

The effect of this card changes the requirements for resolving a skirmish. As a result, none of the cards that previously had an effect on strength during a skirmish have any effect on a skirmish in which this card is played. Only cards or effects that increase or decrease vitality directly would alter the resolution of a skirmish in which this card was played.

We don't question the resolvement of the skirmish. We say: Okay you win, but as you can not tripple the strength you're not able to overwhelm; so just a wound.

April 19, 2010, 12:53:11 AM
Reply #27

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 12:53:11 AM »
If you read the notes, you would have noticed that it said none of the cards that previously had an effect on strength during a skirmish have any effect on a skirmish in which this card is played.

April 19, 2010, 02:27:03 AM
Reply #28

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 02:27:03 AM »
I agree with Lurtzy. Although One Last Surprise still might negate the effect of Final Triumph... Depending on the order they are played maybe..

I also think that should Armor vs Final Triumph and the companion survives, he should take no more than one wound. (Although I think that part is pretty clear).

April 20, 2010, 10:48:02 AM
Reply #29

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 10:48:02 AM »
If you read the notes, you would have noticed that it said none of the cards that previously had an effect on strength during a skirmish have any effect on a skirmish in which this card is played.

you'll also note that CoM and other similar actions don't have an effect on strength, rather, they have an effect that is based on strength.  There's a significant difference between the two.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.