LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Followers, aid, transfering etc..  (Read 16573 times)

June 28, 2010, 04:37:04 AM
Read 16573 times

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Followers, aid, transfering etc..
« on: June 28, 2010, 04:37:04 AM »
From Page 36 of The Hunters Starter Rulebook under Followers:

Each follower has the keyword "Aid" which you can use to transfer that follower to one of your companions.

From Page 38 under Aid:

The follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter how often the fellowship moves.

My questions:

1. Does anyone have an argument that followers CAN be transferred from character to character if the fellowship double moves? (I believe they have to stay on the same character for the whole turn).

2. Does the same apply for Saruman, Servant of Sauron? All references to followers talk about 'companions' and 'fellowships', what about 'minions' and 'evil followers'?

3. Situation: If Saruman, SoS can be transferred from minion to minion if the free peoples player double moves then Isengard Ruined is played and Olorin wins the game by killing Treebeard, If Saruman cannot be transferred from Nazgul to Nazgul, I survive and win... What happens?

June 28, 2010, 06:38:50 AM
Reply #1

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: Followers, aid, transfering etc..
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 06:38:50 AM »
I don't believe the rulebook is completely clear regarding this.  So short of an "official" ruling, which I think in the end is what would really be needed, here's what I would say:

Since "Aid" is used to transfer to a companion or minion, but it doesn't specify where you transfer it from (Support Area verses another companion or minion). I would interpret that transferring is allowed.  However, based on what is said on page 38, that the follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn; I wonder if that is just clarifying that the follower doesn't return to the support area during the regroup phase (or when the fellowship moves), but can still be transferred if something allows it to be.  For example, Sam, Bearer of Great Need can transfer a follower to the support area, even thought the default rule is for him to bear it for the rest of the turn.

In summary, in short of an "official" clarification, I would interpret that followers (Free Peoples and Shadow) can be transferred.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 06:40:25 AM by Tbiesty »

June 28, 2010, 09:58:33 AM
Reply #2

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:58:33 AM »
Well, i asked myself those questions pretty often, as I have a copy of Woodhall Elf, Exile in each of my Standard elven Decks, while this should be really nice for double- or triple moves (Radagast).

I think yes. On all questions. The whole thing should work, so if a card says "at the start of the maneuver phase" and there are no other restrictions, it's very simple.

"All cards do what they say", a wise men once said... or was it just a creature from Tatooine? I don't know.

June 28, 2010, 10:25:56 AM
Reply #3

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:25:56 AM »
IMO the intent isn't clear here. However, both Merrick and Bib have said that transferring is allowed (here and here), so that's how I'd play.

June 28, 2010, 05:17:18 PM
Reply #4

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 05:17:18 PM »

The follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter how often the fellowship moves.

So this means nothing then?

June 28, 2010, 05:24:11 PM
Reply #5

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 05:24:11 PM »
Just read the rulebooks again, and I think that the only transferring that can be done is between a companion and the support-area. I see nowhere to suggest that they can simply be transferred between companions.

June 28, 2010, 05:26:43 PM
Reply #6

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 05:26:43 PM »

Besides cards that specifically remove followers beforehand (such as BOGN), I think this is true.

June 29, 2010, 05:43:13 AM
Reply #7

tristelune

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 05:43:13 AM »
IMO the intent isn't clear here. However, both Merrick and Bib have said that transferring is allowed (here and here), so that's how I'd play.

Speaking of Bib, where is he??

June 29, 2010, 06:14:07 AM
Reply #8

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 06:14:07 AM »
In my region Austria/Germany we play that followers may be transferred at the strat of the maneuver phase - if you have doubled, you may transfer the follower from one companion to another, as long as you pay the cost (aid) for it - that's like we manage this... so, is it correct? (--> lore text on follower says: transfer at the start of the maneuver phase - no word of "from support area").
Mithrandir I am known to the Elves, Tharkun to the dwarves; Olorin was the name in my youth in the West which is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; into the East I will not go."

June 29, 2010, 09:03:19 AM
Reply #9

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 09:03:19 AM »
In my region Austria/Germany we play that followers may be transferred at the strat of the maneuver phase - if you have doubled, you may transfer the follower from one companion to another, as long as you pay the cost (aid) for it - that's like we manage this... so, is it correct? (--> lore text on follower says: transfer at the start of the maneuver phase - no word of "from support area").

that's exactly what I said, and how I handle it.

June 29, 2010, 04:56:36 PM
Reply #10

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 04:56:36 PM »

I think you guys are playing it wrong. Do you just choose to ignore the above sentence!?

June 29, 2010, 04:59:51 PM
Reply #11

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 04:59:51 PM »
I didn't.

June 29, 2010, 05:24:20 PM
Reply #12

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
Yeah, I agree with you Lurtzy and the rulebook. Everyone else must not care that it says followers stay for the whole turn..

June 29, 2010, 11:23:23 PM
Reply #13

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 11:23:23 PM »
 From Page 38 of The Hunters Starter Rulebook under Followers:

During the regroup phase, when the Free Peoples player reconciles and minions are discarded, each follower is transferred back to the support area (at no cost).

In later turns, that follower may again be transferred to a companion (the same one or a diiferent one, your choice)

This also suggests to me that followers are only meant to be transferred once per turn.

June 30, 2010, 07:20:26 AM
Reply #14

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 07:20:26 AM »
We'll getting into some serious problems in here.. one side says "yes" and the other side "no" while there's n o way to prove any of the opinions, only by interpretation, which doesn't seem really good to me...

Hawkeye, are you outta here? Could you help us?

June 30, 2010, 12:38:45 PM
Reply #15

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 12:38:45 PM »

The impression I had was that followers weren't meant to be transferred between companions (seriously, it feels sneaky), but impressions might mean squat on technical grounds. Maybe the above quote is just meant to reassure players not to detach followers prematurely, sort of like how the sentence after that is reassuring players not to pay the aid cost again.

The helper text itself doesn't bar a companion-companion transfer (unlike "transfer this to a companion from your support area"), and if the quote can trump game text, then BoGN is in trouble.

June 30, 2010, 05:35:14 PM
Reply #16

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 05:35:14 PM »
The helper text itself doesn't bar a companion-companion transfer (unlike "transfer this to a companion from your support area"), and if the quote can trump game text, then BoGN is in trouble.

Which brings us back to Whisper In The Dark vs 'followers cannot bear other cards'.

I know Lurtzy will disagree with me on this, but I think Whisper's text does let it be played on followers.  (Whisper's game text trumps rule)

I think BoGN game text can be used. (Game text trumps rule)

I think followers cannot be transferred more than once per turn. (There is no game text to trump the rule: "The follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter how often the fellowship moves.") Besides BoGN.

June 30, 2010, 06:07:02 PM
Reply #17

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 06:07:02 PM »

Which brings us back to Whisper In The Dark vs 'followers cannot bear other cards'.

I know Lurtzy will disagree with me on this, but I think Whisper's text does let it be played on followers.  (Whisper's game text trumps rule)

I think BoGN game text can be used. (Game text trumps rule)

I think followers cannot be transferred more than once per turn. (There is no game text to trump the rule: "The follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter how often the fellowship moves.") Besides BoGN.

WIND says that followers are the only ones allowed to bear it. This does not give the follower the ability to bear it, only that followers are the only ones who, if being allowed to bear cards, could.

June 30, 2010, 06:13:02 PM
Reply #18

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 06:13:02 PM »
Why was Whisper In The Dark printed then?

June 30, 2010, 06:57:33 PM
Reply #19

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »
I think it was 1 guy who did the last 3 sets all by himself, and he didn't have a lot of time. I guess he forgot about that rule.

June 30, 2010, 11:32:13 PM
Reply #20

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 11:32:13 PM »
More likely he assumed people would understand this card is allowed to be born by a follower. I don't think it's necessary to add: 'This card may be borne by a follower'. If it was necessary, you have to add something similar to all cards that bend the rules.. and there are plenty that do.

Anyway, it's obvious no one knows all the rules correctly otherwise there would be no arguments.

I have still seen nothing to convince me that followers can be transferred more than once per turn, so that is how I will play from now on.

Followers transferred once only per turn and Whisper In the Dark can be used.

This is the way I think Decipher intended it to be, so that's what I'll go with. I respect everyone's opinion, thanks all for the input.

July 01, 2010, 01:40:39 AM
Reply #21

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 01:40:39 AM »
And I am with you MuadDib, you jumping mouse!
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

July 01, 2010, 01:14:50 PM
Reply #22

mardukra

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 01:14:50 PM »
So, on this topic of unclear/unfinished rules concerning followers and aid, the rules state what happens to followers at the end of turn and when their bearers are killed.  How about when their bearer is returned to hand like wobas?

July 01, 2010, 02:14:35 PM
Reply #23

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 02:14:35 PM »
Followers borne by him are discarded, in line with the "leaving play" rules.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 02:16:06 PM by Elessar's Armpits »

July 05, 2010, 02:10:39 PM
Reply #24

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 02:10:39 PM »
and again: Can followers be transferred from companions to companions at the start of the maneuver phase (e.g. if you already have moved once this turn?)

I think yes. - and yes, I read the rulebook - but my understand of that is that i can transfer it though - coz i need not let the follower attached to that one companion, but i can do without paying cost again - I think I can choose how to do.
Mithrandir I am known to the Elves, Tharkun to the dwarves; Olorin was the name in my youth in the West which is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; into the East I will not go."

July 05, 2010, 05:06:53 PM
Reply #25

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 05:06:53 PM »

If you are playing against me, you cannot transfer them more than once per turn and Whisper In The Dark is allowed.

July 07, 2010, 01:03:25 AM
Reply #26

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Life isn't a dress rehearsal.
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 01:03:25 AM »
If you are playing against me, you cannot transfer them more than once per turn and Whisper In The Dark is allowed.

Ditto!
"Do yourself a favor; never try to send a grappling hook through the post office."

Trade List

July 08, 2010, 10:05:55 PM
Reply #27

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 10:05:55 PM »
:gp: for Gil-Estel and Anautikus for not being swayed to the Dark Side. ;D

July 09, 2010, 04:59:47 AM
Reply #28

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 04:59:47 AM »
So what about Bayreuth? if I come (and I hope I'll be able to) I might pack in my Elven Deck with Exile! And as I there's no rule that prevetns a follower from being transferred from a comp to a comp...

July 09, 2010, 06:48:25 AM
Reply #29

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 06:48:25 AM »

And as I there's no rule that prevetns a follower from being transferred from a comp to a comp...

This rule prevents it:

July 18, 2010, 11:38:23 PM
Reply #30

mardukra

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2010, 11:38:23 PM »

January 31, 2014, 06:52:29 AM
Reply #31

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 06:52:29 AM »
I feel like this issue was never truly resolved, and on Gemp it has arisen again:

There is a disagreement on Gemp about how the way Followers are supposed to work. Specifically, whether or not you can transfer them from one companion to another at the start of a second (or third) Maneuver Phase. Aradriss, who says he's a judge on LOTR championships, claims that Followers can only be transferred from your support area to a companion, not from one companion to another. Is he right, or not? Here's what the Hunters Rulebook has to say about Followers (I have bolded what I think are the pertinent parts):

Followers
Follower is a new card type. A follower represents help for
your fellowship that joins for a short time and then departs.
Followers are not members of your fellowship. They are not
allies or companions. They are not characters, although they
are often named and depicted with images of people from
the story. Even though a follower may seem as if it were an
Elf or Hobbit or Wizard, it can't be spotted as such because
a follower doesn't have a race on its card type line. Followers
can't bear other cards, including possessions or conditions.
A follower is played to your support area. While your
follower is in your support area, it has no effect on the game.
Each follower has the keyword "Aid" (see below) which you
can use to transfer that follower to one of your companions.

When your follower is borne by a companion, that follower
will provide an ongoing effect or a special ability that
may then be used. A companion may bear more than one
follower. If that companion is killed, all of its followers are
discarded, just like other cards borne by that companion.
During the regroup phase, when the Free Peoples player
reconciles and minions are discarded, each follower is
transferred back to the support area (at no cost). Follower
cards have a gold circle in the upper left to remind you to
return them to the support area.
In later turns, that follower may again be transferred to a
companion (the same one or a different one, your choice)
using the above procedure.

Aid
This keyword has the form of "Aid – X," where "X" is the
cost to use the aid keyword. You use the aid keyword as
a maneuver action. At the start of the maneuver phase,
you may pay the aid cost to transfer that follower to your
companion.
Place it beneath the card, just like a possession
or condition borne by that companion. The follower is
borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter
how often your fellowship moves.
You don't have to pay
the aid cost again for a follower borne by a companion in a
subsequent maneuver phase.

Additionally, many Follower cards have clarification text in parentheses that says, "(At the start of the maneuver phase, you may ____ to transfer this to a ____.)" No mention of the card having to be in the support area to do this.

So, on the one hand, the definition of "Aid" only specifies "transfer to companion" not "transfer from support area to companion." However, the definition of "Aid" also says, "The follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter how often your fellowship moves," which seems to indicate that it stays on that same companion, you can't transfer it to a different guy during subsequent moves.

I know around here it's generally accepted on Gemp that you can transfer Followers from one companion to another (or one minion to another, in Saruman's case), but is there actually an additional rules basis for that view? If so, what is it? As various other posters have noted upthread, "The follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter how often your fellowship moves," seems to indicate you can't. That was also the consensus here:

http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,5480.0.html

So, is Gemp doing it wrong? Considering how massively powerful Followers are when you can transfer them every move, perhaps limiting this to once-per-turn actually makes sense, and is what Decipher intended when they designed them?
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

January 31, 2014, 08:19:40 AM
Reply #32

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 08:19:40 AM »
The correct way of playing it is, you can re-transfer them from companion-to-companion if you double move.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

January 31, 2014, 09:13:34 AM
Reply #33

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 09:13:34 AM »
The correct way of playing it is, you can re-transfer them from companion-to-companion if you double move.

Yes, I get that you have said that before. But what is your basis for saying that? The wording of the Rulebook, "The follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter how often your fellowship moves," as well as the consensus on what Decipher's intent was in this thread:

http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,5480.0.html

...all seem to indicate that, once you use the Aid feature at the start of a maneuver phase, that Follower remains on the targeted companion (or minion) unless some specific game text overrides that.

January 31, 2014, 09:35:40 AM
Reply #34

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »
The rulebook says that to clarify that the follower doesn't go back to your support area until your turn ends.

January 31, 2014, 10:32:53 AM
Reply #35

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 10:32:53 AM »
The rulebook says that to clarify that the follower doesn't go back to your support area until your turn ends.

That is certainly one interpretation. But how do you know that this is all that sentence was intended to mean? The rules never talk about transferring followers between companions, and if "The follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn" is part of the definition of "Aid" (which it is), that would seem to preclude the possibility of transferring that Follower off of that companion to a different companion. After all, then it wouldn't be borne by the initial companion for the rest of the turn. And this isn't a case of game text overriding the rules, since all of this is encompassed in the definition of the "Aid" loaded keyword.

Are you aware of any official tournament rulings, or anything else that would clarify Decipher's original intent?

Just read the rulebooks again, and I think that the only transferring that can be done is between a companion and the support-area. I see nowhere to suggest that they can simply be transferred between companions.

From Page 38 of The Hunters Starter Rulebook under Followers:

During the regroup phase, when the Free Peoples player reconciles and minions are discarded, each follower is transferred back to the support area (at no cost).

In later turns, that follower may again be transferred to a companion (the same one or a diiferent one, your choice)

This also suggests to me that followers are only meant to be transferred once per turn.

For easy reference, these are all the rules we have for followers. Now it is very significant that at no point in the description of the aid keyword does it specifically say it has to transfer from the support area.

However, the follower section suggests to me that this was always the intention, especially the line I've made bold above.

So, as far as I can see, while technically the rules do not forbid transferring from companion to companion, we are also ruling on intentions here, and the intention seems to me that this should not be the case.

I would suggest a clarification for the aid phrasing in the Unofficial Rulebook: Aid – X (Pay X to transfer this follower from your support area to your non-ally character). (This also applies the same text to Shadow followers).

Thranduil

Finally located Decipher's article on followers (part 1, part 2), but the explanation is what's found in the rulebook.

No objections on my end if transfers were restricted. I think that if companion-to-companion transfers were intended, the rules would point this out somewhere.

Thran's suggestion sounds good.

Option 1 it is.  The "Unofficial Rulebook" has been updated.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:35:22 AM by sgtdraino »

January 31, 2014, 05:18:41 PM
Reply #36

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 05:18:41 PM »
The bottom line is, the cards allow it and the rules don't forbid it. You can transfer followers from companion to companion on a second move, regardless of anyone's opinion to the contrary.

January 31, 2014, 05:30:18 PM
Reply #37

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 05:30:18 PM »
The only way the cards would allow it, would be if cards had specific game text that permits it. They do not. There is the bit inside the parenthesis, but that is not game text and is not supposed to directly affect the game. What governs the way Followers work, is the "Aid" loaded keyword, and that is fully-defined by the rules in the rulebook, not by italic text in parentheses.

January 31, 2014, 06:11:57 PM
Reply #38

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »
Nowhere in the rules does it say it has to transfer from the support area. Contrast this with the Gondor fortifications and the answer is obvious.

February 05, 2014, 09:33:37 PM
Reply #39

dethwish07

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Not all who wander are lost
    • My Blog: The Archives of Minas Tirith
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 09:33:37 PM »
Just wanted to point this out:

http://lotrtcgwiki.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4304&start=10&sid=fa3f2e3cde5c64234fe02a9dbe909246

User Manu-fan posts a little ways down the thread. That username is probably familiar to you if you have browsed CC, Decktech.net, or Deciphers boards. He notes that multiple transfers of the same follower in a single turn was discussed and confirmed as legal on the Decipher boards. Merrick's (a DAgent and Rider of Rohan) analysis of the situation also indicates that this is correct as well. I attempted to use the wayback machine to confirm but no gameplay subforum pages beyond the first are archived. However, to try and settle things once and for all, I have tried contacting Girard (Design Lead of Bloodlines) via twitter. I have also tried to go straight to the horse's mouth, Mr. Tom Lischke, the man who designed the follower card type, via facebook. I'll post any responses from them here, assuming I get any.

February 06, 2014, 10:37:40 AM
Reply #40

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 10:37:40 AM »
Thank you for taking the effort to research the matter more fully, dethwish. Good luck with Tom, I had a contact in Decipher at one point too, but last time I went to him with a question I got no response. For the record, I originally thought you could transfer during every maneuver phase too, but that guy I played got me rethinking things.

Also for the record, honestly, I think restricting the transfers would make followers a lot more balanced. If the rules are vague enough such that it could be interpreted either way, I think it's probably better for the game if Followers were depowered a bit.

February 06, 2014, 02:46:21 PM
Reply #41

Zurcamos

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • Global Mod
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »
I find these debates so frustrating since they boil down to opinion vs. opinion.  There are people here that I'm shocked anyone still listens to.  They have an inability to see themselves as wrong, no matter how many times their self-proclaimed, irrefutable logic is proven to be quite refutable.

In the end, it doesn't matter anyway, because what (I imagine) everyone else REALLY wants is for interpretation of rules in Gemp to be reevaluated and/or changed, and I don't think that happens.  Gemp is a dictatorship, not a democracy, and though the king may be wrong, nobody wants exile.

Edit: My :gp: was at +9 the last time I logged in.  Guess one of the people I mentioned above accomplished some pretty impressive/mature revenge... :roll:  Remember when playing/discussing this (dead) card game on the internet used to be a pleasant experience?  I do.  I miss it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:03:43 PM by Zurcamos »

February 06, 2014, 03:09:38 PM
Reply #42

dethwish07

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 03:09:38 PM »
In my view, things should be left as they are. I used to be one of the people who really wanted a Player's Committee like Star Wars and Star Trek have (I played both of these games as well, star wars more so). Those PC's have done a great job carrying on those games and balancing them (in my opinion, anyway).

However, due to a lack of consensus and a cohesive effort on the part of LotR players, a LotR TCG PC has never materialized. 2E seemed like an attempt to start over and be more balanced (much in the same way 2E did for Star Trek), but the hype around it has subsided and it appears to have fallen by the way side, at least somewhat. So, I'm of the position that until we have a broad consensus for a PC, there should be no rules changes, banned or restricted list changes, etc. I would not support modifying the way followers are currently playable on Gemp as that is how I and my play group have played them since their release in 2005. I'll gladly reconsider, but it would take some major movement on the part of players (or a response from Mr. Lischke). Ultimately, Marcin can make the decision regarding rules within Gemp. That's his call.

Lastly, if we are looking at changing things for power level reasons, there are higher priority problem cards/combos.

My $0.02

@Zurcamos: I assume the king you are referring to is Marcin? I think he has done an excellent job trying to maintain the game Decipher gave us in Gemp just as they gave it to us, for good or ill. If you have a problem with the way things play on gemp, your problem should be with Decipher. If Marcin were to just change the rules to fit his own design rather than trying to implement Deciphers game as it was released and played, then he would be the dictator you mention.

Lastly, clearly the majority of people playing on gemp find it acceptable, or I'd imagine we'd have a whole lot more people here complaining as opposed to the vocal few who do actually raise their concerns/complaints.

Sorry if I've misunderstood you. If I have, please clarify.

February 06, 2014, 03:45:06 PM
Reply #43

Zurcamos

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • Global Mod
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »
I assume the king you are referring to is Marcin? I think he has done an excellent job trying to maintain the game Decipher gave us in Gemp just as they gave it to us, for good or ill. If you have a problem with the way things play on gemp, your problem should be with Decipher. If Marcin were to just change the rules to fit his own design rather than trying to implement Deciphers game as it was released and played, then he would be the dictator you mention.

Lastly, clearly the majority of people playing on gemp find it acceptable, or I'd imagine we'd have a whole lot more people here complaining as opposed to the vocal few who do actually raise their concerns/complaints.

Sorry if I've misunderstood you. If I have, please clarify.

I never mentioned changing rules.  Obviously, there are pretty big disagreements about how some rules should be interpreted.  Marcin chose which interpretations to implement.  Those decisions are on him, not Decipher, regardless of how poorly the D handled things.  He's a dictator whether you or I agree with those decisions or not, because he alone is in complete control.  I didn't say he was a bad king; I just said he was the king.  Now, should there be changes?  It's his site, and he can do what he wants, blah blah blah, but I very much think some of his interpretations, and some of the ones on this site, are not always the best or most correct.  I think some of them make the game less enjoyable.  Does it matter what I or anyone else thinks though?  Nope.  That's why it's frustrating.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 04:18:16 PM by Zurcamos »

February 06, 2014, 03:55:28 PM
Reply #44

dethwish07

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »
Thanks for clarifying your position. For what it is worth, I understand your frustration.

February 07, 2014, 06:25:47 AM
Reply #45

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2014, 06:25:47 AM »
I find these debates so frustrating since they boil down to opinion vs. opinion.  There are people here that I'm shocked anyone still listens to.  They have an inability to see themselves as wrong, no matter how many times their self-proclaimed, irrefutable logic is proven to be quite refutable.

I don't know who you're referring to, but I don't think anyone's opinion should be dismissed out-of-hand.

In the end, it doesn't matter anyway, because what (I imagine) everyone else REALLY wants is for interpretation of rules in Gemp to be reevaluated and/or changed, and I don't think that happens.  Gemp is a dictatorship, not a democracy, and though the king may be wrong, nobody wants exile.

Speaking for myself, what I truly want first and foremost is the official word from Decipher on the matter. I want the game to be played properly, by-the-book, whatever that happens to be.

If there is no clear official ruling on the matter, if it is unclear which interpretation is correct, then I would go with whichever one seems to be best for the game.

Edit: My :gp: was at +9 the last time I logged in.  Guess one of the people I mentioned above accomplished some pretty impressive/mature revenge... :roll:  Remember when playing/discussing this (dead) card game on the internet used to be a pleasant experience?  I do.  I miss it.

I feel your pain. My :gp: has been at a consistently negative level ever since I first disagreed with a few prominent members about a ruling. I absolutely think it is wrong to ding someone's :gp: level just because you have a difference of opinion with them. I don't know who's targeted you, but it isn't me.